dc-tool | Download a Game from my Dreamcast

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
EnigmaticCoder
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

dc-tool | Download a Game from my Dreamcast

Post by EnigmaticCoder »

I've been given the opportunity to write documentation for lxdream (the emulator), so I need to download a rom from my Dreamcast to my computer. I have a BBA and dc-tool, but I can't seem to download a game successfully. This command downloaded a file, but it didn't work with the emulator:

$ ./dc-tool -t 192.168.1.8 -d chuchurocket.rom -s 1000000

The terminal outputted this:

Download 1000000 bytes at <0x8c010000> to <chuchurocket.rom>
error: Invalid argument
Received 1000000 bytes
transferred at 30071.444640 bytes / sec

I think the problem is that I didn't have the right size. I arbitrarily put 1000000 bytes. I don't know if this is too large or too small, but I suspect that it's the source of my problem.

What size should I use to download a rom? Am I downloading the rom correctly? Is there another way I can download a rom (I won't download it illegally off the net)?
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Re: dc-tool | Download a Game from my Dreamcast

Post by Quzar »

dc-tool does not have that functionality. The 'download' it has is memory mapped addresses, not reading from a disc. Please search through these forums for some information about what a rom is, what a GD-ROM disc is, and how to 'dump' a disc image. To get you started a 'rom' file is one that replicates the contents of a rom chip and is not used to refer to the contents of optical media (because they're almost never treated in the same way and it wouldn't be productive to store it that way).
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
PH3NOM
DC Developer
DC Developer
Has thanked: 0

Post by PH3NOM »

lolz Quazar thanks for the clarification, I thought he was asking something else at first.

EnigmaticCoder, the question you are looking for the answer to is actually "How do I dump a GD-Rom"
and these forums here are not intended for sharing knowledge on copying commercial games.
Last edited by BlueCrab on Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removing link....
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

And.... Being that discussion about dumping games is still technically against the rules here...
TOPIC LOCKED