Prominent atheist - "Intelligent" design possible to study.

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
U-said-it
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Prominent atheist - "Intelligent" design possible to study.

Post by U-said-it »

1.) Richard Dawkins says in an interview with Ben Stein that he thinks it possible that a civilisation from somewhere in the universe seeded life onto planet earth.

2.) That biochemistry and molecular biology may show the signature of design by that higher intelligence.

Youtube video interview

I'd note that he does not say it is a good theory, or that it is supported, simply that it may be and that it could be studied. As opposed to an unknowable, untestable, supernatural creator.

-
ImageImage
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Re: Prominent atheist - "Intelligent" design possible to study.

Post by BlackAura »

Yeah... Ben Stein is going to be entirely neutral, isn't going to ask leading questions, and isn't going to creatively edit the interview.

(Watches interview).

Yep, he's still an ass. Typical interview technique if you want to appear to interview someone, but don't want to let them get a word in edgeways.

Also... everything you quoted there was purely speculative. It is, perhaps, possible that something seeded life on Earth. We don't have any evidence against it (unlike the typical ID nonsense, or the creation myths of most religions), but we don't have any evidence for it either. Maybe we could find some, maybe not.

Certainly anything capable of actually doing this would be incredibly advanced, probably way beyond our comprehension. I suppose you could call this a god - the English language lacks any better word for such a thing. Still, it can't possibly be anything supernatural since, by definition, anything supernatural can not exist. If it did exist, then it must have come about through some natural process.

None of which would solve the major problem with this theory. Where the hell did this creator come from? Ultimately, everything that exists in the universe must have come about through some natural process. God-like aliens don't just pop into existence. The universe just doesn't work like that.

This is something Dawkins tried to address, but Stein wouldn't let him, since it would completely ruin his argument.

On that note... This is a clip from Expelled, isn't it?
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

BlackAura wrote:
On that note... This is a clip from Expelled, isn't it?
Yes, it is.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
jaredfogle
DCEmu Turkey Baster
DCEmu Turkey Baster

Post by jaredfogle »

I hate when people mix up symbols and metaphors that serve people's social, psychological, and cosmological impulses with arguable, testable scientific evidence and theories.
Where's toastman? I'm bored.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

jaredfogle wrote:I hate when people mix up symbols and metaphors that serve people's social, psychological, and cosmological impulses with arguable, testable scientific evidence and theories.

Amen. It's especially annoying in the Art world, too.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

U-said-it wrote:1.) Richard Dawkins says in an interview with Ben Stein that he thinks it possible that a civilisation from somewhere in the universe seeded life onto planet earth.

2.) That biochemistry and molecular biology may show the signature of design by that higher intelligence.

Youtube video interview

I'd note that he does not say it is a good theory, or that it is supported, simply that it may be and that it could be studied. As opposed to an unknowable, untestable, supernatural creator.

-
Actually, he answered Ben Stein's question "How do you think that Intelligent Design would happen if were true?" (paraphrasing here naturally).
No signature.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

The presentation of that interview, bad as it is, is downright respectful compared to this bullshit.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Eviltaco64X »

I guess no one in here is gonna win Ben Stein's money. :(
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Eviltaco64X wrote:I guess no one in here is gonna win Ben Stein's money. :(
I thought Jimmy Kimmel already did that.