Waves hand - "You don't want me to take off my hood".

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
U-said-it
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Waves hand - "You don't want me to take off my hood".

Post by U-said-it »

The founder of the Jedi religion inspired by the Star Wars films was thrown out of a Tesco supermarket for wearing his distinctive brown hood.
Daniel Jones, 23, who has 500,000 followers worldwide, was told the hood flouted store rules and was ordered to remove it or leave the supermarket.
As a result Jones, who also goes by the Jedi name Morda Hehol, claims he has been 'victimised over his beliefs' and left 'emotionally humiliated' by the supermarket in Bangor, North Wales.

Hooded Daniel Jones (right) with his brother Barney at a meeting of their Jedi church in Holyhead, North Wales

But Tesco hit back in the spirit of the epic space saga and claimed that the three most well known Jedi Knights in the Star Wars movies - Yoda, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Luke Skywalker - all appeared in public without their hoods.

--Full Article--
ImageImage
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Re: Waves hand - "You don't want me to take off my hood".

Post by Ex-Cyber »

I guess the question is whether they'd treat all religions equally, or just apply their rules to ones they consider to be "fake".
But Tesco hit back in the spirit of the epic space saga and claimed that the three most well known Jedi Knights in the Star Wars movies - Yoda, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Luke Skywalker - all appeared in public without their hoods.
A religious order imposed rules that are contradicted by canon? I'm positively shocked.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

Is that the star wars trek or the star trek wars?
*The Cadillac of signatures*
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

I don't know about Wales, but in the US stores can have dress codes. If religions violate them, too bad, they have to conform or not enter the store.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Lartrak wrote:I don't know about Wales, but in the US stores can have dress codes. If religions violate them, too bad, they have to conform or not enter the store.
I can imagine someone caring though if it had been a Muslim woman, Jewish or Sikh man being asked to remove their head coverings or leave the store. Especially with the snarky remark released to excuse it. "Well if you pay close attention to the *insert religious text here*, you don't actually have to wear that."
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Chilly Willy
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Chilly Willy »

I imagine they were more worried about shoplifting than anything else - a group of young men who are probably kinda disheveled and grungy come in with hoods up... what else are they to think but "shoplifters!" They asked them to put the hoods down so that if/when they did shoplift, the cameras got good images of their faces for their trials.
bloodite
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by bloodite »

Wasnt it the U.K. that has a problem with hoods to begin with? Im sure Ive read that having hoods on outside in certain places there was illegal for the same security reasons, absurd. This would only be a mental extension of that law. people tend to mimic what their athorities do and vice versa. even without a reason they would just adopt the stance figureing the old "if its good enough for them..." theory.