Can I play Saturn games on my Dreamcast?

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
Zealous zerotype
zerotype
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by Zealous zerotype » Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:32 pm

Matisfaction wrote:
TheWanderer wrote: Bleem was going to be a full fledged release of "Bleempacks" that featured around 100 games. This didn't come about, for reasons I guess due to A. Sony suing them and B. the Dreamcast's death. I think it's mostly because of A. I love Bleem. When their discs boot up, it says something along the lines of "correction, we are not associated with Sega etc. in anyway" while pointing to the licensed by sega block of text that occurs upon boot-up of a game. Quality. :lol:
Yeah i think it was somthin to do with the bios? I maybe wrong but i think Rand developed his own, so it was all nice and legal. But Sony being as they are kept chucking the law suits at bleem and they couldnt afford the legal bills.

The Bleempacks would have been awesome and of course there was Smackdown 2.

But a lot of work went in to bleem and bleem was a comercial emulator, So it would be pretty Difficult for some one to take a PSone emulator on.
Well emulators do tno need abios it jsut can help and I belive it did nto use one.Also all versions are the exact same except for the little part that tell it "play *insert game* ONLY".Besides that and mabye a a few gfx things(back gorund color,ect) they are all the same)
SCO=SCUM=M$=SCO it keeps repeating :P
i'm a randite :worship:
DYTDMFBSB?
There must have been some mistake
I'm not the one who should be saved
My divinity has been denied
Mary and me were both fucked by God
Clessy
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Clessy » Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:37 pm

When you say its hard for one to take it on I know your probably not implying one as in one person but actually implying one as in a task for an indiviual. However you do know rand made bleemcast in 3 months on his on.
SE! SE! SE! Believe the hype!
Stormwatch
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Stormwatch » Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:04 pm

The Playstation is easier to emulate because it has a simpler design. It was very streamlined - one main processor, one graphics processor, one sound processor... the Saturn, on the other hand, is a truly insane beast - quoting JHokansonJr's "Saturn FAQ" at GameFAQs:

* 2 Hitachi 28.6MHz, 50-MIPS SH2 32-bit RISC processors
* Hitachi SH1 32-bit RISC processor
* VDP 1 32-bit video display processor
* VDP 2 32-bit video display processor
* Saturn Control Unit (SCU)
* Motorola 68EC000 sound processor
* Yamaha FH1 DSP sound processor

Come to think about it, Sega's project was kind of suicidal. It scared many developers, because the machine was hell to code for. Was it more powerful than the Playstation? Yes, but only a few elite developement houses (Scavenger, Treasure, AM2, SonicTeam, Andromeda, Capcom) could unleash its true power.

So, the system is hell to emulate for the same reason it is hell to code for: it is too complex for its own good.
Lines join in faint discord and the Stormwatch brews
. . a concert of Kings as the white sea snaps
. . at the heels of a soft prayer
. . whispered
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by cube_b3 » Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:40 pm

the reason why the 100 game pack never released because unlike the pc bleem this had to be perfect... and they could not find enough beta testers or time hell they couldn't even finish Final Fantasy which was I think the first game they started of with...
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction » Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:33 am

Sorrie wrote:However you do know rand made bleemcast in 3 months on his on.
Doesnt mean its gonna be piss easy for some one else to do tho.

Its a Damn shame about bleem, I was really lookin forward to Smackdown 2. and there was talk of an ISS game :o that would have been Sooooo good.
Clessy
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Clessy » Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:36 am

My point was no one as good as Rand will ever work for DC again. I am gonna be flamed for saying that but Rand is a coding god and has been doing asm coding since he was very young. Bleem was amazing but remember he was the guy that made doom on snes :D
SE! SE! SE! Believe the hype!
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction » Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:51 am

I totaly agree, Rand is a coding god, Its Nothin short of Amazing what hes done with bleem. Even tho im not in to all that "Im a Randite" stuff (nothin against Randites BTW) he does deserve the recognition.

He also wrote a couple of games for the Legendary Amiga as well as Snes Doom i think :D.

Are there any screen shots of Smackdown 2 knockin about, Did Rand complete it?

Its interesting to see how it stands up agaisnt the PSone?
Stormwatch
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Stormwatch » Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:23 am

Hey! In other places, a "randite" is a follower of Ayn Rand's philosophy. :?
Lines join in faint discord and the Stormwatch brews
. . a concert of Kings as the white sea snaps
. . at the heels of a soft prayer
. . whispered
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 » Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:21 pm

randite ...lol
Wizard Of Odd
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Wizard Of Odd » Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:31 pm

Sorrie wrote:My point was no one as good as Rand will ever work for DC again. I am gonna be flamed for saying that but Rand is a coding god and has been doing asm coding since he was very young. Bleem was amazing but remember he was the guy that made doom on snes :D
To be honest, I thought Bleem! was average at best. I wasn't that impressed at all. For Playstation emulation I think ePSXe beat Bleem! in every single respect.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar » Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:51 pm

Wizard Of Odd wrote:
Sorrie wrote:My point was no one as good as Rand will ever work for DC again. I am gonna be flamed for saying that but Rand is a coding god and has been doing asm coding since he was very young. Bleem was amazing but remember he was the guy that made doom on snes :D
To be honest, I thought Bleem! was average at best. I wasn't that impressed at all. For Playstation emulation I think ePSXe beat Bleem! in every single respect.
around these parts Bleem refers to Bleem!Cast or Bleem!DC the playstation emulator for the Dreamcast.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Midgey34
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Midgey34 » Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:28 pm

Wizard of Odd wrote: To be honest, I thought Bleem! was average at best. I wasn't that impressed at all. For Playstation emulation I think ePSXe beat Bleem! in every single respect.
Bleem! also came out in 1999 while ePSXe made its first appearance in late 2000.

Bleem! was pretty amazing for the time it came out and could run on PCs with much lower requirements than ePSXe.
Remember, the quickest way to a girl's bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you're in.
Wizard Of Odd
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Wizard Of Odd » Mon Nov 08, 2004 5:37 pm

Midgey34 wrote:
Wizard of Odd wrote: To be honest, I thought Bleem! was average at best. I wasn't that impressed at all. For Playstation emulation I think ePSXe beat Bleem! in every single respect.
Bleem! also came out in 1999 while ePSXe made its first appearance in late 2000.

Bleem! was pretty amazing for the time it came out and could run on PCs with much lower requirements than ePSXe.
True enough I guess, but at the time what was considered a super compter is now not a lot more than a calculator... I don't think anyone would have trouble running ePSXe these days.

I've never tried Bleemcast, by the way. I always meant to, but never really saw the point of getting it when I already had a PSX and the 3 games it could emulate, heh.
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction » Mon Nov 08, 2004 5:41 pm

The Bleemcast games on DC are enhanced somewhat. :wink:
mkjones
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by mkjones » Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:57 pm

Question wrote:Can I play Saturn games while sat on my Dreamcast?
Why yes :)
Dust on the Dreamcast
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 » Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:23 am

they are enhenced a lot get the bleem beta thing and play crash bandicot the game runs 100% speed, 100% music, 0% sound
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar » Wed Nov 10, 2004 1:04 pm

BILAL_XIA wrote:they are enhenced a lot get the bleem beta thing and play crash bandicot the game runs 100% speed, 100% music, 0% sound
no, bad billy bad.

i wish i were a mod so i could lay a smackdown on that post :P
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction » Wed Nov 10, 2004 1:19 pm

BILAL_XIA wrote:they are enhenced a lot get the bleem beta thing
How about getting the official Bleem packs instead?

Rand is on these forums and im sure he loves it when he sees posts like these. :roll:
TheWanderer
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by TheWanderer » Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:27 pm

Arghh...you'd think some people would know the rules around here by now!

On *legal* topics, shame bleem! never was released. If Sega hadn't pulled the plug, then that had been released, the Dreamcast's sales would've skyrocketed.

I'd love to play something like Final Fantasy or Ape Escape on DC. :)
Dreamcast: It's thinking. And it thinks you suck.
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction » Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:33 pm

MGS and GT2 are pretty awesome, I never played Tekken 3 im not really a Tekken fan, Tekken 2 was cool tho

Smackdown 2 would have been so good :D