Programs to change gays to straights don't work, report says

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
U-said-it
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Programs to change gays to straights don't work, report says

Post by U-said-it »

(CNN) -- The American Psychological Association concluded Wednesday that there is little evidence that efforts to change a person's sexual orientation from gay or lesbian to heterosexual are effective.

The report looks at 87 studies conducted between 1960 and 2007.

In addition, the 138-page report -- covering 87 peer-reviewed studies -- said that such efforts may cause harm.

"Contrary to claims of sexual orientation change advocates and practitioners, there is insufficient evidence to support the use of psychological interventions to change sexual orientation," said Judith M. Glassgold, chairwoman of the task force that presented the report at the group's annual meeting in Toronto, Canada. The Washington-based association represents more than 150,000 members.
Only the religous fundies hold on to the ignorant idea that sexual preference is a choice. I can't believe people still deny this.

-Full Article-
ImageImage
Specially Cork

Re: Programs to change gays to straights don't work, report says

Post by Specially Cork »

They're just being stubborn.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Did they remember to convert from metric?
Stormwatch
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Stormwatch »

The metric system is the tool of the devil! My car gets 40 rods to the hogshead and that's the way I likes it.
Lines join in faint discord and the Stormwatch brews
. . a concert of Kings as the white sea snaps
. . at the heels of a soft prayer
. . whispered
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Stryfe »

DaMadFiddler wrote:Did they remember to convert from metric?
:roll: lol :lol:
ImageImageImageImage
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by mrandyk »

I dont get why it bothers so many people that gay people are out there.
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

Post by Zealous zerotype »

Evil
SCO=SCUM=M$=SCO it keeps repeating :P
i'm a randite :worship:
DYTDMFBSB?
There must have been some mistake
I'm not the one who should be saved
My divinity has been denied
Mary and me were both fucked by God
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Well, to be fair, it's not like they're abducting gays and forcing them into these programs. The people do it to themselves. What they should do is simply realize that they should be transexual. Only women are attracted to men, hence if john q public is attracted to men, he must simply be a woman. Problem solved.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Why do you think that "only women are attracted to men" ?! - Afaik the very definition of 'being gay' is that a man is attracted to other men, or a woman is attracted to other women. Being transexual is an entirely different thing altogether.
Insane homebrew collector.
Stormwatch
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Stormwatch »

Whoosh.
Lines join in faint discord and the Stormwatch brews
. . a concert of Kings as the white sea snaps
. . at the heels of a soft prayer
. . whispered
U-said-it
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by U-said-it »

Christuserloeser wrote:Being transexual is an entirely different thing altogether.
Ditto
ImageImage
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Christuserloeser wrote:Why do you think that "only women are attracted to men" ?! - Afaik the very definition of 'being gay' is that a man is attracted to other men, or a woman is attracted to other women. Being transexual is an entirely different thing altogether.
I'm well aware of all this. The people trying to enter these programs want to fix themselves. According to their world view only men and women can be attracted to one another and anything else is a mental disorder (SSAD - Same Sex Attraction Disorder). Hence, if they cannot reverse their attraction (as this report claims the programs are failing) the only other solution is to reverse their sex.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
U-said-it
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by U-said-it »

Quzar wrote:According to their world view only men and women can be attracted to one another and anything else is a mental disorder (SSAD - Same Sex Attraction Disorder).
Via the story link:
Though all mainstream health and mental health organizations concluded years ago that homosexuality is not a mental disorder, the American Psychological Association formed the task force to work on the report two years ago after noting a resurgence of groups that identified homosexuality as a defect or spiritual or moral failing.
As far as I know, The American Psychiatric Association ( APA) removed ego-syntonic (comfortable with orientation) homosexuality from the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) in 1973.
ImageImage
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

U-said-it wrote:
Quzar wrote:According to their world view only men and women can be attracted to one another and anything else is a mental disorder (SSAD - Same Sex Attraction Disorder).
Via the story link:
Though all mainstream health and mental health organizations concluded years ago that homosexuality is not a mental disorder, the American Psychological Association formed the task force to work on the report two years ago after noting a resurgence of groups that identified homosexuality as a defect or spiritual or moral failing.
As far as I know, The American Psychiatric Association ( APA) removed ego-syntonic (comfortable with orientation) homosexuality from the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) in 1973.
Please reread what I wrote. The 'they' in my 'their world view' is the people who run these de-gayifing programs. These people, typically affiliated with religious organizations, are not considered to be in the mainstream of mental health organizations. As for the name they attach to the disorder, since the APA has removed ego-syntonic homosexuality, in order to be not entirely mocked but instead claim to controversy these organizations claim instead that the gays have SSAD (I had the acronym wrong, it's Attachment not attraction).

It was a joke based on the beliefs of these fringe people. They feel that being gay is a sin because only men and women should be together. If, as the report claims, they are failing to change the sex that people are attracted to, logically their only other option would be to change those peoples sex. 'Eliminate homosexuality via compulsory sex changes'

Lets try one more time, to make sure this gets through. I in no way believe that only men can be attracted to women. This is the view of organizations who run programs such as those described in this article. I in no way believe that homosexuality is equivalent to transexuality in any way.

Again: 'problem': men are attracted to other men (oh noes!). Solution 1: Make them not be attracted to other men. FAILED. 'Obviously' the only other solution is to make them not men.