when my dreamcast loads it makes loud noises. is it....

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
Raztat
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

when my dreamcast loads it makes loud noises. is it....

Post by Raztat »

when my dreamcast loads it makes loud noises. is it suppose to do this? it only makes the noises when it is loading. its not to loud but i just want to make sure its ok.
Systems I Own: Ps2, Gamecube, Xbox, Dreamcast, Nes, Snes, Genesis, 3do, DS, and a Gaming PC.

Playing: Chrono Cross and Counter Strike
HomerCIDAL
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by HomerCIDAL »

For some reason, the proprietary GD drive is louder than your average CD drive. I'm sure it's normal, but if you start getting radial scratches on your disc, if the disc does not spin freely after powering off and opening the hatch or if it sounds like something is grinding even when not loading data, then there is probably something wrong with it.
Raztat
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Raztat »

ok thanks, its not grinding or anything like that. Im glad to hear its normal.
Systems I Own: Ps2, Gamecube, Xbox, Dreamcast, Nes, Snes, Genesis, 3do, DS, and a Gaming PC.

HomerCIDAL
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by HomerCIDAL »

Is this your first time owning a Dreamcast? If so, what made you get into the system so late?
Raztat
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Raztat »

no, i had a dc at the end of its lifespan and then sold it about a year later. but i miss it so much so i bought another one.

Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

In my case, I have had about four dcs now: one that I bought when they first debuted which I stupidly sold to get a ps2; one bought from eb games two years ago that I had to return cause of a f'ed up laser; the replacement for that one which ended up craping out shortly thereafter; and my current one that I bought from ebay that despite having some problems, is holding up rather well.....

For me, I'm not sure why I had the sudden urge to buy another dc; I guess it was cause I have been a Nintendo fan boy for so long and have missed out on some great sega consoles and games. For example, I knew nothing sega's humble beginnings with the sega master system til it was dead and on clearance at game stores.
HomerCIDAL
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by HomerCIDAL »

Funny you mention the Master System...I never saw it first and for 3 years thought the Genesis was the first Sega system (discovered the truth in 92)
Sweater Fish
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Sweater Fish »

Actually, you discovered the truth in 2005: Sega's first console was the SG-1000.

...word is bondage...
Kako
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by Kako »

I believe I read somewhewre on these forums that a user oiled up the part of lens that rolls up and down and it eliminated the noise almost completely. I'm not saying for you to do it, but look into it first and if you find it, post it here. Thanks.