Christians get pissy over atheist buses

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 5 times

Re: Christians get pissy over atheist buses

Post by |darc| » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:37 pm

Maturion wrote:Christian countries are tolerant enough, go to Iraq, Iran or Afghanistan and start your campaign there. We have religious freedom here already.
You can think that however you want, but there isn't complete religious freedom in the United States.
It's thinking...
hey911
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by hey911 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:19 pm

Eviltaco64X wrote:
I also believe that Christianity was driven out of a lot of places by Atheists, where it is now forbidden or looked down upon very negatively.
I'd say it was more like in fighting between various Christian groups, other competing religious viewpoints, and socio-political reasons that might have caused that to happen. By the way what country do you live in, because here in the states the opposite is true. Polls done yearly here put the belief in God at around 3 out 4 to 4 out of 5 people believing in a god.

And let's not talk about intelligent design advocates trying to push their theistic beliefs onto people in the classroom, there's supposed to be separation of church and state after all. But, at least those attempts are shot down every time on the basis that they aren't teaching science, period.
Roofus wrote:Please stop pushing your liberal, GODless, evolutionist/abortionist agenda.
The fact that evolution is "true", does not disconfirm any existence of a God or gods. Maybe it doesn't agree a literal interpretation of the Christian Bible, but it doesn't disprove any possible creator.
It simply explains the diversity and unity of biological organisms on this planet. Feel free to Google "Ken Miller", he's a Professor of Biology at Brown University here in the states. He is leading advocate for evolution education in the sciences, and is openly Catholic.
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC

Post by Roofus » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:35 pm

hey911 wrote:
Roofus wrote:Please stop pushing your liberal, GODless, evolutionist/abortionist agenda.
The fact that evolution is "true", does not disconfirm any existence of a God or gods. Maybe it doesn't agree a literal interpretation of the Christian Bible, but it doesn't disprove any possible creator.
It simply explains the diversity and unity of biological organisms on this planet. Feel free to Google "Ken Miller", he's a Professor of Biology at Brown University here in the states. He is leading advocate for evolution education in the sciences, and is openly Catholic.
GOD wrote:And God said, "Let the earth bring forth living creatures according to their kinds: cattle and creeping things and beasts of the earth according to their kinds." And it was so. And God made the beasts of the earth according to their kinds and the cattle according to their kinds, and everything that creeps upon the ground according to its kind. And God saw that it was good.

That's all I need.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:33 am

:lol:
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Roofus

Post by Roofus » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:03 am

Skynet wrote::lol:
You laugh now, but you'll be sad when the Rapture comes.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:04 am

We'll see. I think I might enjoy the show

hey911
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by hey911 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:27 am

I'm having a hard time figuring out if you're being serious or not, probably not. But "Human" evolution is a fact, along with the rest of the animal kingdom, we indeed did evolve from lower life forms. Not that I believe in a god myself, but coming from "the dirt" could be seen as contiguous with a a "lowly" evolutionary origin. (IE - single celled organisms).

Evolution is "Observable", "Reproducible", and is "Applied" to fields such as botany, zoology, veterinarian and medical fields. Without out the unifying concept of evolution, the current science of biology would not exist.

Medicine as a professional field could not properly function without this "Theory", which as theories go, is as backed up as the "Atomic Theory", and the Theory of Relativity". It has well over a hundred and fifty years of accumulated evidence supporting it, and it is a simple fact that if you deny this you are delusional.

So, go ahead and laugh when some medicine that saves someone you care about would have only existed because of this knowledge...

--Sorry for ranting. If anyone would truly like to debate "evolution", as opposed to the "separate" concept of "God". As the former is a matter of physical evidence, and the latter a "philosophical" question, then a new thread should be started.--
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Quzar » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:14 am

hey911 wrote:I'm having a hard time figuring out if you're being serious or not, probably not. But "Human" evolution is a fact, along with the rest of the animal kingdom, we indeed did evolve from lower life forms. Not that I believe in a god myself, but coming from "the dirt" could be seen as contiguous with a a "lowly" evolutionary origin. (IE - single celled organisms).

Evolution is "Observable", "Reproducible", and is "Applied" to fields such as botany, zoology, veterinarian and medical fields. Without out the unifying concept of evolution, the current science of biology would not exist.

Medicine as a professional field could not properly function without this "Theory", which as theories go, is as backed up as the "Atomic Theory", and the Theory of Relativity". It has well over a hundred and fifty years of accumulated evidence supporting it, and it is a simple fact that if you deny this you are delusional.

So, go ahead and laugh when some medicine that saves someone you care about would have only existed because of this knowledge...

--Sorry for ranting. If anyone would truly like to debate "evolution", as opposed to the "separate" concept of "God". As the former is a matter of physical evidence, and the latter a "philosophical" question, then a new thread should be started.--
The best argument and debate though comes from the non-life/non-survival of the fittest-natural selection portion of it: how did life begin? Unless there has been some breakthroughs I was unaware of, all attempts to create life artificially through simulation of presumed conditions to create life have failed. One side argues that it has not been done because it cannot be done, the other argues that we just havn't figured out how yet.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:21 am

Maturion wrote:
Again, this atheist campaign is in response to a Christian one that informed non-believers they would go to hell. Please don't try and tell me this is a sign of your religion's tolerance.
Please don't tell me how tolerant atheists are.
Just remember that atheism isn't a belief set, it's an absence of one. For this reason, broad generalities about us are even less accurate than is typical.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Roofus

Post by Roofus » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:55 pm

hey911 wrote:I'm having a hard time figuring out if you're being serious or not, probably not.
It was the Rapture comment, wasn't it? :oops:
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:06 pm

Roofus wrote:I don't see why the atheists have to throw their beliefs in our faces all the time. If you don't want to believe in GOD, fine but keep it in your home and off my buses.
How much for a ticket up north? I'm going to visit Melancholy.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:16 pm

Quzar wrote:The best argument and debate though comes from the non-life/non-survival of the fittest-natural selection portion of it: how did life begin? Unless there has been some breakthroughs I was unaware of, all attempts to create life artificially through simulation of presumed conditions to create life have failed. One side argues that it has not been done because it cannot be done, the other argues that we just havn't figured out how yet.
None of which is relevant to a debate on evolution - how life started in the first place is outside the scope of the theory.

As for our failure to create life, bear in mind that it took hundreds of millions of years to occur naturally, and we've only been trying for maybe two decades. We don't actually know what events need to occur, in what order, and what the intermediate steps are before you get to something we could call life. So we can't take any shortcuts until we work that out. Just wait - we'll get there eventually.

What we have managed to do is synthesize many of the fundamental chemical components of life in the conditions of ancient Earth. Basic amino acids, for example, can form spontaneously in the right conditions. More complex organic compounds, like proteins or enzymes, can form spontaneously from basic amino acids. Enzymes can manufacture more complex enzymes or amino acids. However, until we get something complex enough for evolution to start working, then the organic chemicals being formed are essentially random, and the interaction between them is random.

In order for evolution to take effect, we need replication, mutation, and selection. While evolution traditionally describes the development of life, it doesn't have to. The development of other things can be modeled using the same principles - human languages, cultures, or religions, for example, which are taught to each new generation, are able to be changed or mixed together, and have to compete with one another for limited resources. Yes, I've read some of Dawkin's work, although I wouldn't go as far as to call religion a "virus".

It's even possible to develop software like this - replication and mutation are handled externally, and selection is performed using a fitness function. Where the solution to a problem is unknown, genetic algorithms can converge on a solution pretty quickly.

Recently, some researchers managed to create a self-replicating RNA enzyme. It was inherently capable of self-replication and mutation (simply by making imperfect copies). The researchers synthesized some of these, put them in a container with some raw materials, and let them at it.

Kind of a dodgy article, but... http://www.livescience.com/strangenews/ ... -life.html

Basically, evolution happened. The... whatever they are... replicated, and mutated. The ones that were most able to replicate did so, while those that were less able didn't, or stopped working. The end result was that a few distinct enzymes, which were not the same as the original ones, dominated.

A while ago, our understanding of what might have happened before actual lifeforms developed was basically "dunno". Now it's "some basic amino acids formed, then some basic enzymes and proteins formed from those amino acids, then something or other happened for a few million years, then we get some self-replicating organic chemicals, then evolution kicks in, then something else happens for a few million more years, and then we have a lifeform".

It's still incomplete, but it's getting better. We have some hypotheses to fill in those gaps, of course, but we've never been able to demonstrate many of them. Yet.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:18 am

Holy shit it's BA!

BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:00 am

Yeah, I still show up here occasionally.
AgentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen

Post by AgentGreen » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:47 pm

Maturion wrote:
Again, this atheist campaign is in response to a Christian one that informed non-believers they would go to hell. Please don't try and tell me this is a sign of your religion's tolerance.
Please don't tell me how tolerant atheists are.
The only people I don't tolerate are belligerent idiots and people who never grew out of the imaginary friend stage.

Religions are chock-full of both!