Sonic Adventure New Year's 1998 "Kadomatsu" DLC

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
Moopthehedgehog
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Sonic Adventure New Year's 1998 "Kadomatsu" DLC

Post by Moopthehedgehog »

Hello again,

I came across something recently that appears to have been "lost to time" according to this: https://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_Adven ... ble_Events

I bought a used 4X memory card from Japan and it had the data on it. It looks like it's the "bug fixed" version, too, as the file on the card is dated as acquired on 1/3/1999 (that's January 3rd, to Europeans :wink:). It also has the XMAS event from 1998, which is oddly dated 12/1/1999--so I guess they re-released it?

Anyways, VMI+VMS files attached. New Year's "Kadomatsu" (aka "gate pine") event is SA1_001 (in NEW_YEARS_1998 folder), XMAS '98 is SA1_000 (in XMAS_1998 folder). I've confirmed they both work with the US version of Sonic Adventure, and I tested it with the All-Stars GD-ROM so it probably works on all of them. Interesting side knowledge: It also looks like the original Japanese game uses a save file called SONICADV_SYS, whereas every subsequent version uses SONICADV_INT.

If anyone wants, I can upload a zipped CDI of Dream Explorer with a bunch of USA/JPN/PAL Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 DLC stuff that I made a long time ago and updated with these new things. I think it might even be complete now? :grin:

There's a bunch of other Japanese stuff on this memory card that I'm in no hurry to wipe, so if there's anything else I should check for that's been "lost to time" I can see if it's there.
Attachments
SA1_1998_NY_XMAS_JPN_DLC.zip
VMI+VMS DLC Data
(78.57 KiB) Downloaded 1050 times
These users thanked the author Moopthehedgehog for the post (total 6):
|darc|ThePerfectKTheLegendOfXelaAnthony817Eviltaco64XSiZiOUS
I'm sure Aleron Ives feels weird with his postcount back to <10668
:D
ThePerfectK
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Re: Sonic Adventure New Year's 1998 "Kadomatsu" DLC

Post by ThePerfectK »

You're kicking all sorts of ass here lately, moop!
Still Thinking!~~
TheLegendOfXela
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
Been thanked: 0

Post by TheLegendOfXela »

Made an account just to say: thank you so much!! This is incredible!!
Anthony817
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Anthony817 »

This is great news thanks!
mrneo240
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by mrneo240 »

Moopthehedgehog wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:01 pm Hello again,

I came across something recently that appears to have been "lost to time" according to this: https://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_Adven ... ble_Events

I bought a used 4X memory card from Japan and it had the data on it. It looks like it's the "bug fixed" version, too, as the file on the card is dated as acquired on 1/3/1999 (that's January 3rd, to Europeans :wink:). It also has the XMAS event from 1998, which is oddly dated 12/1/1999--so I guess they re-released it?

Anyways, VMI+VMS files attached. New Year's "Kadomatsu" (aka "gate pine") event is SA1_001 (in NEW_YEARS_1998 folder), XMAS '98 is SA1_000 (in XMAS_1998 folder). I've confirmed they both work with the US version of Sonic Adventure, and I tested it with the All-Stars GD-ROM so it probably works on all of them. Interesting side knowledge: It also looks like the original Japanese game uses a save file called SONICADV_SYS, whereas every subsequent version uses SONICADV_INT.

If anyone wants, I can upload a zipped CDI of Dream Explorer with a bunch of USA/JPN/PAL Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 DLC stuff that I made a long time ago and updated with these new things. I think it might even be complete now? :grin:

There's a bunch of other Japanese stuff on this memory card that I'm in no hurry to wipe, so if there's anything else I should check for that's been "lost to time" I can see if it's there.
Can I host on my website?
ThePerfectK
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by ThePerfectK »

mrneo240 wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:37 pm

It's being mirrored on Sonic Retro already.
Still Thinking!~~
Moopthehedgehog
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

ThePerfectK wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:19 pm
Moopthehedgehog wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:01 pm
-- snip --
It wouldn't be my call anyways, technically speaking. :wink:
mrneo240
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by mrneo240 »

ThePerfectK wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:19 pm

Can Sega retro handle uploading saves from Dreamcast?
Moopthehedgehog
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Hmm... Looks like it's here:
https://www.dreamcastlive.net/sonic-adventure-dlc.html
The VMI file isn't the one I made, though. Maybe they've had it this whole time and no one knew? More interestingly, is it the "bug fixed" version?
Whatever bug(s) got fixed I have no idea, but the version I uploaded is definitely date stamped with a download date of a couple days after the "bug fix" supposedly occurred.

In any event, I believe the full complement of SA1 DLC is now available online. Hurray!
mrneo240
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by mrneo240 »

Vmi doesn't really have to exist. It's very simple meta that can easily be recreated.
Moopthehedgehog
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Well, this answers that question.
https://www.reddit.com/r/dreamcast/comm ... een_found/
Lol

Also explains the influx of several hundred downloads over the course of a couple days. :mrgreen:
TheLegendOfXela
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by TheLegendOfXela »

The DreamcastLive website had the DLC listed for a while, but only in preparation for an eventual download to be available!
You are 100% the first person to bring the DLC to the limelight.

IIRC, the bug made it so you couldn't finish the Knuckles story.
Moopthehedgehog
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Neat! Glad I could contribute. Like I mentioned in the first post, if there's anything else I should check for on that memory card (it's an official 4X card) please let me know. I'm not in any hurry to wipe it or anything and there's a fair bit of data on it. Although I suppose I could just make a full dump of it (after deleting some broadband passport files, which may or may not have the prior owner's passwords still in them. Haven't checked, lol)...
Maxi
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
Has thanked: 0

Post by Maxi »

Gente falta 1 solo dlc que estuvo por 2 dias de la revista famitsu de japon que era un minijuego de atrapar a sonic y en youtube hay un usuario que lo tiene y el video fue de hace 10 años pero no hay link de descarga asi que faltaria ese dlc y listo creo que estaria lo demas
Moopthehedgehog
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

What, this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaDA5ItjU7Y
We already have that one!

(Thank you Google Translate, lol)
spinksy
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by spinksy »

If possible I'd love a cdi file of the vmu explorer with all sonic dlc (especially this) on please 🙏
Dreamcast, it's still thinking.

Over-clocked : Dreamcast currently running at 240Mhz (switchable)

Internal VGA, extra cooling fans, disc activity LED, SD card reader done :-)

Dreamcast HD wanted
Moopthehedgehog
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Hello

I was never able to get ahold of speud to get permission to do so, and the license on the blueswirl site says explicit permission is required to post anything from that site elsewhere, so unfortunately I am not at liberty to post it. However, blueswirl contains instructions on how to make one, and the files are hosted on DreamcastLive.

I am sorry about that. :(
These users thanked the author Moopthehedgehog for the post:
Protofall