saturn os dreamcast?? which is better??

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.

which is better??

saturn
31%
dreamcast
69%

Total votes: 26
CoasterKing
Gone Postal...
Gone Postal...
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by CoasterKing » Wed Dec 03, 2003 9:08 am

BaldMonk wrote:I LOVED the Saturn... but I have to say, the Dreamcast creams it. SEGA's best console EVER!!!!!
Agreed but it is a close contest. If the Dreamcast wasn't so great then I wouldn't still be at this site.

The DC just has more games that I enjoy. The Saturn does have a bloody excellent llibrary of games though, especially some of the imports.

And yes Sega Rally was class and the best driving game on the Saturn but it has long been surpassed as the best Rally game IMO.
CyberMick
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by CyberMick » Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:38 am

BaldMonk wrote:And yes Sega Rally was class and the best driving game on the Saturn but it has long been surpassed as the best Rally game IMO.
Yes but that's to be expected after all Sega Rally on the Saturn is nearly 8 years old it was bound to be out done sooner or later especially with todays consoles and PC. :)
Last edited by CyberMick on Wed Dec 03, 2003 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards.

CyberMick.
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus » Wed Dec 03, 2003 11:34 am

MY DC is always getting played, my Saturn hasn't been on in weeks. Dreamcast wins.
Sweater Fish
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Sweater Fish » Wed Dec 03, 2003 1:49 pm

CoasterKing wrote:And yes Sega Rally was class and the best driving game on the Saturn but it has long been surpassed as the best Rally game IMO.
By which games? Not by the Colin McRae series, not by the V-Rally series, not the the Top Gear Rally series, not by the Gran Turismo rally tracks, not even by it's own sequel! These games all have better graphics, more tracks, most even have more realistic physics (something Sega Rally never claimed to have), but I don't think any of them even begin to approach Sega Rally's addictiveness or fun factor. I'm sure there are some rally games I haven't played, though, but I'd really have to play them a whole lot--put the hours into them that I put into Sega Rally and see if the fun lasted as it has with Sega Rally--before I could admit that Sega Rally had been outdone.

...word is bondage...
Gmc
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Gmc » Wed Dec 03, 2003 4:59 pm

Saturn. I had a lot more memorable moments playing it, and it had Guardian Heroes...damn that games awesome...I need to get another sega saturn asap >_>"
jsm
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by jsm » Wed Dec 03, 2003 5:17 pm

IMO gamin on the saturn is alteast 300 times more fun than gaming on a high-end PC
jsm
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by jsm » Wed Dec 03, 2003 5:21 pm

about EA-games, might have been good for the DC having their support, but personally I think EA = mainstream-crap, the crappiest games in history

ouch, posted this in the wrong thread, oh well
CoasterKing
Gone Postal...
Gone Postal...

Post by CoasterKing » Thu Dec 04, 2003 9:46 am

Sweater Fish wrote:
CoasterKing wrote:And yes Sega Rally was class and the best driving game on the Saturn but it has long been surpassed as the best Rally game IMO.
By which games? Not by the Colin McRae series, not by the V-Rally series, not the the Top Gear Rally series, not by the Gran Turismo rally tracks, not even by it's own sequel! These games all have better graphics, more tracks, most even have more realistic physics (something Sega Rally never claimed to have), but I don't think any of them even begin to approach Sega Rally's addictiveness or fun factor. I'm sure there are some rally games I haven't played, though, but I'd really have to play them a whole lot--put the hours into them that I put into Sega Rally and see if the fun lasted as it has with Sega Rally--before I could admit that Sega Rally had been outdone.

...word is bondage...
Well that is your opinion and you are of course entitled to it :)

Sega Rally on the Saturn is superb but Colin McRae 04 is the best rally game ever created IMO. I'm also looking forward to Rallisport Challenge 2 which should be an excellent game considering how much I enjoyed the first one.
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Ian Micheal » Thu Dec 04, 2003 10:00 am

I dont think Grafix make it better Sega rally saturn is more fun then Colin McRae which was allways fustrating to play . I dont think its been bettered. I doubt you played it as much as some of us. I cant even play other Rally games to long. I just go back to the sega rally. I thought the dreamcast port was rubbish.

I think people have lost the fact games are supposed to be fun. I dont find any rally game as fun as a blast on sega rally saturn. grafix may be not the best for today. but the feeling of speed is much better then other games.
Dreamcast forever!!!
CoasterKing
Gone Postal...
Gone Postal...

Post by CoasterKing » Thu Dec 04, 2003 10:27 am

Ian Micheal wrote:I dont think Grafix make it better Sega rally saturn is more fun then Colin McRae which was allways fustrating to play . I dont think its been bettered. I doubt you played it as much as some of us. I cant even play other Rally games to long. I just go back to the sega rally. I thought the dreamcast port was rubbish.

I think people have lost the fact games are supposed to be fun. I dont find any rally game as fun as a blast on sega rally saturn. grafix may be not the best for today. but the feeling of speed is much better then other games.
My preference has nothing to do with graphics. It's all about the gameplay, the unrivaled realism and the physics. I did play Sega Rally to death and I thought the Saturn version was stunning, vastly better than the arcade version and it's pretty average sequel. I still think Colin McRae 04 is the best rally game I've ever played.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Quzar » Thu Dec 04, 2003 8:54 pm

in saturn vs DC, without games, i like the small CD window which is purdy. I also like the built in memory and the expansion bay as well as the cartridge thinger. One of the smallest things that the DC is missing is a good CD player interface. I love that little thing for the Saturn with the spaceship and the controller being mapped out as the fuctions as opposed to having to select them individually.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
gamedudex2
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by gamedudex2 » Fri Dec 05, 2003 7:27 pm

saturn is the best.

i love my dreamcast to death, but the saturn also has an awesome game selection

and the best bomberman ever.

also online play is better on saturn.... segenet s done, many games unplayable online

sure some games are still playable online, but not many servers, and the servers are not as fast as seganets,

saturn has online games for nearly forever,.. mayeb only five games

but you cant go wrong, with sega rally netlink, virtua on netlink, daytona usa cce netlink, duke nukem 3d, and saturn bomberman.

28.8 modem with lag free gaming owns... but its not internet.. its just direct dial, (you and your friend have a saturn and netlink modem and these 5 games, you can play online, just make a phone call on the saturn)

so sega wins hands down.

did i mention radient silvergun owns ikurga(ikurga is not a sequel to that game, treasure said something about maybe making as radient silvergun 2 sometime)

panzer dragoon 1-2 and saga.
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Ian Micheal » Fri Dec 05, 2003 8:16 pm

CoasterKing wrote:
Ian Micheal wrote:I dont think Grafix make it better Sega rally saturn is more fun then Colin McRae which was allways fustrating to play . I dont think its been bettered. I doubt you played it as much as some of us. I cant even play other Rally games to long. I just go back to the sega rally. I thought the dreamcast port was rubbish.

My preference has nothing to do with graphics. It's all about the gameplay, the unrivaled realism and the physics. I did play Sega Rally to death and I thought the Saturn version was stunning, vastly better than the arcade version and it's pretty average sequel. I still think Colin McRae 04 is the best rally game I've ever played.
No doubt your correct about Realism and physics colin Mcrae has it all over Sega rally. What it does not have is fun. Being real is nice but not really fun ive found Colin McRae makes me tired after playing it. good game but i find it work not fun.

Sega rally on the saturn you can pick it up after 6 months play it 50 mins and have a blast then put it away. Thats what i do. I agree it was better then the arcade version. I really was blowing chunks when the dreamcast version was rubbish .

Your right about a lot. But i perfer fun over it being to real. Like some nintendo games are more fun being non real like mario etc. It could be a real fat person with real looking grafix but i doubt it make it better.
Dreamcast forever!!!
gamedudex2
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by gamedudex2 » Sat Dec 06, 2003 1:32 pm

all that needs to be said is saturn netlink modem= god
drunkensailor
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by drunkensailor » Wed Dec 10, 2003 6:08 pm

Xylene wrote:Dreamcast. I thought most of the Saturn games were quite boring, arcade ports or not. For example, Sega Rally, not sure if its a port from arcade or not, considering I haven't played it in a while, but damn, that game was way to short. Along with some Daytona game. Wow, 3 laps and you're done. I was expecting a Nascar style race, atleast 10 laps. Only decent game I've played for Saturn was Virtua Cop.

what?? u could have up to 50 laps in daytona, did u really play it?? :?
come in peace and leave in pieces

life is hard but the frontside of a train is harder
drunkensailor
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by drunkensailor » Wed Dec 10, 2003 6:13 pm

what makes the biggest difference for me was that saturn owned 2 top rpg's saturn had 20 top rpg's also saturn games were almost all exclusives, unlike dreamcast

drunkensailor
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by drunkensailor » Wed Dec 10, 2003 6:19 pm

Spector wrote:Obviously on a Dc forum the DC will win, but I wonder what the result would be if this question was asked on a general gaming forum. It would be pretty tight, wouldn't it?

I did that on a general sega forum: segafan. and saturn won with like 60% followed by dreamcast and sega cd

+Atreyu+
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by +Atreyu+ » Thu Dec 11, 2003 11:30 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: !!! METAL SLUG !!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Metal Slug, its the best game on any platform and i had the saturn version before any1 knew it existed, saturn ROCKS!! but i had to sell it to buy a dreamcast which i will keep for ever, these are my top sega saturn games... istill miss them.

metal slug
radient silvergun
layer section
sega rally
house of dead
dead or alive
fighters megamix/vipers+virtua fighter
xmen vs streetfighter
street fighter alpha series
destruction derby

... and probably the game i will miss the most ( Nights ... In To Dreams )

...sob...sob...sob
Flawless Victory ...
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Quzar » Thu Dec 11, 2003 2:46 pm

I think it would be AWSOME if someone made a single game Saturn wrapper/emulator. It might be possible if it was single game based.

The Dream Lives On.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
drunkensailor
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by drunkensailor » Thu Dec 11, 2003 2:53 pm

no it's impossible, there isn't even a proper saturn emulator for pc, and we have 3 ghz pc's these days while dreamcast is only 200 mhz