Noise Cancelling Headphones

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Specially Cork
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Noise Cancelling Headphones

Post by Specially Cork »

How well would such headphones work versus a cinema's sound system? I want to go watch Avatar at the 3D cinema, but it's obviously dubbed in Chinese so I was thinking about putting the english audio on my iPod* then playing it while I watch the movie. I know it sounds like a dumb idea but it's either that or just not see the movie the way it is supposed to be watched.

*would this qualify as "fair use"? :lol:
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Noise Cancelling Headphones

Post by MulletMan13 »

The active sound cancellation would do VERY little to block out the sound coming in. Your best bet would be to get isolation earbuds that completely block the outside noise.

Let us know how it turns out if you do this :)
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Eviltaco64X »

It could work, but the hard part would be properly syncing it with the movie.
sixteen-bit
Hardware Freak
Hardware Freak
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by sixteen-bit »

MulletMan13 wrote:The active sound cancellation would do VERY little to block out the sound coming in. Your best bet would be to get isolation earbuds that completely block the outside noise.
Aye, you might actually get away with this if you use a decent pair of in-ear buds.
I know nothing about cinema in China but is there no way to see this movie subtitled or otherwise in English? There's a fair bit of alien dialogue in the film. That's only gonna be subtitled in Chinese, isn't it?
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

sixteen-bit wrote:
MulletMan13 wrote:The active sound cancellation would do VERY little to block out the sound coming in. Your best bet would be to get isolation earbuds that completely block the outside noise.
Aye, you might actually get away with this if you use a decent pair of in-ear buds.
I know nothing about cinema in China but is there no way to see this movie subtitled or otherwise in English? There's a fair bit of alien dialogue in the film. That's only gonna be subtitled in Chinese, isn't it?
Yeah I know about this and there's no real way around it. In a small city like mine your only option is dubbed. It's a miracle they have a 3D cinema in the first place to be honest. Beijing is just 2 hours away and they have it in english with Chinese subtitles, but those subtitles would obviously cover the alien dialog too. I guess my wife can translate. I'll probably watch it this week in one city or the other.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

It took me a couple of minutes to sync it up but it ended up working out quite well. The cinema wasn't exactly loud in the first place, it just had the bass cranked for explosions and stuff. It also had the added advantage of blocking out other noises in the cinema. Chinese people apparently don't watch movies in silence, they discuss what's going on. They also don't turn their phones off - in fact, they actually take calls during the movie.