Maine has caught the gay! O NOES!

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
AgentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Maine has caught the gay! O NOES!

Post by AgentGreen »

Maine becomes 5th state to allow same-sex marriage

By GLENN ADAMS – 1 hour ago

AUGUSTA, Maine (AP) — Maine's governor signed a freshly passed bill Wednesday approving gay marriage, making it the fifth state to approve the practice and moving New England closer to allowing it throughout the region.

New Hampshire legislators were also poised to send a gay marriage bill to their governor, who hasn't indicated whether he'll sign it. If he does, Rhode Island would be the region's sole holdout.

Maine Gov. John Baldacci, a Democrat who hadn't indicated how he would handle his state's bill, quickly signed it.

"In the past, I opposed gay marriage while supporting the idea of civil unions," Baldacci said in a statement read in his office. "I have come to believe that this is a question of fairness and of equal protection under the law, and that a civil union is not equal to civil marriage."

The vote by the Maine Senate was 21-13, with one lawmaker absent. The bill authorizes marriage between any two people rather than between one man and one woman, as state law currently allows. The House had passed the bill Tuesday.

The law is to take effect in mid-September but could be sidetracked before then. Opponents promise to challenge it through a public veto process that could suspend it while a statewide vote takes shape.

Sue Estler, of Orono, said she and her partner of 20 years, Paula Johnson, plan to get married. But she also thinks opponents might collect enough signatures to force the referendum.

A professor at the University of Maine, the 64-year-old Estler said she sent an e-mail to out-of-state friends and family members Wednesday saying "Oh, my god. The governor just signed the bill."

"But I said, 'Don't make your travel plans for the wedding yet. There's still probably a referendum to go,'" she said.

Legislative debate was brief. Senate President Elizabeth Mitchell, D-Vassalboro, turned the gavel over to an openly gay member, Sen. Lawrence Bliss, D-South Portland, to preside over the final vote.

Republican Sen. Debra Plowman of Hampden argued that the bill was being passed "at the expense of the people of faith."

"You are making a decision that is not well-founded," warned Plowman.

But Senate Majority Leader Philip Bartlett II said the bill does not compel religious institutions to recognize gay marriage.

"We respect religious liberties. ... This is long overdue," said Bartlett, D-Gorham.

The activist group Gay & Lesbian Advocates & Defenders has targeted all six New England states for passage of a gay marriage law by 2012.

Maine is now the fourth state in the region to allow same-sex marriages. Connecticut enacted a bill after being ordered to allow gay marriages by the courts, and Vermont passed a bill over the governor's veto.

Massachusetts' high court has ordered the state to recognize gay marriages. In Rhode Island, a bill to legalize same-sex marriage has been introduced but is not expected to pass this year.

New Hampshire's House was also expected to vote on a bill Wednesday and send it to Gov. John Lynch, a Democrat. He could sign it, veto it or let it become law without his signature.

New England states have acted quickly since gay marriages became law in Massachusetts in 2004 because it's a small region with porous borders, shared media markets and a largely shared culture, said Carisa Cunningham of the gay defenders group.

"People can see the sky hasn't fallen on Massachusetts. There hasn't been a destruction of Western civilization, and life has gone on," Cunningham said.

Outside New England, Iowa is recognizing gay marriages on court orders. The practice was briefly legal in California before voters banned it.

If it comes to a statewide vote in Maine, Estler is confident gay marriage will prevail.

"I think Maine people will support it," she said. "Part of the reason I say that is Maine is a state where people, regardless of party affiliation, really believe in live and let live."

Associated Press writers Clarke Canfield in Portland, Maine, and Holly Ramer in Concord, N.H., contributed to this report.

Copyright © 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
Link
Christuserloeser

Re: Maine has caught the gay! O NOES!

Post by Christuserloeser »

That's one giant leap for a man, one small step for mankind.
Insane homebrew collector.
Stormwatch
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Stormwatch »

Republican Sen. Debra Plowman of Hampden argued that the bill was being passed "at the expense of the people of faith."
Translation: "It's ok that people don't follow our religion. But they have to obey our taboos nonetheless!"

Lines join in faint discord and the Stormwatch brews
. . a concert of Kings as the white sea snaps
. . at the heels of a soft prayer
. . whispered
jaredfogle
DCEmu Turkey Baster
DCEmu Turkey Baster

Post by jaredfogle »

Locust plague soon...
Where's toastman? I'm bored.
henzenmann
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by henzenmann »

The expression "main man" just got a whole new meaning :)
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Eviltaco64X »

Doesn't mean that it'll catch the AIDS too? :D
cactusjoe3
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by cactusjoe3 »

Oh Nooe's

Soon Maine Will contract The AIDS .
and it will be one bigg BFBB ( butt F****** brady bunch )

LOL
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

Eviltaco64X wrote:Doesn't mean that it'll catch the AIDS too? :D
cactusjoe3 wrote:Oh Nooe's

LOL
I find your ignorance disgusting. :|
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Eviltaco64X »

OneThirty8 wrote:

LOL
I find the fact that you can't take a damn joke disgusting. :|
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

Eviltaco64X wrote:
OneThirty8 wrote:

LOL
I find the fact that you can't take a damn joke disgusting. :|
I can take a joke when it's funny. I don't find jokes about AIDS funny.
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Eviltaco64X »

Well I hope my joke didn't offend you too much. I know nothing on the internet goes as far as being downright offensive. ;)