Stupid question regarding HDMI and optical audio out....

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Stupid question regarding HDMI and optical audio out....

Post by MulletMan13 »

I feel like an idiot asking this question, but here goes:

As it currently stands, my receiver has a single Optical Audio input, no HDMI inputs, and several RCA inputs. My 360 audio is hooked up to the receiver via RCA jack, and my PS3 is hooked up to said receiver via Optical Audio. I'd love to hook both optical audio to the receiver, but alas, it only has one input and switching cables is tiresome.

I've also come to notice that my new TV has an optical audio out jack on it. My question is this:

If I run the PS3 to HDMI #1, and the 360 to HDMI #2-- would that alleviate my problem if I connected the Optical Audio from my TV to my receiver? I'm really out of the loop on how HDMI works, so I'm a bit unsure.

I know Google is my friend, I could research it on my own, I could fish out my TV manuals... but this is easier.

kthnxbye
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Re: Stupid question regarding HDMI and optical audio out....

Post by |darc| »

That's probably going to depend on your television, man. It could just be an optical out for its own tuner, or it could pass all audio signals onward. I'm thinking you're probably going to get what you want from it, but you should probably fish out that manual.
It's thinking...
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Yeah, it really depends on what the TV does. Another thing to keep in mind: since optical audio is an unencrypted bitstream, many devices won't let you output surround sound with it.

For example: I have my PS3 (which, for all intents and purposes, is serving as my home theater system these days) hooked up to a Logitech Z-5500 speaker set via optical. The speakers autodetect whether they're getting a 5.1 channel feed or a stereo feed; when they only get stereo sound, they'll kick it into a Pro-Logic decoder. When I play a DVD or a PS3 game (or one of the rare PS2 games that came out in Dolby Digital), the speakers accept the digital feed and play it back in discrete 5.1 channel audio. But the Playstation (and for that matter, most standalone players) will not output a 5.1 channel feed from Blu-Ray movies or SACDs; something I discovered after the fact, much to my disappointment. It'll only output a stereo mix. I guess they're afraid people will steal the higher-quality feed.

You'll be fine with optical if you're only playing games, so you may want to have the 360 on the optical feed. All the more reason to hate DRM, but that's they way most of these things work these days. If you want to ensure Dolby Digital output from Blu-Ray, though, you probably want to find a way to get the sound via HDMI feed...which, if your sound system doesn't have HDMI, may mean either a new amp, a converter box, or passing the audio through the TV (if the TV will output a 5.1 feed).
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

It'll only output a stereo mix. I guess they're afraid people will steal the higher-quality feed.
I always find that baffling, just like the HDCP bullshit. I mean, they REALLY think because it is "only" DVD quality that somehow makes piracy of it fine? It hurts NO ONE but legitimate users. I don't get it!
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Lartrak wrote: It hurts NO ONE but legitimate users.
Welcome to the reason I bloody hate DRM. The stuff you steal is more functional than the stuff you actually pay good money for. That's actually the main reason I don't buy very many movies on Blu-Ray; DVDs I get my full surround sound with, and I can rip them to take with me on my iPod. Blu-Ray is difficult to rip, and due to all these absurd hardware restrictions, I'd have to buy a whole new setup just to get the sound I theoretically already have the equipment to get. Same thing with HDCP; my TV is an older HDTV (2004-model rear projection 720p/1080i model from Toshiba, was their first model to include an HDMI port), and there's a handshake issue with my Playstation, because the older spec isn't 100% compatible with the current revision. As a result, my video cuts out for a couple seconds at random, in 5-15 minute intervals. I'd switch to component cables, but then it won't upscale my PS2 games and DVDs. And with the resolution token that's built into the Blu-Ray spec, studios could theoretically start setting their movies to only display at standard-def unless you're using HDMI.

Fuck copy protection.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

If it turns out that you can't get anything out of the optical output (I know mine is only for the built-in digital tuner), then you could go with an optical switcher--you can pick one up for less than $10US on eBay.

Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

I know my television won't broadcast sound out it's optical unless it's the TV tuner audio. So it's definitely hit or miss if your TV supports it.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

MulletMan13 wrote:I know Google is my friend, I could research it on my own, I could fish out my TV manuals... but this is easier.

kthnxbye
Unfortunately, if you'll read above, you'll see this varies enough from model to model that you'll pretty much have to check the manual. Seriously, though, you may just be boned in this respect. If you use the PS3 for Blu-Ray movies, and you want the full sound rather than a stereo downmix, you pretty much need a receiver that takes HDMI. I'd recommend using the optical for the 360, since it's pretty much games only, and getting an HDMI converter for the PS3. If this isn't an issue for you, an optical switch as az_bont posted should work fine for you. If you do use Blu-Ray (or, for whatever reason, SACD) discs a lot, though, my may want to consider upgrading to an HDMI-capable receiver.
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

Ha! And I always wondered why my Blu Ray discs sounded like Stereo/Pro Logic.

Turns out my TV can do what I was wanting-- however unless it's OTA 5.1 channels, it will only output stereo. Lame ass city.

Upgrading my reciever is out of the question at this point. The PS3 is likely getting sold shortly, and my HTPC will move into its place (it also has a BR drive). Guess my picture will be in HD, but my sound will be stuck where it was 20 years ago.

Thanks for the help.
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Wait, so having my PS3 hooked up over the optical only output in stereo? I never noticed that.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

melancholy wrote:Wait, so having my PS3 hooked up over the optical only output in stereo? I never noticed that.
For Blu-Ray and SACDs. Games and DVDs will output Dolby Digital / DTS.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

DaMadFiddler wrote:
melancholy wrote:Wait, so having my PS3 hooked up over the optical only output in stereo? I never noticed that.
As long as you've properly configured the optical output in the settings menu, you should get Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1 with Blu-Rays--I set up a mate's PS3 to do just that a few weeks ago. Make sure it's set to 'Bitstream' output, and that you've checked the boxes to show that your amp supports the two formats.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

az_bont wrote:
DaMadFiddler wrote:
As long as you've properly configured the optical output in the settings menu, you should get Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1 with Blu-Rays--I set up a mate's PS3 to do just that a few weeks ago. Make sure it's set to 'Bitstream' output, and that you've checked the boxes to show that your amp supports the two formats.
Hm; you're right. I'm an idiot. I thought I had everything ticked over to bitstream, but Blu-Ray playback apparently wasn't. I went back through all my settings last night... watched Bladerunner, and it was fine.