I just got a laptop (for free), what do I do?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Code-Red
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

I just got a laptop (for free), what do I do?

Post by Code-Red » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:18 pm

My father just gave me his "old" Dell Inspirion 8600, which I've just taken apart and re-painted because it was looking a little weathered. This is my first laptop, and I'm not quite sure what I want to do with it. I've always been a desktop guy, but I'm open to computing while on the go. I could use it as a media pc on the go, or a "trial" computer (which I'm using is as right now....finally installing Solaris 10).

My question to you guys is this: What do you use on your laptops? Programs, OS's, etc. What do you use them for?
Specially Cork
Been liked: 1 time

Re: I just got a laptop (for free), what do I do?

Post by Specially Cork » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:52 pm

I use my laptop like a normal computer. I don't play games, so a laptop can do everything I need it to. I prefer them to desktops mainly for the portability, especially now home wifi networks are becoming the norm.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by |darc| » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:01 pm

my spare old laptop sits on a top shelf in my small office/computer room. It runs ubuntu, functioning just as an irc bouncer server.
It's thinking...
Thomas
Thomas

Post by Thomas » Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:50 pm

I'm pretty new to laptops too, will it overheat easy if I leave it on 24/7 like I did with my desktop? Also if it is constantly plugged in, will that cause any damage to the battery like where it thinks that point is empty andwon't go any lower (forget the term for it).
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Nico0020 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:23 am

I use my lappy as my desktop. as this was the first computer i bought, as i bought it once i was in college. before then i shared a desktop with my sister. I just redid all my partitions as I wanted as little on windows as possible. So I have ubuntu installed and everything works great. windows just in case of SOMETHING. but really there is nothing left i need windows for. I can play all my games that I like to play, UT2k4, Half life/half life 2 games. Watch DVDs,music,videos. Just installed Office 2007 in linux under crossover, it's different but im getting to like it. Everything I would use a desktop for I use my lappy for. I even stream my media to my 360 wirelessly through it. A Laptop is very liberating, especially if you are a student. But if you are not on the go a lot, just install yourself Office and other needed apps I guess.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
Code-Red
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Code-Red » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:20 am

I'm going back to college in January, so I'll most likely be using it more often then.

Tried Solaris (pointless) - Tried Linux again (still didn't like it) - Installed TinyXP SP3
Thomas wrote:I'm pretty new to laptops too, will it overheat easy if I leave it on 24/7 like I did with my desktop? Also if it is constantly plugged in, will that cause any damage to the battery like where it thinks that point is empty andwon't go any lower (forget the term for it).
Most laptops have an auto-shutoff. This prevents overcharge on the battery. My fathers old Compaq had it, this Dell does, and his HP does as well. As far as overheating? Couldn't tell ya.
AgentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen

Post by AgentGreen » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:17 am

I use my laptop as a portable internet and word processing machine.
sixteen-bit
Hardware Freak
Hardware Freak

Post by sixteen-bit » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:07 pm

Thomas wrote: Also if it is constantly plugged in, will that cause any damage to the battery
Yes.
If it's continuously powered from the mains, charge the battery to 40% then remove it. Keeping it at 100% will shorten its useable life drastically.

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm