Segagaga translation in the works

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
zman
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by zman »

Any info on this one? It's good fun, but would be a lot nicer in English.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

http://www.1up.com/do/my1Up?publicUserId=5772603
R&D Lab A
posted at 01/27/2007 05:41 AM PST

[...] SegaGaga localization continues according to schedule. (We have no schedule.)

We have just finished the translation of the in-game text for the first RPG segment, R&D Lab A. I want to focus on that, as well as describe the long companion PDF file that I want to make available with the patch. [...]

And, posted earlier that day:
I've got my fingers crossed that we can release a patch for Segagaga before summer hits, but I won't promise anything.
Insane homebrew collector.
zman
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by zman »

That is quite a thesis... I thought I was at collage lecture for a minute.

Shure looks like there will be a compitant translation for this game and not just a fan translation. He seems to want to provide a way to bring out the character of the game. This is good...
Christuserloeser

Re: Segagaga translation in the works

A month late, but here's some interesting news from James Howell's 1UP Blog:

We've almost reached a checkpoint in our work. I've smoothed the bumps from the translation for the Lab A gameplay section; I've got English subtitles on the movies that play through the first part; and the incidental text (such as the descriptions and names of items) has been done for a while. As soon as we plug the English text into the game and give it a whirl, we'll be ready to release a demo patch that will make everything up through the end of Lab A playable.
Sultan of Saturn
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by Sultan of Saturn »

I was in Japan this past month, and I could not find a single copy of Segagaga....very disappointing. I was in Den Den Town in Osaka and Akihabara in Tokyo....I picked up lots of goodies, but this game was elusive. Still hoping to get lucky on Ebay to pick this up to play it once the patch comes out!
Formerly Known As "Chalavet".....
GyroVorbis
Elysian Shadows Developer
Elysian Shadows Developer

Post by GyroVorbis »

I would love it if somebody tried doing this to Rent a Hero. I got the game as an extra from some Samba De Amigo v2K auction on Ebay, but it looks sooo fun.

I've played a bit with a translation walkthrough, but the extra effort is just not worth it. The game reminds me quite a bit of Shenmue, and I think it's deserving of a fan translation.
Grimlock
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Grimlock »

This may be a bit taboo of a suggestion, but Rent a Hero is in English on XBox (Europe only).

Hail Picard!
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Grimlock wrote:This may be a bit taboo of a suggestion, but Rent a Hero is in English on XBox (Europe only).
:o I never knew an English version existed. I knew they were making one, but I just assumed it was canceled.
Christuserloeser

Wikipedia wrote:The game was enhanced and given online capabilities by Coolnet Entertainment and AIA Games for the Xbox in 2003, and also translated into English for a North American release in what would have been the first Rent-A-Hero overseas release. However, the English version of the game was never released due to distribution problems, and the Xbox version remained only in Japan as it had previously happened with the original Dreamcast version.
Grimlock
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Grimlock »

Oh, nevermind then. Sorry for the false hope. I could swear I saw I the European version on EBay before.

Hail Picard!
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

I did a search online only to come across the same article. What is even more bizarre, though, is that Gamepro actually did a review of the game. So the game must exist in a completed form somewhere, but we will never get our hands on it unfortunately.
Christuserloeser

Perhaps an email to Coolnet Entertainment or AIA Games would allow at least a script of the translation to be released to the community ?
Sultan of Saturn
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by Sultan of Saturn »

My friends who have a gaming website that has been pretty much abandoned - long story - and I were actually thinking about making the drive from Iowa City to IL to go check out AIA for an interview and follow up on Rent A Hero, but that all fell apart when we found out that the company was closed for business. I read an article online somewhere, and it said that AIA's American branch got closed and that the game and all related properties got diverted back to the Japanese branch. As such, I wouldn't anticipate anything coming from them. The only hope would be if they were to sell the rights back to Sega along with the localized version and then Sega releases it on XBLA. Chances are...fat chance...
Formerly Known As "Chalavet".....
Christuserloeser

Here's news from the Segagaga Translation project, a status update:

Touching base --
This'll be a quick (and overdue) blog.

Segagaga localization is still underway. I think we've got the material together for a demo patch that would make up to the end of the first RPG segment playable. I'm still waiting to hear back on our progress with the programming end of things, though, so I can't promise when that will be available.

(Notice that I didn't write "if that will be available." All signs still point to forward progress.)

The actual translation work will be slowed, however, due to other priorities that demand a whole lot of time. [...]

I hope to have more concrete word about the status of the programming end of things soon, and I'll let everyone know what's up when I know myself.

Source: James Howell's 1UP Blog
Grimlock
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Grimlock »

Cool cool, I'm still looking forward to this.

Hail Picard!
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

Not going to list any links but a release was just done of a english repack of Space channel 5 pt 2. Though there were two of these projects in the works. This one only has the english voices with JP text. But there is another one currently being worked on by a group where they are repacking it wiht english text also. This can hold u guys over. This also is a bit of a taboo topic, but so is the current topic in general. I wont list places to download it, but im sure you can find it. Nice to have this, but I cant wait for the full repack.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
Grimlock
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Grimlock »

I could be wrong about this, but I would assume the English version of Space Channel 5 Part 2 was actually done by ripping video and audio from the PS2 version. Hence why the text is still Japanese. All though, that'd just be my guess since I've never actually seen it.

Hail Picard!
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Grimlock wrote:I could be wrong about this, but I would assume the English version of Space Channel 5 Part 2 was actually done by ripping video and audio from the PS2 version. Hence why the text is still Japanese. All though, that'd just be my guess since I've never actually seen it.
you are correct.
It's thinking...
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

Any updates on Segagaga at all?
Christuserloeser

James Howell is looking for a programmer / hex editor: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=96256
James Howell wrote:I know that a lot of people are anxious to know the status of our translation patch for Segagaga, and I apologize for the information vacuum. As I had noted in an earlier blog, I'm enrolled in a rigorous graduate program which has taken most of my time. Now, however, I've got some time to devote to the project, and a public statement on our progress is a great place to start.

The good news: we have enough text translated to make the first RPG dungeon segment of Segagaga playable in English.

The bad news: we need a new programmer. (I choose to leave the specific circumstances of our problem unexplained in the interest of everyone's privacy.)

Here are the qualities required for the work, with brief explanations of each:

1. An original copy of Segagaga. Since we respect Sega's copyright on Segagaga, we will not distribute illegal images of Segagaga under any circumstances.

2. Hardware necessary to extract the Segagaga data from a self-made backup of an original copy. We work as much as possible from scratch, again to reinforce our respect for Sega's copyright. Working in this manner helps to prevent the illegal distribution of software.

3. Hex editing skills. The Japanese text resides in the software's hex code, and we will need to replace the J-text with English text within the code directly.

4. Programming skills that will enable the construction of a patch that can be applied to a backup copy of Segagaga. I don't have any experience in this regard whatsoever, but it's necessary for our work to see practical results.

5. Good communication skills. When we're working on this project, I will need clear and honest communication regarding the status of the work.

6. Devotion to good work. We have worked hard to translate the text elegantly and correctly, and we expect a programmer to respect our efforts by likewise doing good work.

Link: http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=855 ... Id=5772603