PAL jewel cases

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
crc73
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

PAL jewel cases

Post by crc73 »

Does anyone know if the PAL Dreamcast and Playstation jewel cases are similar?

Like, do the inserts, manual, disk, etc from the Dreamcast all fit without having to chop peices off or remove pages from the multilanguage manuals to make them fit Playstation cases?

They look like they are similar, but since I've never taken much interest in the Playstation cases the few times I've played one, I don't know.
skar
how powerful i am!

Post by skar »

if i remember right, they aren't really the same, there are some differences. been some time since i held a psone disc in my hands... anyways i really prefer the dreamcast ones... but they still suck because they break that easily...
Cid Highwind
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Cid Highwind »

No they are different. The PAL DC cases always allow you to put in 2 cd's. Too bad those things break very easily. I'm forced to put my Shenmue 1 discs in normal cd cases because all the 'teeth' in the middle are broken...

I've checked and the DC manual and discs fit perfectly in a normal PSX case. The only problem is that the front of a DC case is smaller than the PSX counterpart, so that's the only part that doesn't fit.
You feel at ease as you flock with the masses,
What do you see with your heads in their asses?
Keep on railing at what I believe,
Call me insane and I am proud to be.

--Edguy - King of Fools--

My blog
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

probably this is the reason why I prefer buying ntsc cases nice cool and plus has more pictures font/back pal however front/middle/back ntsc/u games.

SUFFER
dj898
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by dj898 »

I keep my often played PAL titles in std CD jewel case and stored PAL case away...
far easier to handle and that way there's no way the hinge will break away... :D
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

and plus has more pictures font/back pal however front/middle/back ntsc/u games.
I have no idea wtf you are saying here. :lol:
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Cid Highwind
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Cid Highwind »

The NTSC backsides of the games look better than the pal ones I think.

Even though the PAL cases are more fragile, I do like the look of all the blue cases standing next to each other.

This brings me to the question: How were the NTSC versions of Shenmue packed? The pal version comes in a blue cardboard box with two game cases.

My blog
Sweater Fish
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Sweater Fish »

See, that's what's really better about the NTSC cases, they could fit all four discs into the size of one standard PAL case, so multiple disc games don't require any slipcover or anything. (Actually, you could fit five or six discs, I have a six disc jewel case that I use for all my homebrew stuff).

Well, what's really better is that you can actually get replacements for NTSC cases if a hinge breaks, but the innefficient (and just plain bad) design of the PAL cases sure sucks.

If I ever get a nice printer, I plan to mock up some inserts and just put all my PAL games in standard jewel cases.

...word is bondage...
Cid Highwind
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Cid Highwind »

Sweater Fish wrote:See, that's what's really better about the NTSC cases, they could fit all four discs into the size of one standard PAL case, so multiple disc games don't require any slipcover or anything. (Actually, you could fit five or six discs, I have a six disc jewel case that I use for all my homebrew stuff).

Well, what's really better is that you can actually get replacements for NTSC cases if a hinge breaks, but the innefficient (and just plain bad) design of the PAL cases sure sucks.

If I ever get a nice printer, I plan to mock up some inserts and just put all my PAL games in standard jewel cases.

...word is bondage...
It's a matter of personal preference, since I like the nice cardboard slipover it comes with ;)

My blog
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

You can find Pal cases on ebay, usually sold in 5's. The last set i saw went for a tenner.

It's kinda funny how an empty pal case can cost for more than a copy of Chu Chu Rocket thats in good condition. You could get five copies of the game for cheaper than ?10 and just keep the cases.
Cid Highwind
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Cid Highwind »

Yeah, that's my idea, one dutch internet shop also sells chu chu rocket for only a few euros so I think of stocking up on chu chu rocket games, just for the cases :P

My blog
crc73
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by crc73 »

Thanks for all the replies.

I've been lucky enough over the last week or so, and have managed to pick up 10 DC cases (2 lots of 5) for under ?4 on eBay UK.

That should cover the amount of games I have shacked up in pairs at the moment, well, at least the ones that I want in seperate boxes (some like TombRaider TLR/Chronicles and Toy Commander/Racer can stay together).

Why did they change the design of the PAL boxes? Was it purely to accomodate the multi-language manuals? Some of those muthas are really thick. Ashamedly, when pairing up some of the games, I ripped out as much of the non-English pages as I could, just so that I could stuff two manuals into the back.
crc73
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by crc73 »

Cid Highwind wrote:I've checked and the DC manual and discs fit perfectly in a normal PSX case. The only problem is that the front of a DC case is smaller than the PSX counterpart, so that's the only part that doesn't fit.
Do you mean the front printed cover for the DC game is smaller than the PSX front printed cover, so if you are to put the front DC cover into a PSX case, it's very loose, and prone to coming out?

Or is it the opposite, where you would have to snip some edges off the DC front cover to make it fit a PSX case?
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Skynet wrote:
and plus has more pictures font/back pal however front/middle/back ntsc/u games.
I have no idea wtf you are saying here. :lol:
let me try to explaina bit better
Front Cover
then you know the place where the cd rests that place is transpearent and has a picture for example in RE:CV they have the us box art front and Japanese in the middle
and then the class back cover
Cid Highwind
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Cid Highwind »

crc73 wrote:
Cid Highwind wrote:I've checked and the DC manual and discs fit perfectly in a normal PSX case. The only problem is that the front of a DC case is smaller than the PSX counterpart, so that's the only part that doesn't fit.
Do you mean the front printed cover for the DC game is smaller than the PSX front printed cover, so if you are to put the front DC cover into a PSX case, it's very loose, and prone to coming out?

Or is it the opposite, where you would have to snip some edges off the DC front cover to make it fit a PSX case?
I think these will answer the question:
[img]http://members.lycos.nl/mafkeez001/Concert(49).jpg[/img]

And one on which I have put the DC on on top of the PSX cover (look at the black borders)
[img]http://members.lycos.nl/mafkeez001/Concert(50).jpg[/img]
Sorry for the crappy quality but I think I took them from too close and I didn't hold still my phone :?

My blog
CoasterKing
Gone Postal...
Gone Postal...

Post by CoasterKing »

PAL cases self destruct when they come into contact with human skin or air. Ok maybe not, but they are far too fragile for my liking. I do actually like the way they look but they break far too easily. I think they had to be so large because the multi-language manuals are so thick.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

yes I used to like the way they looked cause they were diffrence blue and stylish how ver they were so fucking fragile and 2nd you learn to love ntsc cases they have really cool middle pictures also and the manuals son't weigh more then 2 ntsc games with manuals
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

The jap packaging/artwork is always better and most of the time come with little extras which is why Japanese stuff is so popular to UK collectors. And of course they come with stuff like registration cards spine cards that collectors always insist on having.
Cid Highwind
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Cid Highwind »

I now have both the PAL and Jap (LE) edition of Grandia 2 and the japanese manual looks so much better. Since here in EU we always the games after JP and US at least they can do to compensate it is print the manual in colour.

My blog