Almost finished???

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
Chalavet
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Almost finished???

Post by Chalavet »

I know that a lot of us have been furious due to games getting the axe for release on the Dreamcast. The most notable example is Half Life. However, does anyone else know if there were anymore games that were finished or close to getting finished that may never see the light of day? I heard that Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2 and Commandos 2 almost made it for release but never did. How about Agartha? That game looked quite neat (kind of like an aged Sean Connery meets Resident Evil).

I was just wondering. The reason why is because there have been some games getting published for the Sega CD and Sega Saturn that were never previously released. I forgot the name of the company (I think some small videogame store like good deal games or something like that); but who knows, maybe in 5 years, we will see some Dreamcast games come out of the woodwork.
I@N
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
Been thanked: 0

Post by I@N »

The main one I can think of is Propella Arena. I think it was actually finished (or at least very close to it), but the 11th September events meant it was canned as Sega though releasing a game where it is for planes to crash into buildings was in bad taste.

There are probably many others, but I cannot think of any at the moment.
Drink your weak lemon drink now!
Jordan
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Jordan »

well if the news about the reproducing of the DC is true maybe it'll bring high hopes....Sierra finished Half Life on DC..

Maybe they'll finally release it

they never officially said Propeller Arena was canned....Just delayed.....but i wouldnt doubt it
The Kron_

Post by The Kron_ »

They did officially say propellor areana was canned! (Europe,USA and Japan Sega branches all confirmed the cancellation)

Other titles that were canned are:

Black & White (Lionhead Studios)

Spike Out (one of the earliest games announced but never turned up)

Scud Race (same as Spike Out)

Toe Jam & Earl 3 (bought by M$ for the Xbox)

House of the Dead 3 (another M$ buyout)

Theres quite a few more, Ill post when I remember them
IUG-13

Post by IUG-13 »

The Kron wrote: Toe Jam & Earl 3 (bought by M$ for the Xbox)
Really? Now I really don't know which next gen system I am going to get...
Van_Lardo
DCEmu Hanger On
DCEmu Hanger On

Post by Van_Lardo »

Propeller Arena was cancelled because of the September 11th tragety.

It was finished... it looked good... but the whole point was to shoot down planes so it never got released.

That's all I know about what happened to this promising title... hopefully it will rematerialise on the X-Box or Gamecube in the future.

Black and White was stupidly dropped by Sega for publishment and since EA, Acclaim and basically every other major publisher wasn't interested in Dreamcast any more, no-one was willing to cough up to pay for it.

It was 90% complete... but alas... it shall never see the light of day (unless some one makes a PC emulator for Dreamcast...)

I don't know about Toejam and Earl 3.... but I loved the original so much, that it is still a great loss...

Oh well... at least we've still got Floigan Bros to look forward to here in the UK! (NOTE: Sarcasm! I have played the US version and... I'm not really impressed to say the least...)
Image http://www.geocities.com/vanlardo HELP! I CAN'T POST ANY MORE MESSAGES! I KEEP GETTING MESSAGES TELLING ME TO COME BACK LATER!
Vlad Tepes
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Vlad Tepes »

I think Propeller Arena and Soul Reaver 2 were my too biggest disappointments. Propeller Arena looked plain cool, and Soul Reaver 2 was one of the reasons I bought a DC in the first place. I REALLY want to know wheather or not Raziel will actually kill Kain...after following him into the time slipstream-thing-a-ma-bob. Now I'm just happy SR2 has been released for PC...hopefuly I'll know what happens in a few days...
Polymira
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Polymira »

Toe Jam & Earl 3 (bought by M$ for the Xbox)
Didn't I hear a while back that it was actually being released on GC?
--pSyCo
LukeD
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by LukeD »

I hope it comes to GC (or DC, probably not though) cause that's what I have and I don't really want to have to buy the Box