I Read this and felt sort of sad ;-(

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
mkjones
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

I Read this and felt sort of sad ;-(

Post by mkjones » Sun Jan 05, 2003 6:39 pm

Hey guys, not really a topic for this forum, excuse me if it gets moved...

Just read this : http://www.streettech.com/archives_gadget/DCvsPS2.html Article, its from when the PS2 just came out...

Made me kinda miss a full time Sega console on the shelves, i mean i wonder what Sega had up there sleves for the next system...

Sure we have all been over what went wrong, but look at what was right, i have to say that if the DC had a reall killer title like GTA3 when it came out then it would still be here today, maybe im wrong, and yes i HAVE playes better games on the DC than GTA3 (Jet Set Radio for one)...

Anyway, its about a year ago this week when Sega gave up the Dreamcast ghost, shame about that... :|

Anyway, on a lighter note, we are all here keepin the dream(cast) alive, and we all know its the daddy....

Long live Sega,

See ya.... thanx for reading..
Dust on the Dreamcast
Speeddemon
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Speeddemon » Sun Jan 05, 2003 6:53 pm

I think GTA 3 would of eventually reached the Dc if it was doing good considering out GTA 2 was right there few months after Dc came out.

oh and another strong point for sega beating ps2

Look at the companies: Sega gave out a phone no. and sony didnt :P
P|-|33r |\/|3 B147C|-|!!!
Kiley
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Kiley » Sun Jan 05, 2003 10:47 pm

Of course sega gives you their phone number. Sega were probably waiting by the phone for someone to ring and then would talk to them all day because no one else would want to

You know those people who actually talk to the Jehovahs for ags cos their so lonely, thats Sega.

Nah just joking
Daniel Kiley is still "dreaming"
Mr._Chips
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Mr._Chips » Mon Jan 06, 2003 2:02 am

You shouldn't feel so sad. Think of all those suckers who went out and spent $200 on the PS2. Even to this very day! Remeber, the Playstation2 was released in 1999, same year as Dreamcast. What sets it apart is this great emulation scene,not to mention it's veeeeery cheap....

You see, the PS2 really doesnt have much of a homebrew following. It's well known how it's more difficult to code on. I think most people who get PS2, only wanted to have a great sytem which would accpet their old PSX games as well. There's Sega's main fault on the DC: No backwards compatability for the Saturn. Or DVD capabilities (but that doesnt matter to real gamerz!)
also, the xbox is tough competition. It is great for homebrew, has hard drive, loads of ram and geforce3. PS2 has outdated processor, hardly enough RAM, other technical flaws are dicussed in DC vs. PS2 on main page.
Relax, and know you're in the right boat. The DC has ENDLESS possibitites yet! :)
"The only thing that we can know is that we know nothing,
and that is the highest flight of human wisdom." -Leo Tolstoy
mkjones
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by mkjones » Mon Jan 06, 2003 4:21 am

sniff, sorry, im a sentimental, i mean imagine if Nintendo back out of the Console wars, there would be no old school games makes about....

Anyway...

>>think GTA 3 would of eventually reached the Dc if it was doing
>>good considering out GTA 2 was right there few months after Dc came out.

WELL, apparantly GTA3 was origionally made FOR the Dreamcast, i have read somewhere that it was dropped due to "lack of system power" but this MUST be just PS2 users twisting the knife, besides there would be no way to see if it WOULD run on the DC becuase sony have exclusive rights for the console version...

be nice if some clever dude could port the PC version, but i very much doubt it!

>>You shouldn't feel so sad. Think of all those suckers who went out and spent
>>$200 on the PS2. Even to this very day!

that would be ALL of my close freinds then, makes me sick, my mate got one this christmas, he paid almost 300quid (thats UK pounds by the way, so a LOT more than dollers) for a ps2, 2 conrolers, and 4 games, what a jip!!

i got a DC with light gun and house of dead, plus 2 conrolers and 5 games all for ?50! plus delivery (yes, eBay)

Fools, all of them, and they take the piss cos the DC isnt as "good" ohhhhh, i mean! like you said pound for pound there is hardly ANY difference in the DC and PS2s power, just the PS2 has a DVD drive, well guess what, ive got a DVD player already! and it playes SVCD, MP3, VCD etc, can the PS2 do that??? errrr..... no

dont wanna go on BUT,,

>>There's Sega's main fault on the DC: No backwards compatability for
>>the Saturn. Or DVD capabilities (but that doesnt matter to real gamerz!)

Yes, but like its been said before, Saturn games on the DC wouldnt be a massive selling point due to the low sales of the Saturn over the years,, STILL it would be NICE.. the BEST thing was the DC was playing PSX games using Bleem! that was such a good feeling....

What WOULD have been nice would be if Sega did a MASSIVE Genesis game pack, like all of the Gen games on a few disks, like Action, Fighting or even A-F, G-whatever..... that would have swaeyd the old school kiddies to invest...

Also they REALLY should have sorted that Zip/Hard Drive add on thing, i mean it could have housed some more memory too and FireWire/USB making it more akin to the mightly Xbox than the wimpy PS2....

and one last thing, the DC doesnt play DVD movies, just like the GameCube doesnt, could it be becuase they are 'games' machines perhaps??

thanx....
Dust on the Dreamcast
reaper2k2
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by reaper2k2 » Mon Jan 06, 2003 7:14 am

THE DC is NOW compatable with LOL almsot every system

name them there called a emulator

EVEN a PLUS*/4 commodore ! snes etc so you know one day dreamcasts will cost more

when i bring out my own homebrew games the whole market will come back lol

any ways with all the stuff we got and the stuff all the devvers are doing were set baby!
http://homebrew.dcemulation.com/dcgames/ *homebrew webbrowser games *

http://r2k2gate.topcities.com *dev site and my releases*
Im' a Commodorian are you?
mkjones
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by mkjones » Mon Jan 06, 2003 8:12 am

>>when i bring out my own homebrew games the whole market will
>>come back lol

he, he, made me wonder tho, are there any 3rd party games out there for the DC that came out after its demise?? and i mean REAL ones you can get in shops,,,
Dust on the Dreamcast
reaper2k2
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by reaper2k2 » Mon Jan 06, 2003 9:56 am

YES infact theres still games coming out for it in japan

mkjones
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by mkjones » Mon Jan 06, 2003 10:20 am

Cool... any titles i should look out for,,,
Dust on the Dreamcast
reaper2k2
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by reaper2k2 » Mon Jan 06, 2003 10:56 am

YOU have to ask THE KRON he knows about imports and stuff

most of them we not play or are 100% jap

pavelbure
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by pavelbure » Mon Jan 06, 2003 10:58 am

wrong forum.
How many more people do the Radical Islamic Subhuman Cockroaches have to kill before people realize they need to be taken out ?
FFXI Server: Gilgamesh
FFXIV Server: Figaro
Liberals click here !!!!
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 » Mon Jan 06, 2003 11:21 am

I thought the PS2 didn't come out till 2000 in the states? The Dreamcast was out about 1 year before the PS2. Lately I must say I have been pretty dissapointed with the PS2 games. I mean there has been some fun games released, but they just look so crappy when compared to the games Xbox and GC has right now. I mean games like Rachet and Clank and Sly Cooper look fun, buy graphics wise there both pretty poor. The only games I have seen on PS2 that might not run on DC has been FFX (due to the dvd cutscenes basically) GTA3, and GTA VC. Im sure they could have been downgraded for the DC, but I doubt the DC could have handled them with its limited memory. I mean just to run GTA3 on PC it requires a pretty beefy PC, and isn't VC even more impressive them GTA3 graphics wise?
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
mkjones
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by mkjones » Mon Jan 06, 2003 2:12 pm

Yeh when i run GTA3 on my pc it sometimes struggles, then again the min requirements are like 700mhz and a good 3d card.... sounds like an Xbox to me :-P

anyway, thanks for moving this post, i wonderd where it should go...
Dust on the Dreamcast
Mr._Chips
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Mr._Chips » Tue Jan 07, 2003 10:16 pm

mkjones wrote: Yeh when i run GTA3 on my pc it sometimes struggles, then again the min requirements are like 700mhz and a good 3d card.... sounds like an Xbox to me

anyway, thanks for moving this post, i wonderd where it should go...
Y'know what? I am not really that impressed by GTA3, I mean, sure its great fun but really it's come so far away from the original it's hardly even worthy to recieve the name Grand Theft Auto!!
And I was watching someone play GTA3 on PS2 and the road dissapeared, turned blue like water. Glitch? No! the disc had an itty-bitty scratch on it.
That's were I'm glad I dont own so many DVDs ...think of the $$$ value you'd lose every time you drop the disc.
"The only thing that we can know is that we know nothing,
and that is the highest flight of human wisdom." -Leo Tolstoy
archduke
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by archduke » Tue Jan 07, 2003 10:55 pm

sadly the ps1 seems to have outlived the dc, juat aint no justice... kinda reminds me that snes outlived 3do... another awesome system that met an untimely demise
:(
Sir Slash

Post by Sir Slash » Wed Jan 08, 2003 12:44 am

3do did it to themselves though... it came on the market at like 799.99 ...... bullet in the head
WELCO
ME
TOT
HE
NEX
T
LEVEL

mariobro
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mariobro » Wed Jan 08, 2003 3:52 am

And the 3DO was so goddamn impressive... WAY superior to the PSX, and it came out almost two years before...

Licensees flocked to it (EA,Capcom,Namco, etc.) but in the end, the ludicrous price tag killed it.

Everyone who saw the early graphics demos of the 3DO crapped their pants... including me.

It at least gets credit for launching a very succesful game franchise: Need For Speed.
"Until I finally made it, life was kinda hit or miss...
And I'd love to talk philosophy, but I gotta take a piss"
-David Lee Roth
mkjones
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by mkjones » Wed Jan 08, 2003 8:13 am

Cool, whats the best site for 3DO screen shots??

dont suppose anyone has done a 3DO emu for the DC?

ive read loads about this on "The Scribes" site but not seen many games for it...

but yeh 800dollar for a console! were they mad..
Dust on the Dreamcast
Chaniyth
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Chaniyth » Wed Jan 08, 2003 9:22 am

What amazes me about PS2 is how GTA3 and GTA VC even run on it, considering PS2 only has 4mb of videoram.
All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and when they catch you, they will kill you... but first they must catch you.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont » Wed Jan 08, 2003 1:42 pm

Mr._Chips wrote:You shouldn't feel so sad. Think of all those suckers who went out and spent $200 on the PS2.
I payed ?300GBP for it on launch, which is over $450US :? .
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!