Dreamcast Link Cable

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
5tephan
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Dreamcast Link Cable

Post by 5tephan »

I'm sure you also heard about this "Dreamcast Link Cable" but could anyone tell me how to use it, or better use for what???

I like to play Alien Front Online in some kind of DC home network, but I don't think it's possible, what do you guys think about it?
Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Hawq »

Theres not many games that use the link cable but the ones that do are quite good, the only one I can remember at the moment is F355 challenge it's quite sneaky about it as I think it's hidden in a menu somewhere (cant remmeber exactly, no link cable so I never tried it). Theres others, Virtual On might use it not sure though.
The Prisoner - Makes NGE's ending look almost intelligible.
theres no-one else to blame

Bored? figure out where the above lines from. Answers
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

Of course Virtual on uses it! I've known several people who bought two DCs, two twin stix, two TVs and a link cable just for Virtual On (total cost of like $500, a lot cheaper then the arcade machine). That's how popular that game is. I can't judge it as I've never used the twinstix and it stinks on a regular controller.
[UR4]Dutch
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by [UR4]Dutch »

I bought 2 DC's for F355 and Virtual On. Well worth the money. With F355 it's a hidden menu, in the main or options-menu you have to press two buttons at the same time to reveal network-mode.

On the box of my linkcable it also states Capcom VS SNK. I can;t find it in the manuals though.
sixteen-bit
Hardware Freak
Hardware Freak

Post by sixteen-bit »

[UR4]Dutch wrote: On the box of my linkcable it also states Capcom VS SNK.
I believe that was a mistake/misprint though someone with the link cable should confirm this; I am not 100% certain.
ShadowofBob
ShadowOfBob
ShadowOfBob

Post by ShadowofBob »

sixteen-bit wrote:
I believe that was a mistake/misprint though someone with the link cable should confirm this; I am not 100% certain.
I think it means between the Neo Geo Pocket and Dreamcast, not a Dreamcast and another Dreamcast.
[UR4]Dutch
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by [UR4]Dutch »

I don't know for sure. I never played the game a lot since the PAL version does not support VGA. Also, the NTSC version of Daytona USA supports link-up. PAL version doesn't. I have no clue why anyone would like to link consoles for a fighting game. Especially a 2D Beat-Em-Up......

Racinggames make perfect sense. The overall advantage of F355 is clear, the graphics are just like a singleplayer game and the opponent is much better than the other CPU controlled cars.
Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Hawq »

ShadowofBob wrote:
sixteen-bit wrote:
I think it means between the Neo Geo Pocket and Dreamcast, not a Dreamcast and another Dreamcast.
You're quite right, I think the link between the DC & NGPC versions opened up new extras in the game, characters & stuff.
The Prisoner - Makes NGE's ending look almost intelligible.
theres no-one else to blame

Bored? figure out where the above lines from. Answers
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

Have the KOS guys or anyone else figured out how to use the link? Quake/Doom linked up might be fun.
AlexAtkinUK
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by AlexAtkinUK »

Actually I dont believe the NTSC version of Daytona USA does support the linkup as I tried it and it didnt work, neither did the Japanese one.

I have read that there was a special limited edition PAL version of the game that does linkup, either that or ONLY the PAL version does linkup, in order to make up for not doing online play. I never verified this as after buying the cable because it was supposed to play Daytona and trying two versions that didnt I wasnt willing to waste any more money.

If anyone wants a Dreamcast linkup cable (preferably in you are in the UK) then let me know, its useless to me as its too much hassle to make it a serial cable although I could do with one.