Problem installing Windows 7

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Problem installing Windows 7

Post by Luriden »

I'm trying to install Windows 7 retail on my PC. I was running beta before but now I want to be on the real thing before it expires. I formatted my computer, tried to install from scratch and I my monitor shows this when it gets to "Completing Installation" and freezes up:

If I restart my computer, it comes back saying installation didn't complete successfully and I'll need to restart the installation.

Any tips? I still have my Vista disc and I could always install Vista again and put Windows 7 over it, but I hear it's best to start a Windows 7 installation from scratch.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Re: Problem installing Windows 7

Post by Skynet »

Looks like a C64 loading screen. :o

Sorry, I cannot help
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

I installed Vista and tried to upgrade from that. Once again, everything went well, it restarted, then got to the finishing process and got to that screen. I'm stumped. I remember having this problem with an early beta copy, but the RC worked fine and that's what I was using up until now. I'm using the latest build of the disc, untouched (it is an ISO but I plan on using a legit key with it).

Guess I'm sticking with Vista for awhile. :x
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

Luriden wrote:I installed Vista and tried to upgrade from that. Once again, everything went well, it restarted, then got to the finishing process and got to that screen. I'm stumped. I remember having this problem with an early beta copy, but the RC worked fine and that's what I was using up until now. I'm using the latest build of the disc, untouched (it is an ISO but I plan on using a legit key with it).

Might be a read issue with your disc. Either get a legitimate copy or use better media.
Mattiethomas
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Mattiethomas »

Try a different drive.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

pixel wrote:
Luriden wrote:I installed Vista and tried to upgrade from that. Once again, everything went well, it restarted, then got to the finishing process and got to that screen. I'm stumped. I remember having this problem with an early beta copy, but the RC worked fine and that's what I was using up until now. I'm using the latest build of the disc, untouched (it is an ISO but I plan on using a legit key with it).

Might be a read issue with your disc. Either get a legitimate copy or use better media.
I've tried Memorex and Maxell and both do the same thing. I'd think if it was a media error, it wouldn't have even gotten that far.

As far as a drive goes, the one I have is all I've got. I'll just stick with Vista. I'm considering getting a laptop in the future and giving my desktop to a family member so it'll work till then.
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

Post by Zealous zerotype »

Just for shits and giggels with vista get this usb utility (I will find and link it if you actually want to do it and google ends up weak) that will let you install windows 7 from a thumbdrive. You can make sure it is not a weird disc error then.
SCO=SCUM=M$=SCO it keeps repeating :P
i'm a randite :worship:
DYTDMFBSB?
There must have been some mistake
I'm not the one who should be saved
My divinity has been denied
Mary and me were both fucked by God
Code-Red
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Code-Red »

A buddy of mine was having issues installing 7 as well. There are a lot of RAM-related problems.

If you've got two sticks, or four gigs, remove one stick/leave 2GB and install 7. After installation and a clean and smooth start up, install the rest of the ram.

Try it out, let me know what happens.
AuroEdge
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by AuroEdge »

Code-Red wrote:A buddy of mine was having issues installing 7 as well. There are a lot of RAM-related problems.

If you've got two sticks, or four gigs, remove one stick/leave 2GB and install 7. After installation and a clean and smooth start up, install the rest of the ram.

Try it out, let me know what happens.
My first instinct was bad RAM. Typically the process of booting up a DVD and copying files to your HardDrive will work with bad RAM present. After your PC reboots and starts the setup process that's where stuff like this happens. I'm actually having the same issue right now (memory controller woes).

Solution: Try reseating the RAM and run MemTest. If that passes several times, boot up DOS and run Prime95 for at least a few hours. Could be an issue between your processor and RAMage or worse.
"The only difference between the Democrats and the Republicans is
that the Democrats allow the poor to be corrupt, too." -Oscar Levant
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

Honestly I'm just gonna wait till I can get a new computer. I've already got Vista up and running with the programs I want, I really don't want to delete it all just to see if I can get Windows 7 running again.
tekkaman1
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by tekkaman1 »

Windows 7 still have certain video bugs on some computers. I installed it on a client computer once and it had this weird resolution. It had a very wide screen resolution when the monitor was 4:3 and you couldn't see half the screen because of it. To fix it I had to press F8 while booting and select VGA Mode ( I don't know if it has the same name as XP) When I did that it booted in a viewable resolution. I went to screen resolution and found out that Win 7 was thinking I had 2 monitors plugged in when there was only one so it was splitting the resolution for 2 monitors. I disabled one and select 1024x768 then rebooted and the problem was solved.

Your problem seems to be a video problem as well. Is your videocard compatible with win 7 ?
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

I dunno, the Mac OS X 10.6 disc installed fine on my MacBook Pro so maybe you should try buying a good computer like an Apple?
It's thinking...
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

tekkaman1 wrote:Your problem seems to be a video problem as well. Is your videocard compatible with win 7 ?
I'm fairly certain it is. I used the beta for several months. Plus, it freezes during the installation process before it even makes it to the OS. If I restart my computer and try to go straight to the OS, it loads up the Windows 7 background and a notification pops up saying installation didn't complete successfully. If it was incompatible with the video card I don't think it would have actually shown me that.
AuroEdge
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by AuroEdge »

Have you tested the RAM and Processor? Kind of a big deal. What's the video situation on this PC? Is it onboard or an expansion card? What model?
"The only difference between the Democrats and the Republicans is
that the Democrats allow the poor to be corrupt, too." -Oscar Levant
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

I got it installed properly finally. I unplugged my TV Tuner card (the only external card plugged in, everything else is onboard) and removed all USB devices. Works like a charm now. I plugged everything back in after it finished installing and everything works as it should.