Problem with PC-->DC connection

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
Gameovertime222
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Problem with PC-->DC connection

Post by Gameovertime222 »

I have window 98 installed and I'm using this to set it up. I entered all the values and I know I have a voice modem in my PC. What I'm doing though is I've got a modem on this PC that is supposed to connect to the Dreamcast, and then I've got a wireless card that picks up signals from my router in another room in order to get internet access. I've tried to connect a million times and each time I get the failed connection modem noise. Please help, you can check my other topic (now on the second page) in order to see my EXACT settings (I posted them on the second page). Why am I not getting a connection?
Gameovertime222
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

bump, please, any help would be appreciated.
ryan_n_waggoner
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by ryan_n_waggoner »

What browser are you using? Are you using a PCI modem, or a USB? If PCI, have you built the voltage inducer?

And for future reference, next time you ask a question, and want to refer someone to another topic, links are helpful. Don't make people work to help you.
Gameovertime222
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

I'm using PCI, I didn't know I needed the voltage inducer. Damn, there goes my hopes of getting this up :( I can't build anything for my life so I guess I"m screwed. Sorry about not linking the topic and thanks for the reply.
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

You don't nessicarily need to build anything. I managed to connect without needing to. There's a guide at OnlineConsoles that is slightly different than the one at Consolevision. This one I think changes one thing, and that is removing "<cr>" from one of the registry keys. I can't remember, but I think I tried that guide before, but it wouldn't connect for me. The one at Consolevision, I didn't had any problems with.
Gameovertime222
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Why does it say building a voltage inducer on step 10? If I add the <cr>, is there a chance I won't have to build this voltage inducer.
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

If you read the third paragraph in STEP 1, it tells you why a voltage inducer is required.
Internal PCI modems - These modems are often software based modems. Meaning they require software to do some of the legwork. Because of this, there is not enough voltage available to move the data along the telephone cord to the Dreamcast. If you are using an Internal modem you will most likely have to build a Line Voltage Inducer.
I'm not a networking expert so I can't tell you whose modem or what modem would require a voltage inducer. I recommend trying the tutorial first, trying in every way possible.

The registry setting, as far as I know, has absolutly nothing to do with whether a voltage inducer is required or not. All that's doing is hacking the registry to tell the modem to do this or that when the Dreamcast wants to connect.

Again, I don't know for sure, but I'd have to take a look at both tutorials side by side and see what registry settings are different. After looking at the OnlineConsoles tutorial, I think I remember the one at Consolevision needed a little more hacking (different keys). Anyway, I would recommend trying out both tutorials.

You also may wanna check to make sure your modem supports voice mode just in case.
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

Set up as in how?