PS3 Slim sales trounce Xbox 360 and Wii 3-to-1

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
U-said-it
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

PS3 Slim sales trounce Xbox 360 and Wii 3-to-1

Post by U-said-it »

Not one week into its UK sales debut, Sony’s re-imagined, slim-sized PlayStation 3 is already enjoying massive sales, up nearly 1000 percent over the prior week. The UK and Denmark market-researcher Chart-Track, which reported that figure, told biz watcher MCV “the sales increase is very impressive,” adding that the PS3 outsold the Xbox 360 as well as both the Wii and DS Lite by a striking three-to-one ratio.
-Full Article-

Maybe someone should put up a poll as to what current gen systems the members here own?

I personally only play new games on my fairly powerful PC these days, and I don't even have a current gen console.
ImageImage
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Re: PS3 Slim sales trounce Xbox 360 and Wii 3-to-1

Post by Lartrak »

I own a Wii and a Japanese 360 which a friend gave me. For whatever reason, I'm not getting much playtime out of either lately - or my PC. I just haven't been playing many games period. The last time I was playing a lot of games, it was all retro stuff - SNES, NES, Genesis and Atari 2600.

There are games on the horizon I'm interested in (on the Wii, Red Steel 2 and Super Mario Galaxy 2), and I've been meaning to give both the new Ghostbusters and Arkham Asylum plays through, but I have other stuff I'm working on at the moment.

As far as the slim PS3.. The new price point makes me interested. I also know eventually I'll get a Blu-Ray player, and the PS3 is pretty much the best one in its price range. I also feel it is a more solid console from a hardware point of view... Whenever I'm playing on my 360, it always feels like the thing is going to fall apart on me, and I see a lot more graphical glitches on it than on PS3 games. PS3 also has built in wifi, which is nice both because I don't have a good setup to do it wired and don't play online enough to justify buying an adapter thing. Not to mention, I don't play 360 games online enough to pay for Live Gold.

The only PS3 exclusive I would buy is Metal Gear Solid 4, though.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Kevin Beckman
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Kevin Beckman »

So far estimates put it at over 500K worldwide. Quite impressive. In Japan it doubled the next highest week in sales.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

I would really love to get one for maybe the RPG genre, but for anything else... the controller is completely incompatible with me. Especially with first person shooters.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

I've got a Wii, a PS3, and a DS... though the Wii hasn't been getting much use as of late, and the DS' job has been completely usurped by my iPod Touch. I've been using the PS3 a fair amount, but I bought a 60GB model and it spends almost as much time playing PS2 games as PS3 games... and it spends far more time playing DVDs and Blu-Ray discs than it does playing games. I bought it as much as a set-top box as I did a game system.
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Eviltaco64X »

Perhaps this is the turning point?
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

DaMadFiddler wrote:I've got a Wii, a PS3, and a DS... though the Wii hasn't been getting much use as of late, and the DS' job has been completely usurped by my iPod Touch. I've been using the PS3 a fair amount, but I bought a 60GB model and it spends almost as much time playing PS2 games as PS3 games... and it spends far more time playing DVDs and Blu-Ray discs than it does playing games. I bought it as much as a set-top box as I did a game system.
Did you mostly use your DS for real quick brief gaming sessions? Just curious, since long form and more traditional games seem very poorly represented on the iPod Touch.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

I don't blame ps3 winning in sales now, as far as hardware goes it really is the better value. The elite being at the same price point of the ps3 is a joke, especially since they dropped the HDMI and Component cables.

Though as far as the PS3 goes, there are just no games on it that interest me sadly. All the multiplatform games I want I'll pick up for 360, and I know all my friends will too. I don't see the PS3 making a killing in software yet though.

When I finally decide to pick up a bluray player, which will probably be after I buy myself a 2nd HDTV, I'll get myself a PS3. But that will be quite awhile for me, as I wont be buying another HDTV for a lllooonnnngggg time. So i'll probably see another price drop within that time. I wish slim or any other model that comes out after this would play ps2 games though. As thats a whole set of gaming I missed out on due to sony always charging a lot for a system that is about ten years old.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

It's pretty good value now - especially when you consider it's a Blu-Ray player as well. The inclusion seemed quite crazy a couple of years ago - but now there's an obvious demand for it. It's just lacking the exclusive games. Sony could relax and expect exclusives to arrive with their previous 2 consoles, but it's a different market now and money needs to be spent. Thing is, it doesn't look like 360 or Wii have got a whole lot of AAA exclusives on the horizon either. Wouldn't suprise me if the balance changes a little in the run-up to Christmas.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Lartrak wrote:
DaMadFiddler wrote:I've got a Wii, a PS3, and a DS... though the Wii hasn't been getting much use as of late, and the DS' job has been completely usurped by my iPod Touch. I've been using the PS3 a fair amount, but I bought a 60GB model and it spends almost as much time playing PS2 games as PS3 games... and it spends far more time playing DVDs and Blu-Ray discs than it does playing games. I bought it as much as a set-top box as I did a game system.
Did you mostly use your DS for real quick brief gaming sessions? Just curious, since long form and more traditional games seem very poorly represented on the iPod Touch.
I did play things like Mario and Castlevania... but they seem to have run the Metroidvania formula dry (Portrait of Ruin was mediocre, and the most recent game had a neat combat system but really awful level design), Metroid's controls were cramp-inducing, and the Zelda was so repetitive and backtrack-heavy that I never got more than halfway through it.

The games I played the most on my DS (aside from ports and sequels of old SNES/Genesis/arcade games, which the Wii is much better for) were things like Tetris, Rhythm Heaven, MarioKart, Elite Beat Agents, Worms, Bust-a-Move, and other quick pick-up-and-play sorts of games while I'm waiting for something. For the most part, my girlfriend has taken over the DS for RPGs.

I think I've finally reached the burn-out point for Nintendo's franchises. I still appreciate new Mario, Zelda, etc. games, but there is a distinctive "been there, done that" quality that's never really bothered me until now. I just really don't feel that compelled to seek out new entries in the series.
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

I think I've finally reached the burn-out point for Nintendo's franchises. I still appreciate new Mario, Zelda, etc. games, but there is a distinctive "been there, done that" quality that's never really bothered me until now. I just really don't feel that compelled to seek out new entries in the series.
I have a DSlite and a flash card. I have yet to beat one game on my DS. I know exactly how you feel.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

BoneyCork wrote:It's pretty good value now - especially when you consider it's a Blu-Ray player as well. The inclusion seemed quite crazy a couple of years ago - but now there's an obvious demand for it. It's just lacking the exclusive games.
PS3 actually has a lot of exclusives (arguably more than 360, depending on which sources you trust and how you define "exclusive"), but they seem to be in 360's shadow for any given genre.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
U-said-it
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by U-said-it »

Well I went out and picked up a 120 GB PS3 last night.

All I've tested so far is the video formats it can play out of the box, and I'd say it's pretty good.

I tested MPEG, M2V, MP4, AVI (DivX, Xvid), and VOB. They all played perfectly straight off my USB stick.
ImageImage
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

Not surprised, because 90% of gamers own either a Wii or a 360 or both already.

I can't honestly see the PS3 ever really gaining much momentum now, we're already pretty far into this generation and any PS3 games worth owning are also available on the 360- which is significantly cheaper.

The biggest problem I think is the PS3 doesn't have an identity; Wii has it's family/party gaming, 360 is for hardcore/online gamers... PS3 is... a... blu ray player?
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Once FF13 went multiplatform the PS3 lost all its exclusive appeal to me. The only reason I bought one is the 360 seemed far too risky considering I'm living in China.
U-said-it
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by U-said-it »

not just souLLy now wrote:PS3 is... a... blu ray player?
One of the reason I went ahead and got it. I now have a dvd, blu ray, streaming media content, and a variety of popular video file formats player, all for 299.99 + tax.

I think I'll enjoy MGS 4 as well.
ImageImage
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

not just souLLy now wrote:I can't honestly see the PS3 ever really gaining much momentum now, we're already pretty far into this generation and any PS3 games worth owning are also available on the 360- which is significantly cheaper.
Tastes differ. A lot of people thought that MGS4, Motorstorm, Uncharted, GT5 Prologue et. al. were worth owning (out of that list, I only own MGS4; the others don't really interest me, but they sold well).
The biggest problem I think is the PS3 doesn't have an identity; Wii has it's family/party gaming, 360 is for hardcore/online gamers... PS3 is... a... blu ray player?
This is probably related to the issue of PS3 not really dominating in any genre. 360 obviously dominates first-person shooters because MS had Bungie and because it's the natural choice for Windows developers in general (also doesn't hurt that Gabe Newell apparently loathes the PS3). Oddly enough, it also seems to be dominating niche Japanese arcade ports, although that's probably related to most of the current arcade games being PC-based. A lot of people expected PS3 to be a shoo-in for the RPG system, but thanks to various delays, Mistwalker, a 360 FF13 port, and DS getting Dragon Quest IX, that's turned out to not be the case. The only PS3-exclusive RPG that's actually done and that anyone says is worth a damn is Demon's Souls, and that still hasn't come to North America or Europe. On the SRPG front there's Disgaea 3, but apart from that NIS mostly seems to be interested in repackaging old stuff for Wii, PSP, and as overpriced Disgaea 3 DLC.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Code-Red
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Code-Red »

I seriously considered buying a PS3 when I was buying my LCD TV a while back. I had already owned a 360, and the worry of having it break at any given point while I play it is why I got rid of it. So there I was, holding a PS3 80GB, and I was going to stroll down the games isle to grab a couple games.

As soon as I reached the end of the isle, I put back the PS3, picked up a 360 Elite, and a bunch of 360 games.

It's pretty sad when you'd rather own the console with piss poor reliability....but on that note; I never used the Elite much. About a week after I bought it, I had a really early modded Jasper sent to me. I've been using that QUITE A LOT, and it hasn't stuttered one bit. Definitely happy with my purchase, and considering the 360 looks like its been cracked, I believe the 360 will dominate once XBMC and homebrew can be played on it.

It's like an article I read on Blue Guerilla a month ago. I don't hate the PS3, I hate Sony for what they've done with (or lack there of) it.
Dreamcast4life
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Dreamcast4life »

This console race is pretty stale in comparison with last gen. Nothing "new" or "worthwhile" every game that is now released is the same ol' story, Just prettier.
Have you played dreamcast today?
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

Post by Zealous zerotype »

I only own a wii and I don't really trust the 360 because of its numerous hardware problems. I'll consider getting a ps3 once you can play burned games or load from a harddrive or something. I've also decided the ammount of games I play does not warrant spending 300bucks on a console the most I wil pay to get going is about 50-75bucks. I also have a ton of ps2 games I want to play. The only games I really want to play on the ps3 are MGS4 and disgaea 3 (which I'm hoping gets a psp port). I really have to say that my psp, ds, wii and ps2 get the most play.

Right now I am playing disgaea 2 on the ps2, loco roco on the psp, luminus arc on the DS and doing some mario kart on the wii (I have a few games I want to play on that, but I'll wait till I finish disgaea 2). I really like the DS a lot I fell kinda reserved about taking my psp places becasue of its screen and scratches, etc... I would have to say now is the time to be a trpg fan as it seems as if the psp/ds have a plethora of them.
SCO=SCUM=M$=SCO it keeps repeating :P
i'm a randite :worship:
DYTDMFBSB?
There must have been some mistake
I'm not the one who should be saved
My divinity has been denied
Mary and me were both fucked by God