DC Games: Significant differences between regions?

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
tmcw
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

DC Games: Significant differences between regions?

Post by tmcw »

I was wondering what DC games have major differences between different regions for the same game. Things that make it noteworthy, for example, something that adds to the game, such as extra levels, better graphics, or extra modes of play, new areas, etc.

An example of what I'm thinking about is the fact that the Detonator Pack for Dynamite Cop works only with the NTSC versions, not the PAL, so, if you were from Europe, liked Dynamite Cop, then it might be worth your while getting your hands on a US/JAP version of the game to be able to check out the Detonator Pack.

Something else might be Sega GT/Sega GT Homologation Special. I say might, because the JAP homologation special has an extra booklet, but is there any difference in playing the game, besides the obvious language difference in the menus, etc?

I'm not looking for differences in the language, frame-rate or cover art-work, but more significant differences like what I've pointed to above. Also, I'm not thinking about special editions either, like the headphone set for Space Channel 5 part 2, or the kicking hologram cover with the US version of Space Channel 5 (although it is nice). Thinking more about the content on the GD-ROM.
Darksaviour69
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Darksaviour69 »

i think there are different cars in the Sega GT japan version and pal version... not sure
Damon Plus
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by Damon Plus »

The European version of Grandia 2 doesn?t have the soundtrack.

The first version of Jet Set Radio in Japan doesn?t have Bantam Street and Grind City, aside from some songs.

The japanese version of Sega Rally had online play
Darksaviour69
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Darksaviour69 »

well Unreal Tournament, Daytona USA, and spawn: in the devils hand all did not have online play for the pal versions (spawn japan version had online play)
tmcw
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by tmcw »

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, checked out Sega GT, and the PAL version has Japanese and European cars, whereas the Japanese HomoSpec seems to be entirely Jap cars. Interesting about JSR, thanks for that too.

I thought there would have been more significant differences, especially given the lengthy times between releases. Obviously not as interesting as I thought.
Bertrude
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Bertrude »

I've read somewhere that they changed the car handling in Sega GT compared to the Japanese version. I'm assuming they improved it? I've not played any version of the game so I don't know for sure.
Cid Highwind
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Cid Highwind »

Damon Plus wrote:The European version of Grandia 2 doesn?t have the soundtrack.

The first version of Jet Set Radio in Japan doesn?t have Bantam Street and Grind City, aside from some songs.

The japanese version of Sega Rally had online play
About JSR: Probably that song from the Matrix, which came with the American cities.

About Grandia 2: Only the limited edition came with the Melodia disc and artwork booklet. It's a nice and cheap collectors version, but I am still looking for the Povo and the Deus soundtracks, which are the original soundtracks.

Overall you could say that the japanese got all the limited editions we have to import :(
You feel at ease as you flock with the masses,
What do you see with your heads in their asses?
Keep on railing at what I believe,
Call me insane and I am proud to be.

--Edguy - King of Fools--

My blog
tekkaman1
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by tekkaman1 »

My Grandia 2 came with the sound track. Is it limited edition then?
BaldMonk
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by BaldMonk »

Dead or Alive 2: Limited Edition (Japan Only) has 2 extra unlockable character in Vs mode (Tengu and Bayman from DOA1) Heaps of extra costumes compared to the US and PAL versions and 2 new stages... I think that's it.... Hmmm, oh yeah. An image gallery)
yogiandbooboo
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by yogiandbooboo »

I know there is a difference between the JPN version of maken X and USA version. The JPN version on some of the levels have nazi enemies. They are in the USA version but the marking are changed.

There should be an FAQ or this should be a sticky. So that way we could have a complete listing.
Cid Highwind
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Cid Highwind »

tekkaman1 wrote:My Grandia 2 came with the sound track. Is it limited edition then?
Why don't you check this link to see what version you have :)

AFAIK the Japanese LE came with the Melodia soundtrack, of which some songs are really weird, to say the least :P And the Deus and Povo soundtracks were sold seperately, as you can see on the Play Asia page where they ask you if you are interested in that cd as well.

I have both the PAL and J LE version of the game, and the easiest thing to recognize your version is simply to check the music cd, and the artwork booklet.

My blog
tekkaman1
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by tekkaman1 »

Cid Highwind wrote:
tekkaman1 wrote:My Grandia 2 came with the sound track. Is it limited edition then?
Why don't you check this link to see what version you have :)

AFAIK the Japanese LE came with the Melodia soundtrack, of which some songs are really weird, to say the least :P And the Deus and Povo soundtracks were sold seperately, as you can see on the Play Asia page where they ask you if you are interested in that cd as well.

I have both the PAL and J LE version of the game, and the easiest thing to recognize your version is simply to check the music cd, and the artwork booklet.
Mine's the US version but it came with the sountrack. It has the song cancao do povo or something like that and many others.
Cid Highwind
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Cid Highwind »

Here's the tracklist for the Melodia soundtrack I have:
1. Can??o do povo - Little Shelter MIX
2. A Deus - MIX
3. Digital Museum RadioDrama Opening
4. a japanese title
5. some japanese followed by PAD
6. Japanese
7. Japanese
Also my disc itself says Melodia.

If you've got the other soundtracks, congrats :D I'm still looking for them. Too bad the PAL version doesn't come with anything nice at all, not even a coloured booklet :(

My blog
tekkaman1
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by tekkaman1 »

Cid Highwind wrote:Here's the tracklist for the Melodia soundtrack I have:
1. Can??o do povo - Little Shelter MIX
2. A Deus - MIX
3. Digital Museum RadioDrama Opening
4. a japanese title
5. some japanese followed by PAD
6. Japanese
7. Japanese
Also my disc itself says Melodia.

If you've got the other soundtracks, congrats :D I'm still looking for them. Too bad the PAL version doesn't come with anything nice at all, not even a coloured booklet :(
*looks for the cd* ^^

It says:
Music Selections
By Noriyuki Iwadare

1 Cancao do Povo (little shelter mix)
2 Carbo
3 A deus
4 Dangerous Zone
5 Agear
6 Fight!!! Ver. 1
7 Liligue
8 Mirumu
9 Saint Heim
10 Fight Ver. 2
11 A deus (sunking mix)
12 Cancao do povo
What is your fav track? I can send it in email. I'll send you only one for now because I'm using dial up he he so it takes a while for me.
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

Tentacle rape.