PSO v2 (JAP) Questions

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
brmanuk
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

PSO v2 (JAP) Questions

Post by brmanuk » Wed Dec 24, 2003 7:53 am

Hi, I just bought this game the other day from ebay.co.uk and I have a few questions about it.

1) I have a PSO v1 (PAL) save, if I convert this to a PSO v2 (JAP) save, will I still be able to go back and play it on PSO v1?
2) If the answer to the above is no, is there any way I can make a copy of the PSO v1 (and then have two identical PSO v1 saves) so I can keep it on one VMU to play on PSO v1 and convert the other save to play on PSO v2?
3) Is it possible to play this game online in Europe? I've heard that the Japanese version of PSO v2 requires a monthly pass that you must buy to play online, is this true?
Thanks in advance
Aretak
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Re: PSO v2 (JAP) Questions

Post by Aretak » Wed Dec 24, 2003 10:31 am

brmanuk wrote:1) I have a PSO v1 (PAL) save, if I convert this to a PSO v2 (JAP) save, will I still be able to go back and play it on PSO v1?
No. Once a save is coverted to Version 2, it's no longer playable on the first one.
2) If the answer to the above is no, is there any way I can make a copy of the PSO v1 (and then have two identical PSO v1 saves) so I can keep it on one VMU to play on PSO v1 and convert the other save to play on PSO v2?
Only if you have a USB memory card and can make a backup of it on your PC. The saves for PSO are copy-protected on the VMU, so you can't move or duplicate them normally.
3) Is it possible to play this game online in Europe? I've heard that the Japanese version of PSO v2 requires a monthly pass that you must buy to play online, is this true?
Thanks in advance
I'm not sure if the Japanese version required a Hunter's Licence, but if it did, no, it most likely isn't playable online in Europe.

A question though... if you live in Europe, why didn't you buy the PAL version of PSOv2? It's available dirt-cheap on eBay UK, and it's free to play online. It also still works online, unlike the US version. I don't see why you'd buy a Japanese version when the PAL one is perfectly fine... :roll:
brmanuk
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Re: PSO v2 (JAP) Questions

Post by brmanuk » Wed Dec 24, 2003 11:03 am

A question though... if you live in Europe, why didn't you buy the PAL version of PSOv2? It's available dirt-cheap on eBay UK, and it's free to play online. It also still works online, unlike the US version. I don't see why you'd buy a Japanese version when the PAL one is perfectly fine... :roll:
lol yeah I know, but at the time I didn't know that you had to buy a hunters licence and the only PAL version of PSO v2 I could find on ebay was selling for ?24.99 where as the Jap one was selling for ?1.25 which I thought was a hell of a bargin.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont » Wed Dec 24, 2003 1:25 pm

You can convert Dreamcast game saves between different regions if you've got them on your PC. I don't know if you can't for PSO for any particular reason, but I would presume that you still can.

To do this, you'll either need a memory card that came with a cable to connect it to your PC, or a coder's cable, or a web browser and a working internet connection - the last is the easiest, as it allows you to simply e-mail your save game to yourself. I don't know if it will work with copy-protected saves, though.

The Japanese servers are down, so no chance of playing it online. Unless this new homebrew PSO server thing develops to the point where it's actually of some use.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
brmanuk
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by brmanuk » Wed Dec 24, 2003 5:49 pm

How would I email it to myself? I've tried using Dreamkey 3 and adding an attachment on Yahoo! Mail but when I click on 'add attachment' it takes me to a blank page. Would Psilocybin Dreams allow me to add an attachment from a VM? Cheers
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont » Wed Dec 24, 2003 5:58 pm

You have to use a proper POP3 account, rather than web-mail.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!