Poll: Legalize Drugs?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.

Should drugs be legalized?

Yes
67%
No
29%
Don't care either way
5%

Total votes: 21
AuroEdge
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Poll: Legalize Drugs?

Post by AuroEdge »

-Drug dealers scare me more than drug users
-Alcoholics slash prescription abusers aren't any worse off abusing something previously illegal
-Alcohol is to blame for 50% of the deaths in Russia
-Can't remember too many cases of a pharmacist killing the pharmacist who works across the street
-Taxable
-Less income for them terrorists & cartels
-The war on drugs is expensive in way way way too many ways human and economically to list
-A great source of corruption in every level of government
-People in occupations you or their employer wouldn't want doing drugs are probably already regularly drug tested
-I'm done here
"The only difference between the Democrats and the Republicans is
that the Democrats allow the poor to be corrupt, too." -Oscar Levant
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Re: Poll: Legalize Drugs?

Post by mrandyk »

I dont see why not. If people are doing it in their own home I dont see how it affects anyone, they are already doing it anyways. There should be some very harsh punishments for using it in public though, I wouldnt my kids to be exposed to people on drugs if I had any kids.
Stormwatch
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Stormwatch »

Drugs can be bad, but prohibition is incredibly worse -- AuroEdge has already explained why. So I'm for legalizing.
Lines join in faint discord and the Stormwatch brews
. . a concert of Kings as the white sea snaps
. . at the heels of a soft prayer
. . whispered
JuddWack
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by JuddWack »

A big fat yes for me, been preaching it for years.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

Not only with drugs, government shouldn't exist to babysit humans.

Yes.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

I am 100% against drug use and would rather see it banned forever than becoming a consumer product.

Having said that, watching our government spend so much money and resources combating it is completely asinine. Why drop millions fighting it when we could make millions taxing it? So my vote is a highly reluctant yes.
hearld500
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by hearld500 »

People who use drugs will always be able to get them. The 'war' on drugs is a joke.
Should drugs be legalized? No.

Theres theres too many people out there that can't manage the responsibility that would come with legalization.

I was for the legalization of weed up until my best friend from high school dropped off the map, not going out, not being with friends, just sits in his house and smokes with his roommate all day. Isolated case I know, but that was enough for me to never try it.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

I voted no. I think the punishment for carrying is a bit too strict, but I wouldn't want it legalized...
hearld500 wrote:Theres theres too many people out there that can't manage the responsibility that would come with legalization.

I was for the legalization of weed up until my best friend from high school dropped off the map, not going out, not being with friends, just sits in his house and smokes with his roommate all day. Isolated case I know, but that was enough for me to never try it.
...for this very reason.
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by SuperMegatron »

I think pot should be legalized and taxed out the ass. We could then focus our efforts on fighting the real drugs like crack and heroin.
AuroEdge
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by AuroEdge »

Luriden wrote:I voted no. I think the punishment for carrying is a bit too strict, but I wouldn't want it legalized...
hearld500 wrote:Theres theres too many people out there that can't manage the responsibility that would come with legalization.

...for this very reason.
I have plenty of old friends who dropped off the map that play video games all day just sitting in their home. Ban video games because they can be addictive and harmful. On that note, regulate how much overweight people eat because they're not responsible enough to eat right.
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Eviltaco64X »

hearld500 wrote:I was for the legalization of weed up until my best friend from high school dropped off the map, not going out, not being with friends, just sits in his house and smokes with his roommate all day. Isolated case I know, but that was enough for me to never try it.
Have you avoided alcohol because some people lay around the house all day hitting the bottle? Anything in excess is bad for you: weed, alcohol, and ULTRA GAMING included.

Marijuana's alright. It's great as a medicine as well (it's cured migraines I've had as well as stomach pain). I'd at least like to see it in a position where it's medicinal and completely decriminalized (at least in my state :P).
hearld500
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by hearld500 »

Eviltaco64X wrote: Have you avoided alcohol because some people lay around the house all day hitting the bottle? Anything in excess is bad for you: weed, alcohol, and ULTRA GAMING included.

Marijuana's alright. It's great as a medicine as well (it's cured migraines I've had as well as stomach pain). I'd at least like to see it in a position where it's medicinal and completely decriminalized (at least in my state :P).
Nope. Theres a lot higher incidence rate with marijuana though. Especially in my age group.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

hearld500 wrote:People who use drugs will always be able to get them. The 'war' on drugs is a joke.

Theres theres too many people out there that can't manage the responsibility that would come with legalization.

That's fine if you don't want to try it, but that isn't an argument for or against legalization.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Code-Red
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Code-Red »

hearld500 wrote:People who use drugs will always be able to get them. The 'war' on drugs is a joke.

That's pretty much my thoughts on the matter.

However, I voted for, because its been a loosing battle. Legalize the drugs that are somewhat natural, cocaine, marijuana, mushrooms, etc. Crack and heroine however need to be continuously battled.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

Code-Red wrote:

That's pretty much my thoughts on the matter.

However, I voted for, because its been a loosing battle. Legalize the drugs that are somewhat natural, cocaine, marijuana, mushrooms, etc. Crack and heroine however need to be continuously battled.
Why is cocaine OK but not crack? They're not really that different in terms of effects, etc. I'm just curious, not really trying to argue.

From what I've seen personally and read, the only drug that seems to destroy virtually everyone who uses it is meth. It's also the drug that would be by far the easiest to completely eliminate (the active ingredient is very difficult to make and is only made in a few places), but lobbying by the groups who make the legal drugs it is derived from have prevented that. If there's any drug that shouldn't be legal, it's probably that.

However, the constant drug busts and long jail terms of meth users and producers doesn't really seem to help anybody, so I dunno.
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
hearld500
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by hearld500 »

Heroine but not coke? They're both derived and refined from natural sources.
Meth is an just amphetamine right? Like adderall but at high doses?
AuroEdge
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by AuroEdge »

Bear in mind that just as decriminalized does not mean legal, the state of a drug being legal doesn't equate to being unregulated.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

Full title is methamphetamine, so yeah, it's an amphetamine. :-p

It's health effects are actually not extremely severe in many cases (in the sense of immediate death), but people who get addicted to it fall apart worse than any other drug users, at least so it seems. I think it has to do with how incredibly long the high from it lasts... One dose lasts like an entire day. Apparently, it can also have a lasting effect of making it difficult to feel much pleasure without it. Making it even harder to quit.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

That's his decision. Not yours to judge or correct.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

AuroEdge wrote:Bear in mind that just as decriminalized does not mean legal, the state of a drug being legal doesn't equate to being unregulated.
Exactly. Legalizing drugs would mean that the FDA could regulate drugs so you know what you're buying. I personally wouldn't buy these drugs anyway, but at least those who choose to use them aren't going to accidentally overdose because they got a batch of stuff that's more potent than they were used to. Also, who knows what else is mixed in there? I imagine that if you snort coke regularly, you're also snorting rat shit and whatever your coke has been cut with.