My friend arrested for selling dc backups!

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
ps2sucks
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

My friend arrested for selling dc backups!

Post by ps2sucks » Sun Nov 17, 2002 5:11 pm

My friend was selling bootleg copys of dreamcast in a irc and the next day when he wake up 5 cops were in his bedroom.There take away his computer his printer his scanner his dc games and backups and he was in jail for 4 days. Now heres going to court :roll: :cry:

I didn,t beliveve it. I really didn,t.
ImageImage
Anushian
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by Anushian » Sun Nov 17, 2002 5:20 pm

Seriously? Thats gotta suck
bizzle

Post by bizzle » Sun Nov 17, 2002 5:21 pm

good, and he should spend the rest of his life in jail, its illegal, illegal, get it????? warez monkeys
ps2sucks
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
DCEmu Uncool Newbie

Post by ps2sucks » Sun Nov 17, 2002 5:39 pm

wtf is a warez monkey?
ImageImage
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont » Sun Nov 17, 2002 5:42 pm

ps2sucks wrote:wtf is a warez monkey?
It's a term that seems to have been made up by the Nullers - it's used to describe someone that uses warez, be they human or primape.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
bizzle

Post by bizzle » Sun Nov 17, 2002 5:45 pm

i am not a nuller, i post in more then just null, but serious, your friend deserves to be in jail for trying to make money off other peoples hard work
bizzle

Re: My friend arrested for selling dc backups!

Post by bizzle » Sun Nov 17, 2002 5:47 pm

ps2sucks wrote:My friend was selling bootleg copys of dreamcast in a irc and the next day when he wake up 5 cops were in his bedroom.There take away his computer his printer his scanner his dc games and backups and he was in jail for 4 days. Now heres going to court :roll: :cry:

i doubt they would should up that quickly
CoasterKing
Gone Postal...
Gone Postal...

Post by CoasterKing » Sun Nov 17, 2002 6:17 pm

I have no sympathy for him. I doubt he will get more than a fine though as it doesn't sound like his illegal operation was on a grand scale. There is a Scottish guy who just got arrested for selling ?4 million of copied MS software...now he really is screwed!
clessoulis
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
DCEmu Uncool Newbie

Post by clessoulis » Sun Nov 17, 2002 6:25 pm

Why do people sell illegal items?
How did they know the guys adresss?
Why was so stupid and sell them online?

So many things wrong with this.
DNR the current kickass dc programer. Thanks
for the emulator I've been waiting 2 years for.

Thanks to Reaper2k2 also for showing interest into WSC emulation.

Selfbooting for Noobs
bizzle

Post by bizzle » Sun Nov 17, 2002 7:07 pm

i know, just sell them to friends or something, you wont get ass raped in jail then
farrell2k
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by farrell2k » Sun Nov 17, 2002 7:27 pm

Who filed suit against him, sega or another sotware piracy group?
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 18 times

Post by BlueCrab » Sun Nov 17, 2002 7:30 pm

Probably the government, as all in all criminal cases, the government is the one who files charges.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by |darc| » Sun Nov 17, 2002 7:36 pm

ps2sucks wrote:My friend was selling bootleg copys of dreamcast in a irc and the next day when he wake up 5 cops were in his bedroom.There take away his computer his printer his scanner his dc games and backups and he was in jail for 4 days. Now heres going to court :roll: :cry:

I don't beleive it.

1. Why would he wake up with cops in his bedroom? They wouldn't do it in the morning, and they certainly wouldn't break in and wake him up.
2. Why would they take his computer? Sure, he used it to pirate, but they just can't take his possessions like that.
3. Why would they take his printer/scanner? These have nothing to do with piracy or the pirating case.
It's thinking...
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 » Sun Nov 17, 2002 7:47 pm

Something isn't right about this. This sounds like something they would do to a terrorist suspect or something, not somebody selling bootleg games from a dead system. I doubt they would bust into his house and wait for him to wake up. Also how do you sell on IRC? They might be able to take his computer, but not the scanner and printer.

There is tons of people doing this on Yahoo Auctions all the time. They would be a hell of a lot easier to track then somebody on IRC.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
bizzle

Post by bizzle » Sun Nov 17, 2002 8:05 pm

Veggita2099 wrote:Something isn't right about this. This sounds like something they would do to a terrorist suspect or something, not somebody selling bootleg games from a dead system. I doubt they would bust into his house and wait for him to wake up. Also how do you sell on IRC? They might be able to take his computer, but not the scanner and printer.

There is tons of people doing this on Yahoo Auctions all the time. They would be a hell of a lot easier to track then somebody on IRC.
exactly.
No Name
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by No Name » Sun Nov 17, 2002 8:06 pm

Okay, I don't believe him either. But I have to say that when a friend of my older brother got caught selling illegal copies of games from miscellaneous systems, the put him in jail for a short amount of time, confiscated his computer, cd burners, and videogame systems, and also had his broadband internet disconnected. So his story isn't THAT far off.
mmm.... n00b blood
CoasterKing
Gone Postal...
Gone Postal...

Post by CoasterKing » Sun Nov 17, 2002 8:17 pm

TheGatesofBill wrote:Okay, I don't believe him either. But I have to say that when a friend of my older brother got caught selling illegal copies of games from miscellaneous systems, the put him in jail for a short amount of time, confiscated his computer, cd burners, and videogame systems, and also had his broadband internet disconnected. So his story isn't THAT far off.
I agree with you. Apart from the arrest in the night stuff, the rest seems pretty plausible. The computer would be taken for obvious reasons. All the illegal backups and roms would be stored on there. Also Scanning images from covers and manuals and then selling them on is as illegal as copying the games themselves, so that is why the printer and scanner would be taken.

The Homeland Security Act which is being processed through the US senate right now will possibly mean that anyone in the USA DOWNLOADING (not just selling) any illegal material electronically will face fines and possible court action. I'm not sure if this law is workable though.
bizzle

Post by bizzle » Sun Nov 17, 2002 8:35 pm

its rediculous how far our goverment(US) is going to try to prevent piracy, i think there so worried about it becuase video games, movies, and such are taxable items and they want to make money on everything, such as the tax they collect when you buy a game or movie.
El Guapo
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by El Guapo » Sun Nov 17, 2002 9:24 pm

|darc| wrote:

I don't beleive it.

1. Why would he wake up with cops in his bedroom? They wouldn't do it in the morning, and they certainly wouldn't break in and wake him up.
2. Why would they take his computer? Sure, he used it to pirate, but they just can't take his possessions like that.
3. Why would they take his printer/scanner? These have nothing to do with piracy or the pirating case.
1)Yes, the cops certaintly wouldn't break into his bedroom, but they do show up in the morning to execute warrants b/c this is the time when they are most certain of his location AND since he is most probaly asleep he has less opurtunity to run around and destroy evidence or grab his wallet and flee like a panicked idiot<since he is probally in his boxers still> 2) I'm pretty sure they can take your possessions like that 3)For what the other guy said <labels, covers, etc> plus they may wish to see if he has stored anything in the memory of these devices <encryption keys or passwords and sh*t to access files on his computer> people can do this but i can't
Assspen...where the beer flows like wine, and the women instinctively flock like the salmon of capistrano
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 » Sun Nov 17, 2002 9:52 pm

I also doubt they would do this over DC games. I could see if it was new movies, ps2 games, GBA roms, etc etc.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665