VGA ADAPTER question!!?

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
royhubbs
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

VGA ADAPTER question!!?

Post by royhubbs » Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:26 am

just wondering if anyone knows if this vga adapter pictured is any good? i was thinking about buying it w/ the dc and all thats stuff. but was mostly concerned about the vga...

HomerCIDAL
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by HomerCIDAL » Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:32 am

VGA is great, but not all games run on it. The majority do, but some won't. There is another thread here in the forum that addresses the games that don't run with the VGA (since it is the shorter list) and even mentions the fact that the 2D fighters may not look as good because you can see the jagged edges too easily. For 3D games though...you'll be pleasantly surprised and wonder how the DC went out the way it did!
royhubbs
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by royhubbs » Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:59 am

yes, ive been keepin up with those posts thanks, But i guess my question is... I dunno what brand of vga adapter that is, I was wondering If they are all the same? or are certain ones better than the others? and I was seeing if anyone has used one of them and had an opinion on that particular vga box...
HomerCIDAL
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by HomerCIDAL » Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:32 am

For obvious reasons, the first party hardware is usually considered the best, but I had one at one time that was orange and transparent with connections on the sides. It worked beautifully and I couldn't tell any difference in quality. As long as it uses the actual Dreamcast plug-in for the back of the system and not the composite A/V cables to connect it, you should be fine. The problem with the ones that use composite is you get a 640x480 resolution but it's really no better than a regular television. It only doubles the interlacing you find in a standard television instead of giving you the progressive scan that the true VGA connector will. Check the links below for a better idea of what to get.

This one is fine because it plugs right into the back of your Dreamcast.

This one is not because it uses composite cables for the connection to the Dreamcast.
doragasu
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by doragasu » Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:44 am

I use a BLAZE VGA box that has VGA, COMPOSITE and S-VHS outputs (selectable with a switch) and also two jack outputs for sound. I'm pretty happy with it, as it can give you the highest quality you can get with a monitor (using VGA output) and the highest quality you can get with a TV (using S-VHS output), and having the switch is also nice to trick the games that work with VGA but refuse to boot in VGA mode.
royhubbs
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by royhubbs » Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:42 am

alright. thanks guys
Sweater Fish
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Sweater Fish » Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:09 pm

That's the Madness Gameware VGA box, it's actually exactly the same as the Blaze VGA box which a lot of people recommend, just in a different colored case for the U.S. market.

From my experience, there's really no difference between most VGA boxes you see. First, there's Sega's own box, which is functioanlyy the same as all the others, but is probably made form higher quality components, but that doesn't make it worth the prices it usually sells for, in my opinion). Then there's the Performance VGA box whihc is again fucntionally the same as all the rest, except that it has a VGA passthrough plug, so that you can pass your computer's monitor cable through when your Dreamcast is turned off and save having to swap cables all the time (that difference is again not worth the extra cost in my opinion). Then there's "all the rest" of the VGA boxes, this includes ones from Naki, Nyko, Treamcast, Hori, Blaze, Madness Gameware and dozen other thrid parties, they're all more or less the same, they offer VGA out as well as composite and s-video out and mini-phono jacks for PC speakers or headphones and have a TV-VGA switch, many of them are bound to be made form cheaper components than the Sega box (or even the Performance one whihc seems pretty solid), but they're dirt cheap, so you could buy five or six of the things before you spent as much money as you would on just one Sega VGA box. Lastly, there's also what's called a "VGA cable" which only offer VGA out and a mini-phono jack for audio, no standard RCA jacks for interlaced images and no switch for TV mode, so they're much smaller than the other boxes.

Then, there's also the upscan converters that HomerCIDAL mentioned, they take a standard interlaced TV image like composite or s-video and convert it to a VGA image which produces all kinds of artifacts. Don't use them for the Dreamcast.

...word is bondage...
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction » Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:22 pm

If you haven't bought one yet, I'd strongly recommend one of these.
royhubbs
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by royhubbs » Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:29 pm

Well, I just bought that stuff pictured above, off ebay for 21.50 so now i have a spare dc
and a VGA box, just hope it works good..