New system?

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
DuffMan
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

New system?

Post by DuffMan »

Has anyone heard if Sega is planning on making a new system in the future?
Dr Wily

Post by Dr Wily »

I heard they're never making another peiece of hardware ever again (with the possible exception of Arcade boards - but the state the Arcade 'scene' is in at the moment I wouldn't hold my breath there either) after being burnt so badly on the Saturn and DC...
DuffMan
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DuffMan »

It's wierd how Sega used to be one major competion, but now they don't make systems any more. Lets hope that Sega will :D
Dr Wily

Post by Dr Wily »

kind of....

Don't forget in the late '70s / early '80s Atari were *easily* the biggest games company in the world, bar none.

Next thing you know they're dumping millions of unsold games in a landfill in the desert...

Aaah, the fickle world of the Games industry... I still remember when Sony were known for nothing more than crappy Movie licenced platformers... that awful Dracula game anyone?
shawn27199
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

hmm

Post by shawn27199 »

well watch sega be playing us for a fool. letting us down only to build a totaly awesome machine in the future. above everyone else. and building the hype at the last second cause we believed there lie of no other system ever again. BUT I DOUBT THIS IS TRUE SO i shall miss there systems.
IUG-13

Post by IUG-13 »

I am just watching sega to say...

[quote=SEGA]Psyc! Just kidding everyone, we are still supporting the DC, were just screwwing arround with you all! Here you go, here is a US release of Shenmue 2![/quote]
Dr Wily

Post by Dr Wily »

Well, kind of off topic, in my copy of Headhunter theres a little pamphlet by SEGA saying the following games are "coming soon";
(but to be honest I'm not holding my breath for most of them)
Daytona USA 2001
Evil Twin: Cypriens Chronicles
Half-Life
Matt Hoffman Pro BMX
Propellorhead
Jet Set Radio 2
K-Project
Virtua Tennis 2
House Of The Dead 3
Space Channel 5 Part 2
Project Justice
The Mummy
Dragon Riders
Soul Reaver 2
Woody Woodpecker Extreme Racing
Commandos 2
Alone In The Dark 4
Planet Of The Apes
and a *whole* bunch more - I can only guess their market people took a long lunch when half of those were canned...
IUG-13

Post by IUG-13 »

[quote=Nyarlathotep]
Well, kind of off topic, in my copy of Headhunter theres a little pamphlet by SEGA saying the following games are "coming soon";
(but to be honest I'm not holding my breath for most of them)
Daytona USA 2001 OUT
Evil Twin: Cypriens Chronicles
Half-LifeCANCLED
Matt Hoffman Pro BMXOUT
Propellorhead
Jet Set Radio 2CANCLED
K-Project
Virtua Tennis 2OUT
House Of The Dead 3CANCLED
Space Channel 5 Part 2CANCLED
Project Justice
The Mummy
Dragon Riders
Soul Reaver 2CANCLED
Woody Woodpecker Extreme Racing
Commandos 2
Alone In The Dark 4OUT
Planet Of The Apes
and a *whole* bunch more - I can only guess their market people took a long lunch when half of those were canned...
[/quote]
Heliophobe_
Smeg Creator
Smeg Creator

Post by Heliophobe_ »

I would consider it an outside chance that Sega will return to the console world with a new system of their own, in a 'generation' or two.

Right now Sega suffers from some the stigma as a poor performing outsider, with two generations of systems having died young. Sega's hadn't been doing well financially on the model of developing only for their own systems (they do well creatively of course, but...).

Given their new policies of releasing for every platform, they'll go from having their games be well known only by Sega fans who by their platforms, to being known by anyone who buys video games. If they can keep up the level of game quality and get games into everyone's household, their public image could change enough over the next few years to make them system something that people feel they can trust.

Plus, as a 3rd party publisher only they'll probably start making money again. It costs a lot to develop and market a new system and they probably couldn't raise that kind of capital right now if they tried, but put a few years of commercial success under their belt...

I don't think this something that's likely to happen. If they ever return to being a hardware producer it will probably be a handheld, as there may be room in that market for a new system. The chances of a return to the settop console world really depend on market factors I couldn't predict, such as the successes and failures of the various systems of the current console generation.
Dr Wily

Post by Dr Wily »

hey IUg - *I* knew they were cancelled, I was pointing out a game released *last week* was still spreading this propaganda...

oh, FYI the ones you say are out?

They aren't in Europe... I'll be willing to bet Daytona USA never sees the light of day for starters...
DuffMan
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DuffMan »

One thing I like about SEGA is that they always come up with great names for their systems. Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast. They're all great!