is there any Dreamcast Region Patcher?

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
two-rok
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

is there any Dreamcast Region Patcher?

Post by two-rok »

hi

i got this little utility "Saturn Region Patcher" which is used to check in which region is a backup CD or an image file, and it's also possible to patch the image files into another region (but i don't use the patch feature as i want to keep my backups as legit as possible), this utility also shows other info like the header info, which contains info on the release date, product number, manufacturer number, etc.

so i was wondering if there is such an utility for Sega Dreamcast

help appreciatted

cheers
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

I'd say if it's for backups, you won't get an answer here. Whether it's one you made yourself, or got off a friend or downloaded from the internet, DCEmulation will not help you as our rules clearly state that.
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

The only way to get round it with ORIGINAL Dreamcast games is either via a mod chip or one of the various import discs available.
two-rok
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by two-rok »

well since there's no way to read a GD-ROM in a computer CD/DVD drive, all we can do, related to dreamcast, in a computer it will have to be with a backup, right?

and since i don't have a way to backup my dreamcast games, i was hoping to download backups of them and then after downloading, i wanted to be sure that they were really EUR versions and not region patched versions of US or JAP versions, that why i needed to know if it exists such an utility like the saturn region patcher which is used for sega saturn related image files, originals and backups

i mean it's totally fine to have a backup of something we own the original, right? or you guys here don't agree with this?

skynet, i'm sorry if i wasn't 100% clear in the 1st post

cheers
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

skynet, i'm sorry if i wasn't 100% clear in the 1st post
I knew exactly what you meant, and I told you... we can't help. You further dig yourself a hole by saying you need to download the games.

At any rate, as mat said you can use a modchip or boot disc option for your originals. And if you have the original game, either of these options will allow you to play your games in your selected region, NTSC or PAL. I use the freely available boot disc method to boot Seaman as it's an NTSC import.

So either option will work. Use the free boot disc/purchase one, or get yourself a mod chip. This way it all stays legal and you have nothing to worry about. Plus no need to burn CDRs.

two-rok
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by two-rok »

Matisfaction wrote:The only way to get round it with ORIGINAL Dreamcast games is either via a mod chip or one of the various import discs available.
my dreamcast has a modchip installed, which is meant to let me play import discs without a bootdisk

what i was asking is if there's a utility that i can check the info on a backup CD and/or image file (of a game i own the original, off course), so i can see the product number (for example my Virtua Fighter 3TB (EUR) is MK-51001-53) and the current region code, then i could know if the product number and the region code is the same of my original games.
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

Skynet wrote:I'd say if it's for backups, you won't get an answer here. Whether it's one you made yourself, or got off a friend or downloaded from the internet, DCEmulation will not help you as our rules clearly state that.
What part of that do you not understand?
Darksaviour69
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Darksaviour69 »

i mean it's totally fine to have a backup of something we own the original, right?
depend on the country, every country has it's own laws
two-rok
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by two-rok »

i'm sorry i didn't mean to upset you at all

i just wanted to keep my originals safe and use backups, if that isn't ok with dreamcast games then i guess i'll have to forget about my idea

thanks for your help

cheers
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

I wasn't upset with you. I'm just trying to clearly state we cannot help you. It's a stance DCEmulation took and they're gonna stick by it. We do not allow any talk that involves backups. You're going to have to look elsewhere for your answers as we cannot help you. We have provided alternative information, but that's about all we can do.

two-rok
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by two-rok »

thanks
Cid Highwind
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Cid Highwind »

Well if you want to keep the originals safe the best thing to do is just to make sure you put them back in the case while there isn't any dust or prints on them and not let little brothers touch the games, or any friends for that matter :)

I do the same with my DC games and not even one of them has got a single scratch more than the day I bought them. I know it all sounds pretty obvious, but strictly using only backups is just a bit paranoid in my humble opinion. Just my ?0,02
You feel at ease as you flock with the masses,
What do you see with your heads in their asses?
Keep on railing at what I believe,
Call me insane and I am proud to be.

--Edguy - King of Fools--

My blog
ian
Young Null Warrior
Young Null Warrior

Post by ian »

or stick around till you make some friends then just pm them asking how to do it
It's a livin' thing, Its a terrible thing to lose.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

intresting post by Ian.
two-rok I can't help you with your problem as I don't know anything however I can emapthize with you especially since orignal cd's are rare, expensive and probably 90% of dreamcast games left (excluding Japan) are used which are far from perfect.
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

As Cid Highwind says, if you look after your games then there's no need to make duplicates.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

There are a billion of region patchers out there. Bucanero & MegaGames host a few at their sites.

These tools itself aren't illegal but to a degree I understand that it's not exactly welcome to discuss here you probably better use google next time ;)
Insane homebrew collector.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

how about another discussion?

Dreamcast Discs will die it is inevitable, We need a solution?

They are discs at the end of the day, I've travelled to America, Canada, England amongst other countries and bought bulks of dreamcast games. Now it is crucial for 1/10 regardless of them beeing scratched or not to not work.
Cid Highwind
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Cid Highwind »

I'd say "do what your buying/gaming morals allow you to do", and I'll leave it at that before I step out of the lines the rules have said :)
You feel at ease as you flock with the masses,
What do you see with your heads in their asses?
Keep on railing at what I believe,
Call me insane and I am proud to be.

--Edguy - King of Fools--

My blog
dj898
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by dj898 »

don't think there will be a dc region patcher till we have GD-R blanks and GD-ROM burner... :p