gustav sucks

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

gustav sucks

Post by |darc| »

weathered the storm in baton rouge. Power is out for 750000 people in la, including everyone I know here in br. 3g Internet is going in and out here. Where is toastman, gamedudex, others ?
It's thinking...
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: gustav sucks

Post by toastman »

I went stay with my sister in Youngsville. Didn't lose power or internet, but my wife was using the laptop the whole time to play WoW. Going back to Houma tomorrow.
No signature.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

best of luck to you man. I know Houma got hit hard.
It's thinking...
Polymira
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Polymira »

Ever thought about moving?
--pSyCo
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

If he didn't think about it after the first hurricane, I highly doubt this one's going to scare him away.
Code-Red
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Code-Red »

One of the guys in my car club is in Houma, says the place is trashed. The only reason he stayed was so he could protect his property from vandals.

Pretty fucking sad when you have to risk your life, so people don't steal your stuff after a natural disaster.
gamedudex2
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by gamedudex2 »

yo ,darc and toast. i'm here in tx visiting some family. i was going to stay for a hurricane party in the french quarter, but a lot of people were leaving ,so i went as well, because it was looking like it was gonna be really bad. anyways, we have 2 more to worry about soon, but atleast hanna doesn't seem to be headed for us.
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

Lol, "Hurricane party"? I'm going assume there's more to it than just having a party during a hurricane.
gamedudex2
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by gamedudex2 »

ace wrote:Lol, "Hurricane party"? I'm going assume there's more to it than just having a party during a hurricane.
yes

hurricane parties own . my friends in the french quarter usually have projectors, game consoles, movies, endless supply of food and beer wine etc. but most people were leaving they still had the party but it wasnt big this time, i misseed the katrina one they had fun.

a few local bands stayed for katrinas party as well.

its pretty much 24/7

hurricane parties are a new orleans tradition. some bars were having parties during gustav as well this year.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

A hurricane party is kind of like camping and partying combined. You stock up on as much shit as possible and party while the storm goes on. You have to realize that the hurricane means everything is cancelled, so all your responsibilities disappear. After the storm ended, my roommate and I got with one of his friends and just partied. Backup generator powering the TV, fridge, keg cooler, fans, and the 360, we got shitfaced and barbecued burgers and pork chops. Yes, it sucks for the people who will be financially impacted. But as for me? I had a bunch of fun and the only expense is having to replace the crap that was in my fridge and spoiled when the power went out.

I just got power back in my apartment. The Internet is still out here, so I'm posting from iPhone edge. Everything is fine. I have the rest of the week off from class, so I'll have plenty of time to spend with the girl I'm trying to court.

Polymira: why didn't you move when you had to be evacuated for forest fires several times recently? I've only had to do the hurricane thing a few times in by life, and Katrina was the first to do any real damage besides a fallen tree in our backyard or something. Barring Katrina, New Orleans hasn't been hit significantly by a hurricane since the 60s.
It's thinking...
JuddWack
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by JuddWack »

You guys are hardcore. Hurricane parties sound awesome!
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

|darc| wrote:best of luck to you man. I know Houma got hit hard.
Lost a few shingles on my house and rear screen door. Tree lost a significant amount of branches, but all utilities except for power is up at my house. Still staying with my sister until power is restored and also depending on what Ike does.
No signature.
gamedudex2
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by gamedudex2 »

one shingle on roof loose, some tree limbs in yard. power,phone, cable, net all working. any word on if water is safe in nola yet? just checking if i need to boil it or not before i give to dog. right now i got bottled water
Thomas
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

My friend in the National Guard just got shipped out to NO for hurricane relief, but he has not really contacted anyone so we don't know what he is doing down there.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

This is fucking lame, it looks like Ike is headed toward us now. It still has much wiggle room, it could miss us, but things aren't looking great..
It's thinking...
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

|darc| wrote:This is fucking lame, it looks like Ike is headed toward us now. It still has much wiggle room, it could miss us, but things aren't looking great..
Latest updates has it passing south of us on the way to Texas.
No signature.
HomerCIDAL
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by HomerCIDAL »

I have weathered so many hurricanes growing up in South East Texas that I really do know your pain |darc|. Ike sucks too! My entire family (parents, grandfather, both sisters and their husbands, 2 nieces, 1 nephew and extended family members through my sisters' marriages) had to evacuate. I'm housing 12 inside my house along with 2 dogs and 2 cats. It certainly hasn't been easy on anyone and they think it might be a month before utilities are restored to the point they can return. For all of you affected by the storms, you and your families will be in my prayers!
Thomas
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Ike certainly held it's strength inland as well. We have 50 mph winds all day yesterday, will bursts up to 65 mph. Knocked out power for most of the state, and some areas of town are still out. It is crazy that we got winds like that up here from Ike.
HomerCIDAL
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by HomerCIDAL »

What confuses me the most is how technology has improved so much but buildings just don't stand up to these storms the way the older ones do. Maybe technology has designed everything to be so fragile :o
hearld500
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by hearld500 »

HomerCIDAL wrote:What confuses me the most is how technology has improved so much but buildings just don't stand up to these storms the way the older ones do. Maybe technology has designed everything to be so fragile :o
Thats one thing I've never understood either about all the hurricane areas.
Where I'm at in the middle of Montana and it's not unusual to have a constant 60mph wind and gusts of 80. We never have power go out, building damage, anything at all.