Best racing wheel for F355? (or best wheel in general)

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
galbaldy
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Best racing wheel for F355? (or best wheel in general)

Post by galbaldy »

I'm looking for one with good pedals and a stick shift. I've heard that many wheels are low quality, so i'm trying to skip over the crap.

Thanks.
Cid Highwind
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Cid Highwind »

It doesn't have a stick shift but uses triggers... But I'm using the Trustmaster Ferrari wheel and it's great, just make sure you've got a good table to attach the wheel to and you're set :)
You feel at ease as you flock with the masses,
What do you see with your heads in their asses?
Keep on railing at what I believe,
Call me insane and I am proud to be.

--Edguy - King of Fools--

My blog
Nick
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by Nick »

Just get the Mad Catz wheel. It blows the others away.
Very sexy hero, omg
kingbuzzo
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by kingbuzzo »

Interact C4 all the way
galbaldy
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by galbaldy »

So you guys are recommending 3 different wheels. But what's the best one?
royhubbs
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by royhubbs »

well it seems everyone has their own opinion, But Id have to say The Interact C4 as well...
kingbuzzo
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by kingbuzzo »

royhubbs wrote:well it seems everyone has their own opinion, But Id have to say The Interact C4 as well...
he loved it so much he sold it to me!

by the way I'm selling it too. It's awesome, but I don't have room for it anymore.
royhubbs
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by royhubbs »

NO! I had 2 of them and sold u one ....so ya
galbaldy
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by galbaldy »

How much are you selling it for? Maybe I'll buy it.
kingbuzzo
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by kingbuzzo »

http://forums.dcpawnshop.com/viewtopic.php?t=329

there she is.

Arcade Stick is on hold
DeeMON
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by DeeMON »

guys...stupid question...how do you use it? where do i place the racing wheel??? on my lap??? on a table??? its hard to use it cause of the pedals...? :(
Sweater Fish
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Sweater Fish »

The best way to use the Interact wheel is to but the base under your legs and have the...uh...shaft coming up between your..erm...thighs. I think Interact had a much less suggestive way of describing it in their manual, but you get the idea. It's actually a great way to hold a racing wheel, it's just too bad that I disliked the wheel itself so much because that setup is great.

The MadCatz wheel is the only one with a stick and pedals, but it feels like a cheep plastic toy, so I can't recommend it either.

The Thrustmaster wheel is by far the best of the three I've tried (the only Dreamcast wheel I haven't tried is the Agetec one). It's pure quality. NO stick shift, but it was the behind the wheel shifters which is what actual race cars use anyway, I guess. Plus it has the Ferrari emblem on it, so there should be no other choice for F355 Challenge.

This is like the fifth time I've posted my opinions about Dreamcast wheels on this forum.

...word is bondage...
jemsic
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by jemsic »

The Thrustmaster wheel is by far the best of the three I've tried
That's good, because I was having the same problem deciding and I bought one of these on a whim.
Vchat20
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Vchat20 »

wish there was an easy way to convert a pc wheel (prefferably gameport) to work on the dreamcast. i own an older MS force feedback wheel and i have absolutely fallen in love with it. despite its somewhat buggy software support in XP (due to its age. the oem software doesnt work on xp. have to use the built in sidewinder autodetect drivers.), its been great imho. and the force feedback cant be beat. the main game i play with it is Midtown Madness 2 and when im flying down the steep hills of San Fran in a city bus, this thing can really throw ya if you arent careful.
jemsic
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by jemsic »

I just received my thrustmaster ferrari wheel today. I gotta say I'm kinda disappointed. I've never had a steering wheel for anything else, so I can't compare it with anything other than my camaro, but the plastic creaks in my hands (and so does the pedals). I'm hoping with lots of use the creaking will stop. Other than that though, it's pretty nice. The wheel is smaller than a real steering wheel though. Since you pretty much gotta drill a hole in your desk to attach it, I've decided to fill the extra large hollow base with some bags of buckshot to weigh it down. The wheel itself is a really cool shape though, much like a real car. Daytona USA is awesome with this wheel. With the standard controller it controlled really touchy, but the wheel makes it MUCH more like the arcade.
Billkwando
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Billkwando »

Concept 4 is teh r0x0rz!!!!1111

Seriously though, it is. I modded mine and added a shifter, from an old joystick:

Here's a closeup of the extra headphone jack I added for the shifter:

What I did was run wires from the left set of thumb buttons to the jack I added, then used a double ended headset-type extension cord, and put a jack for the other end in the project box.

Now I'm shifty like a mofo!

Notice I have the clamps turned upside down? This is to prevent potential injury when climbing into the Playseat, since they look like they could administer a nasty scratch if you were to try and slide your legs under them with the bolts facing down.

I know this is an old topic, but I've never had a chance to show off my mod, so there. ;)

(Man I loves me some Joe Satriani....glad I'm not the only one...)

Daaaaaaayyytooooonaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!
kingbuzzo
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by kingbuzzo »

that is one crazy ass mod. What do you have it hooked up to? Some kind of excercise equipment?

two other questions,

1. do you know voltage of AC adapter works for the C4 wheel? Seems everyone who buys this wheel has to go without the intense rumble because of not having the AC adatper.

2. Would it kill to use swiffer once in a while? :p
royhubbs
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by royhubbs »

LOL! swiffer... Anyways buzzo.. I have a 13.5 volt 1000ma ac adapter and it works perfectly... I picked it up at Radio shack.. so Im assuming its probably 14 volts...
kingbuzzo
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by kingbuzzo »

13.5 volts you say? that's a lot of rumble!

now I gotta go pick one of those babies up
DeeMON
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by DeeMON »

The best way to use the Interact wheel is to but the base under your legs and have the...uh...shaft coming up between your..erm...thighs. I think Interact had a much less suggestive way of describing it in their manual, but you get the idea. It's actually a great way to hold a racing wheel
i tried that...but im 6'4...its freakin hard! i have to bend down like a goon and hold the wheel :oops: