Petition for Dreamcast 2: 2nd Shot

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Post by Juan »

Fragger wrote:
DaMadFiddler wrote:If you really want to play DC games again, your time would be better spent pushing for DC games on Xbox Live Arcade and Wii Virtual Console.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the Wii, the 360 or the PS3 have enough power to accurately emulate a Dreamcast.
Why not? Chanka works on crappy PCs, and they even talked about a (regular) Xbox version.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Juan wrote:
Fragger wrote:
DaMadFiddler wrote:If you really want to play DC games again, your time would be better spent pushing for DC games on Xbox Live Arcade and Wii Virtual Console.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the Wii, the 360 or the PS3 have enough power to accurately emulate a Dreamcast.
Why not? Chanka works on crappy PCs, and they even talked about a (regular) Xbox version.
Yea, and how many games ran flawlessly? Because that's all that's required for commercial emulation.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

Quzar wrote:
Juan wrote:
Fragger wrote:
Yea, and how many games ran flawlessly? Because that's all that's required for commercial emulation.
It's just an example. Chanka isn't a commercial project anyway :roll: But still, it's pretty good.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Well, chanka does happen to be the product of something like 4 years of many different people writing different emulators and having all sorts of leaked documents from sega (that are MUCH more detailled than what we can get ahold of on el interneto). I'm not saying that it couldn't be done professionally, but proper emulation would probably be extremely difficult.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Luriden »

No. Just...no.
Hobbes T Tiger
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Hobbes T Tiger »

Quzar wrote: I'm not saying that it couldn't be done professionally, but proper emulation would probably be extremely difficult.
You could say the same for PSX emulation, Saturn emulation etc... with commercial resources these things work flawlessly.
Sega of Japan wrote:Offline - No confusion! No Boring! No Silence!
Online - No Loneliness! No Typing!
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Some one lock this it is no longer on topic anyways.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Hobbes T Tiger wrote:
Quzar wrote: I'm not saying that it couldn't be done professionally, but proper emulation would probably be extremely difficult.
You could say the same for PSX emulation, Saturn emulation etc... with commercial resources these things work flawlessly.
The problem is that the way the Dreamcast's video hardware works makes it extremely difficult to emulate fully in video hardware, as opposed to the ps and saturn. Only the newest cards have some hardware that can do anything close.
jim0_0
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Mods/Admins Please Delete.

Post by jim0_0 »

Mods/Admins Please Delete.
Last edited by jim0_0 on Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

All the remaining items where thrown out at the most amazing discounted prices.

I remember Lan-Kwei liquidating tons of Dreamcast stuff somewhere around 2002 or 03.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Well my brain started working again so I'm Back

ROUND 2
2nd Shot

Tec Toy is still manufacturing Mega Drive 2 (in silver), They are also manufacturing portable SMS (it's not Game Gear). Why not also manufacture Dreamcast 2 (something like Treamcast). What they do may not be for American or European market nonetheless this plan would be good for Brazil and also provide us an alternate place to buy Treamcast from.

If you read the mini bio below they also translate games. This would be great news for Brizilliains who would get awesome Japanese games translated into there own language. (Maybe somehow we could some Japanese games in our language).

So far I haven't found a problem with this plan...

(check the main page for info on Tec Toy)
Eckostyle
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by Eckostyle »

Anyone remember nymus? Yeah.

Anyway, dont bother. Nice idea, will never happen.
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

Eckostyle wrote:Anyone remember nymus? Yeah.
Please, don't even bring that jackass up.
nymus wrote:Trust me, it doesn't matter that Dreamcast has been discontinued. If interest builds up, it won't be hard to restart manufacturing Dreamcast. Dreamcast was built with parts from companies that are STILL making them. (Hitachi, Yamaha, PowerVR). Sega aren't stupid. All they're waiting for is a small sign. If we gave it to them, we could see Dreamcast back on shelves in weeks!!
nymus wrote:Trust me, Xylene, Sega isn't blind. All they need is a sign. A small sign....
This was in the end of 2003, but still rediculous.

viewtopic.php?p=405484&highlight=weeks#405484

Read for old time's sake if you get bored.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

No way. Tec Toy only keeps selling MS & MD because the games are built-in. They don't sell cartridges anymore (except maybe for Show do Milhão). A DC is much more expensive to manufacture than a MS or MD, and there's no reasonable way to build the games into the console, so Tec Toy would be forced to press GD-ROM discs.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
ryan_n_waggoner
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by ryan_n_waggoner »

emulate? probably not. porting, however, shouldn't be that difficult.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

1)What about the new games Tec Toy releases? Are they also built in?

2) They are selling dreamcasts (which either means they purchased massively in the heyday or they are still manufacturing) either way slapping an LCD on the system and a VCD/MP3 player device attachment is not to hard.

Look guys I can even think of a 100 problems, but be helpful, brainstorm, If you see a problem try and think of a solution as well. I know the plan isn't perfect but that's why I am discussing it.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

BILAL_XIA wrote:1)What about the new games Tec Toy releases? Are they also built in?
http://asp.tectoy.com.br/videogame/mega/jogos.asp
Here's the list of games available in cartridge form. There's only 14 carts available (a 10-in-1 and another 13 individual games), and I assure you that it's almost impossible to find any of these cartridges in the stores.
BILAL_XIA wrote:2) They are selling dreamcasts (which either means they purchased massively in the heyday or they are still manufacturing)
They surely aren't manufacturing DCs.
BILAL_XIA wrote:either way slapping an LCD on the system and a VCD/MP3 player device attachment is not to hard.
It isn't hard but would make the system more expensive than a regular DC, which is already too expensive for most people around here. A normal DC from Tec Toy goes for R$ 650 around here, so it doesn't make sense for people outside of Brazil to import it. Brazilian DCs are slightly more expensive than a Wii in the US, and a Brazilian Treamcast would probably cost as much as a Xbox 360.
BILAL_XIA wrote:Look guys I can even think of a 100 problems, but be helpful, brainstorm, If you see a problem try and think of a solution as well. I know the plan isn't perfect but that's why I am discussing it.
I'd love to find some solutions, but it really seems there isn't any. I guess the DC isn't powerful enough to compete with the latest consoles, and at the same time it's too powerful to become a cheap alternative.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Well what you said is insightful...

So Plan B failed as well... but know this I'll Be Back!!! hopefully with something more solid.
ThePoetEmrys
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by ThePoetEmrys »

Fragger wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the Wii, the 360 or the PS3 have enough power to accurately emulate a Dreamcast.
Yea, your wrong there, the 360 plays all its Xbox games through software emulation, and the PS3 in PAL regions does all its PS2/PS1 games through emulation. If both of these consoles can emulate their predecessor's they can definatly do the DC
Jet Set Radio!!!!!!
Thomas
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

ThePoetEmrys wrote:
Fragger wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the Wii, the 360 or the PS3 have enough power to accurately emulate a Dreamcast.
Yea, your wrong there, the 360 plays all its Xbox games through software emulation, and the PS3 in PAL regions does all its PS2/PS1 games through emulation. If both of these consoles can emulate their predecessor's they can definatly do the DC
Not necessarily. The hardware difference between a console and it's previous generation are generally mild compared to systems created by another company. I'm not saying they can't emulate the DC, just saying because it can play prior generations of itself dosen't mean it can emulate other hardware.