Dreamcast Save Editing

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
Play2win80
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Dreamcast Save Editing

Post by Play2win80 »

Hello! I need some help editing a save for Dreamcast’s Timestalkers- I’m trying to “hack” out some items and unlock other things if possible.

I have the save copied to a hard drive but beyond that, I know very little about programming or hex editing, so I’d be willing to compensate someone if they could help with this.

Please let me know if you have any questions, and thank you in advance for any help!
mrneo240
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Re: Dreamcast Save Editing

Post by mrneo240 »

Make a bunch of saves with slightly different stuff. Then compare and narrow down.

Or look up data fuzzing and use that.
Play2win80
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Play2win80 »

I appreciate the reply but I probably don’t have a technical skills to pull either of those off. I’d be willing to hire someone to do it though. Also, someone did find some game shark CDX codes in another forum that would be a good starting point
RyoDC
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu
Been thanked: 0

Post by RyoDC »

Actually you touched a very complicated topic.

What you're asking is the crosssection of knowledge in different domains - reverse engineering (mainly), programming, well, yep ,that's it.

I suggest you to start from basic things, learn some basic programming, some basic Computer science, and slowly get into theme.

In general, there' differnet methodics to do this, games use complex serialization protocols, people use software like IDA pro or other debugger\dissasembler tool to get inside the software and learn what it's doing exactly.

The simplest approach is mentioned by @mrneo240, you just change something in a game, modify it's state by some infitestimal small change, and then compare the resulting save files. That's how you learn what's changed and where. But it's long and error prone job.

I suggest you to start googling some basic tutorials on programming and dissasembling, and by that start to slowly dive into the topic. Don't overload, just step-by-step. It's an interesting way to learn things actually, my interest was the same when I was 11 or 13 of age.

I wish you luck!
How do I try to build a Dreamcast toolchain:
Play2win80
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Play2win80 »

I appreciate the reply! Although I would love to acquire this knowledge, working 15 hour workdays really limits the time I have to learn new skills such as these.

My hope is that I could basically hire someone who already has those knowledge and skills to complete this one time project. We already have a list of codes which appears to trigger certain item changes in the game.

For working codes or a hack which provides the missing items, I could pay a flat fee or hourly fee depending on the agreement.

Take care.
mrneo240
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by mrneo240 »

for what it would cost to hire me, you'd be better off doing it yourself.
Play2win80
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Play2win80 »

About how much would it cost, ballpark? Thanks
mrneo240
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by mrneo240 »

$30/hr
Play2win80
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Play2win80 »

Ok. Do you have a ballpark estimate of how many hours would be involved? Thank you.
Play2win80
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Play2win80 »

PM sent
Play2win80
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Play2win80 »

mrneo240 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:08 am$30/hr
Hi- Per below, I think we're good with moving forward. When is the soonest you can start? I can send you the save and explain exactly what we need modified. Thank you.
Play2win80
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Play2win80 »

Hello! Just following up to see if anyone would be interested in taking on this assignment. I haven’t made any progress with the project but I’m still willing to hire a game hacker to edit the saved file to find missing items and/or fix the last NPC story arc. Thank you!
YZB
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie
Has thanked: 0

Post by YZB »

Please tell me in detail how it needs to be modified and how to fix it. I don’t understand this game.
Play2win80
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Play2win80 »

Basically I just need my save file edited to include the missing items, which includes some regular items and legendary items. It looks like it can be done with hex editing but this stuff is way over my head.

If possible, I’d also like the save file edited to also complete a story arc which apparently not possible to complete again due to the programming bugs. The story arcs are listed in the character list section of the options screen. They turn yellow when they are completed – I’ll ask a completed except for “Ayame”, I believe

Please let me know if you need any additional information! Thank you for your interest. Please take care.
YZB
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by YZB »

My English is terrible, I use Google Translate, I don’t understand what you mean
You mean, modify the game save to correct specific items, specific events?

If possible, please send a game save and picture description
Play2win80
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Play2win80 »

Certainly- I just sent you a PM with the files attached and a brief explanation. Thank you!!
YZB
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by YZB »

I don't see any documents or pictures. Where are they?
Play2win80
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Play2win80 »

I’m sorry- thought I added all these files to my private message but if I look in my sent folder, it looks like nothing was attached. Could you PM me your email and I’ll send them to you that way? Thank you!
Play2win80
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Play2win80 »

Hello– just an update for the thread. Over the past couple of weeks, YZB successfully edited my save file for DC Timestalkers to include all of the missing items and other missing information. YZB was professional, prompt, charged very fair prices, and just was an absolute pleasure to work with from beginning to end. If you need help with this game, or any other Dreamcast game, I can’t speak his praises highly enough, and I know I could’ve never done it without him. Thanks to YZB, I have finally completed Timestalkers after five years!
These users thanked the author Play2win80 for the post:
|darc|
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Really happy you were able to get what you need.
I'm curious how much you paid?

I also compliment your persistence. It took you 2 years to find someone.
Wow! I booted landstalkers once or twice. Did not return to that game... I was coming in after playing Skies and Grandia 2. The game was not for me.
These users thanked the author cube_b3 for the post:
Play2win80