Sakura Wars 1 import on US Dreamcast

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
newwavebossanova
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Sakura Wars 1 import on US Dreamcast

Post by newwavebossanova »

New guy here but I'm going hard-in on Sakura Wars and I am getting obsessed with the series despite not having played a single game yet.

So I bought the SW Dreamcast games off ebay and some got here as early as Tuesday. I never have time during the week so tonight was supposed to be the glorious magical night where I boot up Sakura Wars 1 on my pre-2000 US Dreamcast. But woe is me, it doesn't boot!

I tried Utopia 1.1, then I read it isn't good for imports. So I scrambled around looking for anything. I read about DC-X and Gameshark Lite, so I download a DC-X ISO not knowing if an iso would actually work for a boot disc. It looked like it sorta worked, I get this screen with a disc symbol that changes when I open the lid, but I couldn't get anything to boot when swapping in any of the game discs.

Then I read how the Sylverant PSO patcher disc can boot imports. It sounded like a godsend instead of having to buy yet another disc and waiting another week to play anything. I try it out and the DC is reading the disc like it's about to start up but then it unceremoniously dumps me out to the Dreamcast menu. I try a few more times but with the same result. I try Disc 2 and it dumps out all the same.

Then I try the SW1 Omake disc instead and it boots! I try all three SW3 discs and they all boot! I've been looking forward to this all week and it's frustrating to see something like this happen.

The only thing I have to go on is this thread saying some SW copies don't work on US Dreamcasts. I don't know if that meant specific versions (1.00 vs 1.01), or the games (SW3 works, SW1 doesn't).
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19535

Can someone explain what's happening?
What are my options in trying to play this? Some special trick with the PSO patcher? Do I need to buy a gameshark or real CD-X disc?
I'm desperately considering buying a Japanese Dreamcast if that's what it takes.

Thank you so much in advance.
Sultan of Saturn
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Sakura Wars 1 import on US Dreamcast

Post by Sultan of Saturn »

I got the Gameshark CDX back in the days, and I had no problem with any imports whatsoever. However, due to the age of the system, you might keep your eyes open on a Japanese Dreamcast and save yourself the trouble.
Formerly Known As "Chalavet".....