How to mod .cdi with some patch files?

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
Turing-88
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

How to mod .cdi with some patch files?

Post by Turing-88 »

Hi all, first post :)

Apologies in advance if this information is here in the DCE forums or elsewhere, though I tried searching for this and nothing really came up.

Title is self-explanatory: I'm looking to modify Ives' PSOv2 EP .cdi with the GC Name Detection and Widescreen patches he's provided on PSO Palace. These patch files are both executables. I've never patched an image before and would like to know if anyone here has experience doing so? I can't for the life of me find any information on how to accomplish this.

Should note, I understand that there are dozens of patches available on the Sylverant server upon booting, however those patches only persist for as long as the Dreamcast remains on. I'd like the above-mentioned patches applied to my .cdi permanently :)

Another quick note, I'm running MODE and so don't require the resulting image burned to a CD. Just need to understand how to patch a .cdi!

Thank you so much in advance!
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Re: How to mod .cdi with some patch files?

Post by BlueCrab »

I believe Ives' patches are just executables that automatically patch the binary on the disc image for you. Run the executable and it should prompt you to pick your image and it'll do all the rest for you.
Turing-88
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Turing-88 »

Hey BlueCrab, thanks for the quick reply!
BlueCrab wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:15 pm executables that automatically patch the binary on the disc image
Right, so just run the exe's then. Do you know if I have to unpack the image into it's .bin components before running? Or should I just be able to run the exe's against the image itself? I would test this myself, but I'm running macOS at the moment and won't have access to a Windows machine for a few hours. Also don't really use Boot Camp or a wrapper- my macOS machine is ancient and could blow up from the resource use :lol:.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Pretty sure you don't have to unpack it at all. That said, I've never used them myself.

They should be able to run through Wine... and the Mac version of Wine still works on my mid 2010 MacBook Pro...
Turing-88
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Turing-88 »

Pretty sure you don't have to unpack it at all
Just tried this in Wine and it worked just as you said! Gonna crack open the DC and load this .cdi up :)

Thank you for your help! Truly appreciated.