How did life begin?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
hey911
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

How did life begin?

Post by hey911 »

A question for the ages... How did life start? For centuries, people have pondered the questions - Will man ever know the origin(s) of life? And could he create it?

--Please note that the Theory of Evolution only explains the diverse tree of living biological organisms on this planet, how they have "changed over time", and why they are intrinsically linked to each other. It doesn't attempt to explain the origin of life itself.--

Well at best I consider myself a student, and I kinda think that "is" what a scientist does - Learn. And knowledge always grows in one direction, forward, like the entropic fate of time there is no going back.

Many hypotheses like "abiogenesis", "panspermia", and the like have been made.

There were the primal soup studies done in the 1950's called the Miller-Urey experiment, and in 2008, reanalysis of the experiment, based on a better understanding of the primitive earth conditions revealed even more well known biologically used compounds.

There have been hypotheses of a "RNA world", RNA a historical precursor to DNA, was believed to be the original material used in hereditary transfer. And from there surmised that the precursor to RNA would have had to been a closed system, self-replicating molecule.

Well....we might very well be on the brink of discovering that process of self-replication: Science Daily

Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC

Re: How did life begin?

Post by Roofus »

Life originated on Mars and was carried here on asteroids.
Stormwatch
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Stormwatch »

Well, see, your mommy and your daddy liked each other very much, so they... oh wait, nevermind.
Lines join in faint discord and the Stormwatch brews
. . a concert of Kings as the white sea snaps
. . at the heels of a soft prayer
. . whispered
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Species existed before us that shared the same desire to create artificial life and intelligence that humanity does. We are the product of that desire. Maybe we're in a science lab somewhere; perhaps the entire universe is nothing more than a small petridish in a world far larger - where a billion years for us is a millionth of a second for them. Or maybe we're just running on computers, and are not biological at all.

To be honest, I don't really care. I don't believe in an afterlife so I don't think the answer to where I came from will give me a satisfying answer to where I go when I die. As someone who isn't a scientist, that's the only reason I would care.
hey911
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by hey911 »

Roofus wrote:Life originated on Mars and was carried here on asteroids.
Sure did! I party with the little green peeps all the time. Me being a cyborg and all, I can handle the interstellar space travel :borg: .
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

Before time began, there was... the cube.

We know not where it comes from; Only that it holds the power to create worlds, and fill them with life. That was how our race was born.

For a time, we lived in harmony. But like all great power, some wanted it for good, others... for evil. And so began the war - a war that ravaged our planet until it was consumed by death, and the cube was lost to the far reaches of space.

We scattered across the galaxy, hoping to find it and rebuild our home, searching every star, every world. And just when all hope seemed lost, message of a new discovery drew us to an unknown planet called... Earth.

But we were already too late.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube