just how secure is ssh?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Jaded JAaron77
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

just how secure is ssh?

Post by Jaded JAaron77 »

My university has taken to packet sniffing to keep tabs on what is done on their network. I've a computer off-campus that I can access via ssh and create a tunnel for VNC, I'm just curious how easily they could see through that. I guess what I'm asking is exactly how good is ssh's encryption. (strange I'm actually typing this on the remote computer via the aforementioned tunnel and it doesn't pass arrow keys, backspace, or return)
this is my signature
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Re: just how secure is ssh?

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Assuming that your implementation is sound, I don't think it's feasible for them to actually break the encryption. However, they can still tell that you're connected to the other end of the tunnel, and may be able to perform traffic analysis to guess at the sorts of applications that you're running over the tunnel. Also, depending on your network configuration, it's possible that you would pass DNS queries over an unencrypted connection rather than the encrypted tunnel, which could basically tell them what sites you're talking to even though they wouldn't be able to see the actual connections.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

It depends on what you're connecting to. If you're connecting to the university network, and performing all of your actions there, they can basically see everything you're doing.

The communication between your computer and their network is encrypted and pretty safe from anyone hacking in between. However, on either end of the connection, everything is pretty much open.

It's the same concept as sending and receiving encrypted e-mail messages. The sender can see the message in plain text. The recipient can see the message in plain text. It's just encrypted for people trying to intercept it in between.
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought he was on university ethernet (e.g. resnet) and wanted to tunnel outside the university for privacy, not tunneling into the university network from some external ISP.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Jaded JAaron77
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Jaded JAaron77 »

you're right, Ex, i'm on the university network, connecting to a computer off-campus.

so basically they'll be able to see who I'm connected to and that i'm using ssh/scp or maybe vnc over an ssh tunnel, but won't necessarily be able to see what files i'm transferring or what commands i'm sending over vnc?
this is my signature
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

Jaded JAaron77 wrote:you're right, Ex, i'm on the university network, connecting to a computer off-campus.

so basically they'll be able to see who I'm connected to and that i'm using ssh/scp or maybe vnc over an ssh tunnel, but won't necessarily be able to see what files i'm transferring or what commands i'm sending over vnc?
Sorry. I misunderstood. It sounded to me like you were in an off-campus location trying to tunnel into the university network.
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Jaded JAaron77 wrote:so basically they'll be able to see who I'm connected to and that i'm using ssh/scp or maybe vnc over an ssh tunnel, but won't necessarily be able to see what files i'm transferring or what commands i'm sending over vnc?
Yep. The actual data will all be encrypted, which includes everything sent or received after the connection is made. They'll be able to see an SSH connection with some kind of data traveling through it, and they'll be able to tell the IP addresses at either end of the connection, but that's about it.