looong question about 2nd or 3rd best system for 2d fighters

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
aced411
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

looong question about 2nd or 3rd best system for 2d fighters

Post by aced411 »

I consider dreamcast the best (affordable) console for 2d fighters. As much as I'd like to spend thousands cash on the neo geo hardware and carts that I love, it simply isn't do-able for me. I collect 2d fighters and have most of the good ones on dreamcast like SFA3, KOF Evolution, KOF 2001, FF-MOTW, MvC2, ect...I'm just missing 3rd strike, last blade 2, and a few great imports. What I was wondering is if Sega Saturn is the best system behind dreamcast for 2d. I want a good system to play the older games like Street Fighter Alpha 2 and the Samurai Showdown series. After research I've found the saturn seems to have the best arcade conversions. Has anyone tried fighting games on saturn? I want to get one. Any opinions? Too long of loading time? The playstation had a few games where loading was horrible, like Samurai Showdown and KOF games. My main concern is loading. Am I going to be waiting 10 seconds for the freaking second round of Street Fighter to load in the middle of a heated battle? If so, I'll be disappointed with all the money I spend on a vintage console with import games. It needs to be at least a little better than ps-one. I don't really want to buy a ps2. I didn't play ps2 much when I had it for some reason. I usually prefer dreamcast for fighters and arcade, xbox for online and shooting stuff, and cube for everything else.
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by runkthepunk »

hello :) you mention the saturns loading times these would mostly be no problem if you get the 4 meg ram cart my friend also collects 2d fighters and he loves his saturn to pieces there is a nice article in the newest issue of edge retro all about the saturn (its a reprint from a previous issue) but as far as i'm aware the saturns real power laid in its 2d capabilities so that may be the system for you?
aced411
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

saturn

Post by aced411 »

Great thanks for the advice! I think I'll pick one up!
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Master Higgins »

Saturn is good but xbox has neogeo emulation so there is very little reason to get a saturn and pay insane prices for the games.,
aruceid
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by aruceid »

With Neo Geo emulation in the state it is, the only reason people would want a saturn is for radiant silvergun
aced411
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

2d emu

Post by aced411 »

That makes sense, and I considered that....but it's such a pain in the as*. I don't want to mess with my current system especially since I use xbox live, so I would buy another system new or used. I would have to pick out a good chip, figure out how to install it, get the bios loaded. Figure out how to burn the discs so the xbox can read them and run the emu's. I'm afraid to mess it up or never get it working. I don't like $200 mistakes. I use neogeo emulation on my pc and it works great but it's much easier on the computer. I could even run cps2 games on the xbox and I did manage to get the programs. We'll see if I want to be daring. I haven't made any permenant decisions. Thanks for the advice everybody. Keep it coming if you wish.

Post by Sir Slash »

Saturn games generally don't cost too much
WELCO
ME
TOT
HE
NEX
T
LEVEL

Master Higgins
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Master Higgins »

Sir Slash wrote:Saturn games generally don't cost too much
They are not so bad but try picking up waku waku 7, the samurai shodown games, darkstalkers we are talking 50 dollar range for eachone, for that cost just buy an xbox and put a lil time into it
Sir Slash

Post by Sir Slash »

i suppose that can add up

but buying in lots is the best way to get some good games quick
i got xmen vs street fighter, marvel vs street fighter and vampire savior for $65 shipped!! Just watch for the good deals and they will come ;)

like this is an awesome deal
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 27244&rd=1
WELCO
ME
TOT
HE
NEX
T
LEVEL

Sultan of Saturn
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by Sultan of Saturn »

Yes, the 4 meg ram cart games on Saturn are arcade perfection bliss. I had so much fun playing on my Saturn, that it delayed my pick up of a Dreamcast. Plus, there are just so many more good imports for the system in comparison to the Dreamcast, imho.
Formerly Known As "Chalavet".....
DeGamer
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by DeGamer »

Get a Saturn. You won't regret it.
zero
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by zero »

Yes get a saturn, and if your into RPGs, SRPGs pick up Penzer dragoon Saga if you can get it and shining force 3, i still have both of them games and must go back and play them sometimes, **COUGH**maybe i could hook ye guys up for a price *COUGH** :wink: . just kidding about hooking ye guys up **COUGH** Maybe **COUGH**.

Zero waits to see how much trouble he gets into for that :o .
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

aruceid wrote:With Neo Geo emulation in the state it is, the only reason people would want a saturn is for radiant silvergun
There are other good, Saturn exclusive, imports besides Radian Silvergun. I'm gonna pick up a Saturn in a few months, found a seller that has a big stack of them for $25 a piece.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Sir Slash

Post by Sir Slash »

panzer dragoon saga
shining force 3
capcom vs games
dragon force
saturn bomberman
guardian heroes
WELCO
ME
TOT
HE
NEX
T
LEVEL

aruceid
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by aruceid »

i know there are other games besides radiant. but the majority of people who want a saturn, its for that game.
Sir Slash

Post by Sir Slash »

yeah its kinda pathetic
WELCO
ME
TOT
HE
NEX
T
LEVEL

DeGamer
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by DeGamer »

Sir Slash wrote:yeah its kinda pathetic
Very Pathetic.

Master Higgins wrote:
They are not so bad but try picking up waku waku 7, the samurai shodown games, darkstalkers we are talking 50 dollar range for eachone, for that cost just buy an xbox and put a lil time into it
I dunno. Lately I've seen those games very cheap on ebay. My friend bought SFA 1 & 2 for $6 :!:
Master Higgins
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Master Higgins »

DeGamer wrote:
Sir Slash wrote:yeah its kinda pathetic
Very Pathetic.

Master Higgins wrote:
I dunno. Lately I've seen those games very cheap on ebay. My friend bought SFA 1 & 2 for $6 :!:
SFA 1 and 2 aren't Waku Waku 7, Dark Stalkers or the Samurai Shodown games, those games were widely released and in the US and later on in the saturn's life. I have both those games too :P
Master Higgins
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Master Higgins »

There are other good, Saturn exclusive, imports besides Radian Silvergun. I'm gonna pick up a Saturn in a few months, found a seller that has a big stack of them for $25 a piece.
Golden Axe the Duel, Bug :P
DeGamer
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by DeGamer »

Well Vampire Savior is going for 15 bucks right now and Samurai Shodown is going for 10 bucks. Not bad considering I bought both games for 59 dollars each. These games used to be very expensive on ebay but now they are much cheaper. I do remember VS (Without the ram cart) going for $80 one time.