VGA bootdisc or something?

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
GyroVorbis
Elysian Shadows Developer
Elysian Shadows Developer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

VGA bootdisc or something?

Post by GyroVorbis »

It seems like I heard someplace at some point in time that I forgot that there was some sort of bootdisc that let you play non VGA games on a VGA monitor.

Does anybody know where I can find this?
junker2020
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by junker2020 »

I would love to play Bangai-O but from what I know it is NOT possible! I use teh Gamshark Lite for my importing on my Monitor. Let me know if any breakthroughs!
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

I'd be interested in this to.
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

I'll cut and paste the post I made about this at the Dreamcast section of Jaguar Sector II:

The only boot disc I can think of that has the function to enable VGA games in games which don't support it natively is DC-X, but it's possible that another disc might have that function as well.
doragasu
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by doragasu »

I have DC-X and as stated by MetaFox it allows you to FORCE the games to start in VGA mode. But there are some games that don't work when forced to VGA. Bangai-O is one of them. Others include KOF 99 DMNE and KOF99 Evolution.
Hilltopper
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Hilltopper »

you can always try the switch method. That is what I used to do. I don't remember exactlly how it was done, but the basic Idea is you switch the box to tv mode, put in your non vga game, then power on, After you hear the beep, hot switch it to VGA mode. I have tried this with success on games lke soul caliber. hope this helps.

*use at yourn own risk, I will not be held accountable if you break your DC or VGA box, please use the search function for more information.
Darkfalz
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Darkfalz »

If you use the normal Utopia boot disc which has been patched (simply enabled the VGA bit) then it works, but you boot "blind" (ie. while Utopia is running, you'll get no display on your screen, but once the game is loaded, it switches to VGA).
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

Darkfalz wrote:If you use the normal Utopia boot disc which has been patched (simply enabled the VGA bit) then it works, but you boot "blind" (ie. while Utopia is running, you'll get no display on your screen, but once the game is loaded, it switches to VGA).
Yeah, It's prolly not a good idea to boot this thing with your monitor plugged in, The screen with the reindeer on is NOT vga compatible. so leave your monitor unplugged while it boots and you swop discs over. DOA2 wont work by the way.

Additional....Soul Calibur is VGA compatible anyway is it not? well the PAL version is.
Sonic-NKT
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Sonic-NKT »

DOA2 is VGA compatible too, atleast the JAP version...
hmm i want to play some games in vga now too (like Skies of Arcadia or Rayman 2) hmm perhaps i can get this CD-X disc at ebay or so...
dj898
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by dj898 »

junker2020 wrote:I would love to play Bangai-O but from what I know it is NOT possible! I use teh Gamshark Lite for my importing on my Monitor. Let me know if any breakthroughs!
have you use the composite connection to your TV?
Bangai-O doesn't support VGA nor RGB...
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

Sonic-NKT wrote:DOA2 is VGA compatible too, atleast the Japanese version...
hmm i want to play some games in vga now too (like Skies of Arcadia or Rayman 2) hmm perhaps i can get this CD-X disc at ebay or so...
Play asia have some in.
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

Matisfaction wrote:
Sonic-NKT wrote:DOA2 is VGA compatible too, atleast the Japanese version...
Play asia have some in.
As does Lik-sang.
showka
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by showka »

[quote="Matisfaction"][quote="Darkfalz"]If you use the normal Utopia boot disc which has been patched (simply enabled the VGA bit) then it works, but you boot "blind" (ie. while Utopia is running, you'll get no display on your screen, but once the game is loaded, it switches to VGA).[/quote]
Yeah, It's prolly not a good idea to boot this thing with your monitor plugged in, The screen with the reindeer on is NOT vga compatible. so leave your monitor unplugged while it boots and you swop discs over. DOA2 wont work by the way.

Additional....Soul Calibur is VGA compatible anyway is it not? well the PAL version is.[/quote]

[b]Has anyone tried this with Ikaruga?[/b] I've used the patch Utopia boot CD (it issues no warning about how the monitor won't work, so I know the patch must have taken effect) but when the game starts, there's still no output. If I look into the TV output, the game is running on the damn TV everytime.

Also... about this hot swap, how bad could it hurt the VGA Box? The monitor thus far seems immune to harm.

If the only recourse is to buy the CD-X, I may do that as well, though I will curse bemoan the loss of the ten dollars.
Sweater Fish
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Sweater Fish »

Just use the Pro Action Replay demo. It's a far better bootdisc than Utopia. It boots games into VGA more reliably and has better compatibility just generally. I know there's some question about its legality, but it's hosted at plenty of respectable places and is probably more legitimate than Utopia anyway.

Everyone should stop using Utopia and all DC homebrew sites should stop hosting it, it's more trouble than it's worth. For homebrew stuff, DC Hakker is better. For imports, the Pro Action Replay demo is better. (DC Hakker can boot imports, too, but it's a slightly more complicated process than you want to have to go through every time you boot a game.)

...word is bondage...
showka
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by showka »

"Pro Action Replay demo"? Thanks, I'll definetly look this up when I get home.
showka
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by showka »

Found it on a French website and was able to understand the alta vista translation on how to run it.

It actually worked! If it is indeed legal, I don't understand why it isn't all over the place.

Thanks for the advice! Ikaruga looks great! Now to just make sure I'm not hurting this monitor.