New TV suggestions

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Yonke
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

New TV suggestions

Post by Yonke »

I need some advice guys.

Im having in mind buying a new 50 inch tv for my mom on x-mas, im on a budget off 800 dlls or little bit more.

Here where i live we use analog cable so mostly the tv will be used for SD content... im looking for a plasma tv because are cheaper and respond time its a lot faster than lcd 60hz
(also i havent found a lcd tv whit good sd display)... yes im a little bit worried about screen burn but i know new plasmas come whit new technology (pixel orbiter) so in theory it should not be a big problem as before rigth????? (i will love to do some old school gaming on a big screen without getting worried)...

The only 2 tvs i have in mind are these 2

LG 50PQ30 50-Inch 720p Plasma HDTV

http://www.amazon.com/LG-50PQ30-50-Inch ... roduct_top

Samsung PN50B450 50-Inch 720p Plasma HDTV

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-PN50B450- ... 650&sr=1-1

rigth now i like more the LG......

suggestion please before i go mad................
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Re: New TV suggestions

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Typically speaking, LCD TVs (especially cheap ones) perform very poorly with SD content. However, one thing to bear in mind with plasma is that while the TV itself will be less expensive, it will cost more in electricity; those things can be real power hogs.

As a rule of thumb, I would always recommend a Samsung over an LG.

However, you may find this Gizmodo guide helpful:

The 5 Best HDTV Deals Under $1000 <-- click it.
Yonke
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Yonke »

DaMadFiddler wrote: However, one thing to bear in mind with plasma is that while the TV itself will be less expensive, it will cost more in electricity; those things can be real power hogs.
thanxs im gonna check the link........

if we compare plasma & old tube television, old tube television uses more energy rigth?......
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Old tubes use maybe 1/5th in comparison, barely more than two light bulbs if I am not mistaken.

And yeah, SD content looks horrible on modern TVs. 480p content however looks awesome if fed via component, VGA or HDMI, so if she's watching lots of DVDs or if there's a way to get her supplied with ATSC (if that's what I think it is, we got DVB-T and DVB-S in Europe) it still might be worth it.
Insane homebrew collector.
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

I've had that Samsung television for the last year, and could not reccommend it more. The black levels/colors are fantastic, and it doesn't emit too much heat. I don't pay for electricity (thank god), but at my old place it didn't seem like my bills were too high. I haven't found burn-in to be a problem at all, and I play a ton of Call of Duty online (with symbols and maps in every corner for long periods of time). I was in the same boat last year, and just went with the Sammy because it was cheaper, and had very positive reviews.

Also, check out the awesome site http://www.slickdeals.net.

I've seen that Sammy go for as low as $600 shipped.
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Another thought: if you're going to be using more SD content than HD content, you may want to check and see if any of the stores around you still have any rear projection TVs for sale. I know the Best Buy in my town has a couple of old stock Samsung 61" 1080p TVs for $900 each, and a couple of 65" Mitsubishi models for just a little bit more.

They've all but disappeared from the market because they take up more space, but they tend to handle SD content better. You can also get a larger screen size for cheaper than LCD *or* plasma, and they use less power than either one (and typically have better speakers, since there's more room in the cabinet for bigger drivers).

However, the trade-offs are that a rear projection TV takes up a lot more space, doesn't have as good off-angle viewing (things get darker if you look at the screen from too much of an angle), and there is a little bit of overscan.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

DaMadFiddler wrote:They've all but disappeared from the market because they take up more space, but they tend to handle SD content better. You can also get a larger screen size for cheaper than LCD *or* plasma, and they use less power than either one (and typically have better speakers, since there's more room in the cabinet for bigger drivers).

However, the trade-offs are that a rear projection TV takes up a lot more space, doesn't have as good off-angle viewing (things get darker if you look at the screen from too much of an angle), and there is a little bit of overscan.
I (and my 73in Mitsubshi rear projection) can attest to all of the above. With the exception of some super-high quality models, SD content benefits from the lack of pixel-perfect reproduction.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Yonke
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Yonke »

DaMadFiddler wrote:Another thought: if you're going to be using more SD content than HD content, you may want to check and see if any of the stores around you still have any rear projection TVs for sale. I know the Best Buy in my town has a couple of old stock Samsung 61" 1080p TVs for $900 each, and a couple of 65" Mitsubishi models for just a little bit more.

They've all but disappeared from the market because they take up more space, but they tend to handle SD content better. You can also get a larger screen size for cheaper than LCD *or* plasma, and they use less power than either one (and typically have better speakers, since there's more room in the cabinet for bigger drivers).

Space is important and Mom want to leap to plasma or lcd ,a friend of mine have a rear projector and is great also its easy to change the bulb in case its stop working. Rigth now im doing math if i buy the tv in USA or Mexico (Costco Mexico) , if i get it in USA i have to pay tax at the Mexican Custom and is 15% of the cost of the TV, i could try to sneak it to Mexico but is to big to not be notice by the Customs......damn i hate those guys.....
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

One possible solution would be to order it online (where you typically find better prices anyway) and have it shipped directly to her.
Yonke
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Yonke »

DaMadFiddler wrote:One possible solution would be to order it online (where you typically find better prices anyway) and have it shipped directly to her.
Mexican postal service i really bad and expensive and still have to pay the customs taxes... i was checking prices here and prices are not that bad..
Yonke
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Yonke »

after reading this, im less worried about screen burn...

http://gizmodo.com/5416610/the-truth-ab ... en-burn+in