Post your Dreamcast history

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
Chaniyth
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post your Dreamcast history

Post by Chaniyth » Sat Jan 11, 2003 8:52 pm

My history is a rocky one, as I was all hyped for it when it first came out, I bought one about a month after release... I kept it one day, and took it back. I didn't like the system. Plus it kept freezing. I then a week later bought another one, it kept freezing while playing Sega Bass Fishing... plus I wasn't too fond of it.

The following year, I bought one with my birthday money, took it back the same day... once again, I loved it but wasn't interrested in it at the same time.

Sometime after that I had a severe Dreamcast craving! I dunno how, why, or where it came from, it was just there. I forget what the lowest prices were for brand new Dreamcasts... $99 or $50? I forget how low the retail prices got. So I finally got one from Toys R Us, it came with 3 free ganmes... the entire 2K1 sports series... sadly the modem died 2 weeks later so I took it back. I went months looking for an original (orange style box) modle with no luck. I went out everyday looking for one, searching on eBay for one, no luck. However by fate, I stumbled upon one at a local EB, it came with everything original... including the box which is in near mint condition. It even had the original web browser, and original phone line cord, un-opened... all the plastic wraps included. It was like a new system! It was $70... and i've never looked back since.

Yes I know I waited until Dreamcast was "dead" (it's FAR from dead), but I fell in love with the little bugger since the day I bought the one that came wiht the 2K1 series, I actually said, "How could I have denighed my feelings for this machine!?"

My Dreamcast library now consists of over 70 Dreamcast games, 98% of which were bought new and sealed, and not a one of them are Sega All Stars (i'm anti Sega All Stars... don't ask why... I just am!)

It also consists of a never used Dreamcast import converter, and of a VCD/MP3 player with remote, about 7 packaged original Sega brand VMU's, and 2 packaged original Sega brand Jump Paks.

It's been a long tough history between Dreamcast and I, but it all worked out perfectly in the end, I absolutely adore my Dreamcast, it's my all time favorite game system and I can honestly say... I don't know what I would do without it.
All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and when they catch you, they will kill you... but first they must catch you.
bizzle

Post by bizzle » Sat Jan 11, 2003 8:57 pm

thats awesome man. i got mine christmas 2001 with christmas money i had. i bought from some guy for cheap, who had it sealed still, that he bought release day. i got a nice selection of games, and 2 vmu's
Tall Israeli
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Tall Israeli » Sat Jan 11, 2003 9:50 pm

I love the topic! :)

I preordered my DC a couple months before it came out and I completely forgot about it. Well on 9/9/99, my local Funcoland called and said my DC was in and I could pick it up. So after talking to my dad, we went to pick it up. I ended up buying a VMU and HOTD2. I came home, set the system up and played HOTD2 for a couple hours. In about a week, I beat the game and I went to pick up some new ones.

After that, I was kind of in and out of gaming for a while and would use the DC as a web browser for most of the time. Then when the DC went online, I picked up NFL2K1 and soon after I picked up a keyboard. I remember playing NFL2K1 for hours on end. My whole life of gaming was online oriented for a while. Once I got bored of NFL2K1, I picked up Q3A and a mouse. That was the next major game I played online. I clocked in at least 100+ hours on it. After that it was just playing the THPS series and the reading ODCM, the best magazine EVER. Once PSO came out, I was hooked. To this day I still play it, with over 300 hours clocked. :)
girls keep telling me they want 8".. so i tell'm ok.. i'll fold it in half
TreyDay
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by TreyDay » Sat Jan 11, 2003 9:55 pm

In November of 1999 my mom bought it for me as a Christmas present. I opened it December 24th of 1999 because I convinced her. I have about 12 games or so and have played about 30 of them.
You don't work, you don't eat.
You don't grind, you shine.
-Mike Jones

281-330-8004, when someone picks up, ask for Mike Jones!

"It's [TreyDay] baby, I'm stackin my cheddar/plus I'm packin mo' heat than a Bill Cosby sweater"
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by |darc| » Sat Jan 11, 2003 10:47 pm

'Twas time to purchase a PS2. This would be the first system I'd buy on launch, as when the other ones came out I was too young to be aware of it, or didn't care about those systems.

I had played a DC around Christmas '99, as my cousin (Jeeba Jabba) got one around then. I really liked the system a lot. I thought SA was cool. However, I didn't say I liked it because I was a blind Sega hater, hating Sega for no reason just like a fanboy loves his system blindly (As a child, I was a strong supporter of the SNES and hated Genesis, and the hatred carried on I guess).

I would barely have enough money to purchase the PS2, let alone a game. My mom finally agreed to let me buy a game when I bought my PS2. I wasn't sure what game to get, but I was leaning towards getting Silent Scope.

I was going to skip school (with my mother's permission, of course, I am not the school-skipper type) and sleep by my grandpa's (my cousin pretty much lives there) and early in the morning we were going to get PS2s and play the day away.

But as the launch day grew closer by, I had thoughts of backing out of buying one. The DC was a nice system, and it had Silent Scope, the game I wanted, and a bunch of other games that were way better, plus some guy my cousin knew in the mall burned DC games for $7 (I was not very understanding at this point). Eventually I backed out of buying a PS2, and I bought a DC after I got my birthday money, my cousin backed out also. I borrowed some of his games to play, I played the demo disk, and since the DC was way cheaper than the PS2 I still had my Christmas money to buy DC games with.

I have overcome my Sega hatred, I bought the superior system that I do not regret buying, had fun with it, and to this day I still haven't gotten a PS2, despite having an Xbox and GameCube.
It's thinking...
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 18 times

Post by BlueCrab » Sat Jan 11, 2003 11:25 pm

I got a DC for my birthday in 2000.

My mom (at that point) was on the computer constantly, and had all kinds of junk e-mail and such. She was also a frequent player in Online Sweepstakes. I told her to stop wasting her time, that she would never win.

Well, it was about the middle or end of April when my mom came to me when I got home from school and asked me to help her do something on-line. She went, turned on the computer, logged on to AOL, and went to her e-mail, and at the top of the list was a notice from one of those online sweepstakes she played in. It said something like "congratulations you're a winnner". She told me to open the e-mail, and surely enough she had won one of those contests.

She won a Dreamcast system. We filled out the form that the e-mail said to fill out. It then said allow 8-10 weeks for delivery. (or something like that). My mom said, there that's your birthday present.

I thought to myself "darn, I'm not gonna have any present to open on my birthday" (not out of disbelief, more because my birthday was in 5 weeks).

It was about the 15th of May, when I came home and saw a package on the front doorstep from Outpost.com (a shopping site, not the contest site). I was thinking to myself, "what did my mother order off of the internet".

When my mother got home, I asked what it was. She had no clue, but it was surely addressed to her. I asked if I could open it. She said "sure" as she headed up the stairs.

To my delight, it was my brand new Dreamcast. Before she got back down-stairs, I had it opened and hooked up, playing the demo disc that came with it.

She said to me "You aren't supposed to use that until your birthday" (after she realized what it was). I told her that I really couldn't do much with it until then (when I would get some games).

And that's how I got my Dreamcast.

The moral of this story, Sometimes things that seem like a waste of time, actually turn out to be good (or waste more time of other people :mrgreen: ).
farrell2k
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by farrell2k » Sun Jan 12, 2003 12:06 am

I bought my first one bec I acquired a bootleg of marvel vs cap2 and have been with it ever since. Itr is currently the only system I own.
zektor
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by zektor » Sun Jan 12, 2003 1:18 am

I got my DC as a gift months before it hit the USA. My brother purchased an Asian unit at a store in Paterson (New Jersey) and I was the first on my block to play Sonic (in JAP of course). Then, when the USA version was released, I found out to my dismay that the $400 import Asian DC would NOT play the US games, nor did it include the modem that the USA version had packed in. Well, I was relieved a little while later by the UTP boot loader, which allowed me to play USA games on it, but was still upset about being modemless. I went to a local Toys R US, purchased a DC, and swapped my Asian one in the box and went to return it. The Manager actually knew it was an import, but couldn't prove that I swapped it out...maybe it was one of the employees :) I know..evil. Well, I still have my DC, and love it dearly!
Cless
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by Cless » Sun Jan 12, 2003 1:48 am

I didnt even care about Dc untill I saw one play about early 98. I was at buyrite watch the Japanese sonic Adventure. Well 2 years past and it was the end of 99 and a bough one. Then sold it. Then bought one. Then it broke. Then I bought one. Then it broke. Then I bought another. Throught that time I played many games and Clock 1200+ hr on PS0 in.
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi » Sun Jan 12, 2003 2:09 am

I was reading one of my friend's gaming mags from overseas, looking at all these add ons for the PSX and thinking how lame they were, when I suddenly noticed a new console, something called a Dreamcast. I asked him and he said "Psh, yeah, Sega's gonna make another console. Losers." I literally crapped my pants. Then I went home and played my Saturn and Genesis / 32x for a few months, wondering when I was going to see the new console.

About 2 months later, I walked into my local software etc. (now babbage's or gamestop, some corporate whore) and they had an Asian import running SA. I didn't even play it. i picked up the controller, held it for a minute or two, put it down, walked over to the sheet, and signed up for preorders of a console, an extra controller, SA and V8: Second offnese.

On 9/9/99, I went and stood in line (missed my first class) with my Dad. I ended up not getting my DC just then, but he went back and got it later that day. I came home from school at the end of the week and found it hidden out in this side room where I now live. I then spent about 30 minutes hooking it up (no RF adapter, ended up using an old C64 monitor). When I watched the intro movie to Sonic Adventure, I knew I had found the last console I'd ever need.

I now own my DC, a serial upload cable, 3 controllers plus a busted pelican that I still love, 2 VMU's and a performance 8x card, legit copies of THPS 1 and 2, V8:SO, MDK2, Chef's Luv Shack, MSR, SA, JGR, Crazy Taxi, all the ODCM's and discs except for the first prerelease disc, and PSOv2, as well as backups of PSOv2, GTA2 (sucks), Rayman 2 (sucks), Ikaruga (eh, but not worth 70 bucks), Zero Gunner 2 (wish this was in my local stores, it rules), and Heavy Metal Geomatrix (suffers from Ikaruga syndrome).

I love my dc as much as I love sandwhiches, and I'm going to buy a second one soon. Then I'm going to upgrade mine when I go in the service. I want to:

Paint it
Put a good mod chip in
Drop in a BBA
Put in a fresh GD-Rom unit and crank up the laser a lil bit
Strap on some led lights
Get 4 matching controllers, 2 Sega and 2 pelican, with 4 matching vmu's and 4 painted Performance arthritis-causing jump packs
Buy it a Neo-Geo pocket and link cable
Get the 2 - player link cable
Need a Treamcast, Dreamcast modchip, HUGE DC memory card, ASCII-like DC fighter pad, or Saturn Gameshark with tons of backup memory? PM me.
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Been liked: 3 times

Post by pixel » Sun Jan 12, 2003 10:41 am

pick one up for $50 in may
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont » Sun Jan 12, 2003 11:06 am

It was but a few weeks before launch and I was shopping in Tesco. I was deliberately setting out to find information on the Dreamcast. The reason - years ago I has seen a cool 3D Sonic game, wanted it, bought Sonic 3D, realised this wasn't it, and had been searching for the mystery game ever since. After seeing Sonic Adventure I was set. I bought the official magazine, read every word in there, and talked about nothing else. But then of course, my dad started reading about the PS2 (as did I) and managed to convince me that a PS2 would be better, and worth the wait.

So, I waited until PS2 launch time, realised there was nothing I wanted, but bought TimeSplitters anyway - the game I didn't like the least, It turned out to be alright, and I forgot all about the DC. Then, I stumbled acorss the DreamSNES site, shortly followed by this one. After seeing all the stuff it could do, especially play the SNES Final Fantasy games (although it turns out it couldn't very well) I started looking for one. The only problem was, after spending ?400 on a PS2 and a few accessories and a game for it, there was no way in hell I'd be allowed to have one. After almost a year of convinving, I started to convince my parents I'd still use the Dreamcast. But then there was talk of it failing against "Sony's Powerhouse". So after a few more months I found a cheap one in a store catalogue. And another one. And another one. But none were in stock.

Everywhere I looked, nobody had any new Dreamcasts. SEGA had apparently stopped making them, but I eventually saw one with no games for ?100 in Argos. I wanted it enough to pay that price, went down, and they gave me the last one in stock for ?50. I walked to EB, picked up Sonic Adventure second-hand for ?12, got to the car and realised that the DC box also had Sonic Adventure and Chu Chu Rocket inside - despite the fact that the box's contents didn't mention them.

So, that was a year ago, just after Christmas, and after picking up some reals gems, and collecting a few of the better emulators and apps on the Dreamcast, I've realised that if I'd just got one on launch I'd have been a lot happier. THe only things edging me towards a PS2 were:

1. The DVD Player. At the time we'd just payed ?400 for one for downstairs, and I thought it'd be cool to have one upstairs. As it happens, I rcieved a better DVD player with VCD and MP3 support a year later, and barely used the PS2 one in that time.

2. Final Fantasy X. I loved VII and considered it to be the best game yet, and although I was dissappointed with VIII, I thought that the next one on PS2 would be great. Well, it turns out the next one I bought was FFIX on PSone, and loved it. I then bought FFX, was quite dissappointed, and ralised it wasn't worth paying ?300 for a console just to play that.

Still to this day, I don't think there's a single great game I like on PS2 that isn't available on another platform. Then again, I think the same about all of the 3 current consoles. But, a Dreamcast on the other hand, is chock-a-block full of some of the greatest games ever made, despite having the smallest number of total games available. I hate myself to this day for not getting a Dreamcast sooner, and enjoy watching my friends squirm as I ask them to list PS2-exclusive games that have had anything higher than a 7 or 8 out of 10 :D .
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
sixteen-bit
Hardware Freak
Hardware Freak

Post by sixteen-bit » Sun Jan 12, 2003 1:47 pm

After the era of SNES and Megadrive, I was a big PC gamer and never really liked the playstation or saturn that much. I had seen the launch of the N64 and wanted one very much so, but held off spending my money because "PC games were better" (hah! How foolish I was). Around the time of the DC release, I was walking past a local computer shop and saw the Soul Calibur auto demo running on a dreamcast.. to say I was amazed would be a total understatement. When the retail price of the system dropped to ?100 I bought one with a small selection of games.
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi » Sun Jan 12, 2003 2:19 pm

Just remembered something I needed to add in.

I showed my friends the Dreamcast. My frind Rich and my die-hard FF fan friend Blake saw it too. Blake got it for his next-gen rpg fix, and Rich got one the second he saw NFL2k.

My friend who had the gaming mag waited, and bought a PS2.

A few months (and two breakdowns later), he thought he'd be cool and get a Dreamcast like us.

Oh, and I also own SF Rush 2049 and Speed Devils, plus I just scored a Nyko jump pack and another real dc controlelr for a few bucks. Snootchie Bootchies!
Need a Treamcast, Dreamcast modchip, HUGE DC memory card, ASCII-like DC fighter pad, or Saturn Gameshark with tons of backup memory? PM me.
mmboy
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by mmboy » Sun Jan 12, 2003 8:48 pm

I too wanted to get a PS2 instead ofa DC. I thought PS2 was the best ever, be4 my dad's friend who is 40 sumthing, lives @ home and his life revolves around video games told me about DC. THe $100 price tag really appealed to me :D So my B-day was right around the corner, and I was dying for it cuz I already bought Virtual ON from a friend of $7 :) I was itching to play it. When we got home it sn't there, I was devestated, and in shock that I didn't get it. Then a little while later, my mom said she found another present, then I knew it was it :mrgreen: ripped it open, hooked it up, poped the demo disk open, and started to play THPS, I was blown away by it, especially compared to the PS version lol. I was skating in that little area at the top of the 1st level for an hour until i realized you could break thru the glass LOL then I was amazed by DOA2, then I played my game VO:OT and had lots of fun. Now I have over 75 games, and almost all of the accessories. DC 4 ever baby!
sig down :( gehy boomspeed... any1 wanna host it? where could i host it?
mkjones
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by mkjones » Mon Jan 13, 2003 4:13 am

The Short Version:

I had a Mega Drive.

I always wanted a Mega CD. But couldnt afford one (I was only 15!)

I never heard of the 32x in the UK.

I always wanted a Saturn. Again couldnt afford one (I was slightly older)

I never wanted a PlayStation, hated them.

Went for years without anything but a PC.

Finnished College, got a job, moved out, got a house.

Sega had gone slightly tits up, I was upset :-(

Got a NeoGeo pocket becuase the Game Boy was just pants.

I got a GBA, decided Nintendo were OK.

Waited for the GameCube to come out.

When it did decided no thank you.

HEY! I can afford a Dreamcast from eBay!

I love Sega!

?50 later and im here.

Thanks...
Dust on the Dreamcast
reaper2k2
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by reaper2k2 » Mon Jan 13, 2003 5:21 am

BOUGHT mine in 1999 dec some time $450 nothing with it just to play D2 and then they siad in about 5 months after that the dreamcast is dead in australia

every one agress at gaming shops its better then the ps2 that i talk to and have one at home

ive been at this site since it started but never posted! i have 35 real games not saying the non real games i have ether!

when the boot disk came out i remember it was a idrive party every night

every one i knew was hiding games on idrive and the transloader thing you could send it to friends in a sec to there idrive and so on was crazy ever new dreamcast game was out for download some times before it was out

im now doing home brew and such and trying to live out the dream that i had to do this for the commodore which i failed at!
http://homebrew.dcemulation.com/dcgames/ *homebrew webbrowser games *

http://r2k2gate.topcities.com *dev site and my releases*
Im' a Commodorian are you?
Prophet][
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Prophet][ » Mon Jan 13, 2003 6:41 am

I had a saturn and decided it was time to upgrade in christams of 2000, So I sold my saturn and games to my cousin and walked into EB. I knew the guys in the store and they gave me a pretty good deal, 1 DC, 1 controller, 1 VMU, Blue Stingers, Soul Calibur and Sega Rally 2 for $450.

I was drawn to it cos the PS2 wasn't out yet and I didn't like the N64.

I have bout 20 games, all original. I got into the DC Homebrew Scene of May 2002. I got into it by visting 'backup' sites :roll: which had Dreamsnes and all.

The only non-sega machine I've ever owned is an orignal pong machine and an Itellivision. I didn't make it that way, it just happened and a mate pointed it out when I got my DC.

Just a note, The reason I had a saturn was cos I had a heap of money and a HUGE sotre in Adelaide was closing down and everything was hell cheap, I gave my dad the money and told him to get me a playstation, but he couldn't tell the differnce and got me a saturn thinking it was a PS, I was pissed at first but I look back and think, it would have been nice to have a PS, but my saturn had some killer games the PS could never give me.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont » Mon Jan 13, 2003 10:00 am

mkjones wrote:I never heard of the 32x in the UK.
They did get here, but were hideously expensive. I have a friend who still has one, but it's only good for Knuckles Chaotix, which is the weakest off all the Sonic-style games anyway.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Sir Slash

Post by Sir Slash » Mon Jan 13, 2003 12:11 pm

i had been a loyal sega follower since the genesis days, bought every system since the genesis (except pico) and have had a good deal of money loss to mostly 32x... but any way after the saturns demise i was afraid segas new system wouldn't make it so i waited.... i finally went out and got one june 2000 and thought it was quite impressive, i though sega actually had a winner, crazy taxi just came out and all the major gaming magazines were saying great things about it.. i was proud to have the most powerful system on the market.... then you all know what happened....
WELCO
ME
TOT
HE
NEX
T
LEVEL