Comprehensive list of games supporting VGA adapter

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
HomerCIDAL
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Comprehensive list of games supporting VGA adapter

Post by HomerCIDAL » Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:38 pm

Is there a list somewhere that shows all of the VGA supported games for the Dreamcast? Also, does anyone have any side-by-side comparison for television vs. VGA monitor for the same game? I'd like to see some of these to hold me over until I get my VGA adapter :)
royhubbs
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by royhubbs » Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:41 pm

yea good idea homer, I used to have a VGA adapter back in the day.. and only game i played with it was NBA 2k1 which looked quite slick
Sweater Fish
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Sweater Fish » Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:50 pm

I list of all the games that support the VGA box would be very long. It'd be more productive to just list all the games that *DON'T* support VGA. And it just so happen that I recently posted such a list at the DCHelp forums.

http://dcevolution.net/cgi-bin/yabb/YaB ... 1116619508

Note that that list only includes games that can't even be tricked into working in VGA. Many games that dopn't immediately work in VGA can be tricked by booting up with the VGA box switched to TV mode and then switching back to VGA at the right moment (there's a small internal beep from the Dreamcast--the DC, not the VMU--after it loads the IP.BIN bootstrap, that's the right moment to switch back). The games on the list posted above will not work with this trick, or if they do "work" they have corrupted graphics that make them essentially unplayable.

If anyone has any games to add or remove and they're sure of them, please post them here or in the thread at DCHelp. I'd like the list to be as complete as possible and I don't believe that it currently is, though it's pretty close.

...word is bondage...
LyingWake
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by LyingWake » Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:05 pm

Would you be able to use the Utopia Boot CD to load the games into VGA mode if they don't support it? I know there's an patch to support VGA mode for the boot disc.
Raijin Z
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Raijin Z » Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:47 pm

Vigilante 8 absolutely does not work in VGA mode. I have a switchable box, it's the only game I have that can't be switched to VGA after booting in composite.
crc73
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by crc73 » Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:52 am

Raijin Z wrote:Vigilante 8 absolutely does not work in VGA mode. I have a switchable box, it's the only game I have that can't be switched to VGA after booting in composite.
I think the PAL version does - I'm almost certain I've had it running in my monitor. Will check it tonight.
Sweater Fish
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Sweater Fish » Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:55 am

LyingWake wrote:Would you be able to use the Utopia Boot CD to load the games into VGA mode if they don't support it? I know there's an patch to support VGA mode for the boot disc.
Any game that can be tricked into displaying in VGA with the switch trick I described can also be tricked with the Utopia disc or any other boot disc, but not the games I listed. Those ones just don't work in VGA.

The only way to get the games form that list to display on a computer monitor is if you have an old NEC Multisync from the early '90s or other monitor that syncs down to 15KHz. Then you'd be seeing an RGB signal on the screen rather than a real VGA one, but I think it'd work and all the games that don't support VGA do support RGB, so you'd have total compatibility.

You could also use an upscan converter like the XRGBs, that's what I used to do.

...word is bondage...
Raijin Z
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Raijin Z » Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:32 am

I have an NEC Multisync M700 as my primary (and currently only) display, Manufacture date is November 1997.
HomerCIDAL
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by HomerCIDAL » Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:13 pm

WOW! Thanks for the links and all of the information.

BTW, my personal favorite after seeing it on the VGA adapter is Soul Calibur. As if the game needed any graphical enhancements to begin with...
Gameholic
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Gameholic » Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:05 am

So is there a big difference between using a VGA box or just your TV? I'm planning to get one but i don't know if it's worth the cash.
HomerCIDAL
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by HomerCIDAL » Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:13 am

Are you kidding!!!??? There is no comparison. The first time I saw NFL2K on the VGA monitor, my jaw almost hit the floor. Soul Calibur looked even better and you could see things you never noticed before like the staffs bending when being swung at an opponent. Even in Sonic Adventure, you can see the caustic effect (refraction of images under water) in Chaos when you are fighting him. Televisions just can't show that amount of detail and in progressive mode, the framerate looks even better, even in 30 frames per second. The VGA adapters are worth every penny and then some.
Bertrude
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Bertrude » Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:43 am

I second, third and forth that!

I've just my DC sorted with a 17" monitor and VGA Box and the difference is amazing in some games. As stated, Soul Calibur looks amazing as does Ikaruga and Quake 3. Everything is so much crisper.

Games that don't work of mine are (all PAL):

Capcom Vs Snk 1
Bangia-O
Snow Surfers
Soul Fighter

It's a real shame about the first 2 as I don't really intend on moving my console around just to play them.

Other games I've got working using the box trick or my DC-X disc are:

Hidden & Dangerous
Hydro Thunder
Tee Off

There's another one but I can't remember it at the moment.

I'd say it's well worth the cash and VGA Boxes from Play-Asia are pretty inexpensive really.
ethan88
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by ethan88 » Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:47 am

No screenshots? :(
crc73
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by crc73 » Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:13 am

ethan88 wrote:No screenshots? :(
Believe...
doragasu
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by doragasu » Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:52 am

Bertrude wrote:Games that don't work of mine are (all PAL):

Capcom Vs Snk 1
Bangia-O
Snow Surfers
Soul Fighter
I haven't CvS 1, but I have CvS Pro and it works great with my VGA box! Are you sure it can't be tricked to work?
doragasu
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by doragasu » Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:00 am

Hum, also one thing... low res 2D fighters look WORSE with and VGA Box than with a TV. Try SF3 or SFA3 and you'll learn what the word PIXEL means. Others like MvC2, CvS1 Pro & CvS2 have high res backgrounds but low res characters so backgrounds look WAY better with a VGA box but characters look WAY worse...
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Quzar » Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:46 am

I often prefer S-video over vga box just because on a tv with svideo the aliasing is less apparent than on a vga box and monitor.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
crc73
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by crc73 » Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:48 am

crc73 wrote:
Raijin Z wrote:Vigilante 8 absolutely does not work in VGA mode. I have a switchable box, it's the only game I have that can't be switched to VGA after booting in composite.
I think the PAL version does - I'm almost certain I've had it running in my monitor. Will check it tonight.
Yep, Vigilante 8 PAL does work straight out of the box on the VGA. No boot-disk, no cable switch trick, works perfect. The literature with the game doesn't mention it being enabled, and there is no VGA icon on the back, but it does work.

It's got a great intro, but find the guy sleeping on the truckers shoulder a little weird - is there some sub-text I'm missing from the first offence?
Bertrude
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Bertrude » Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:18 am

doragasu wrote:
Bertrude wrote:Games that don't work of mine are (all PAL):

Capcom Vs Snk 1
Bangia-O
Snow Surfers
Soul Fighter
I haven't CvS 1, but I have CvS Pro and it works great with my VGA box! Are you sure it can't be tricked to work?
Nah, I can't trick it to work. I've tried the box trick and DC-X to no avail. When it starts up it gives me the 50/60Hz screen asking for me to pick one. As soon as either is selected, the monitor goes black and comes up with an "out of range" error which I think is stating that the scan rate is slower than it needs to be.

Anyone got any tips as I'd really like to get C vs SNK to work as its a great game. My version is the PAL version, it might be that the Japanese version is VGA compatible.
Raijin Z
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Raijin Z » Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:18 pm

crc73 wrote:It's got a great intro, but find the guy sleeping on the truckers shoulder a little weird - is there some sub-text I'm missing from the first offence?
That's Houston, and she's not a guy.