iPhone buying

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

iPhone buying

Post by melancholy »

I have pretty much decided that next week I want to buy an iPhone. Just the ability to have my iPod and cell phone integrated into one device would be amazing. But there are a few things I want to know before spending the money. First off, in my area is only the Edge network. The nearest 3G signal is 40 miles away. So I'm almost considering getting an Edge version and saving the $15 off the monthly bill (since I would also need to get a texting plan with the 3G phone). But on the other hand, I also hear that the new iPhones are eligible for employee discounts, and through work I would get 20% off my plan. However, I have heard some people say it's only off the voice and not the data, while others say that it's off the whole bill, and even some that say the discounts don't apply at all. So obviously I'm confused by the whole thing. And another issue is that I want to take advantage of the new games coming out for the iPhone, but I wasn't sure if the Edge version was compatible or not.

Anyway, I know a few of you own iPhones, so if you know anything that could help me out, it would be appreciated.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Re: iPhone buying

Post by |darc| »

melancholy wrote:I have pretty much decided that next week I want to buy an iPhone. Just the ability to have my iPod and cell phone integrated into one device would be amazing. But there are a few things I want to know before spending the money. First off, in my area is only the Edge network. The nearest 3G signal is 40 miles away. So I'm almost considering getting an Edge version and saving the $15 off the monthly bill (since I would also need to get a texting plan with the 3G phone). But on the other hand, I also hear that the new iPhones are eligible for employee discounts, and through work I would get 20% off my plan. However, I have heard some people say it's only off the voice and not the data, while others say that it's off the whole bill, and even some that say the discounts don't apply at all. So obviously I'm confused by the whole thing. And another issue is that I want to take advantage of the new games coming out for the iPhone, but I wasn't sure if the Edge version was compatible or not.

Anyway, I know a few of you own iPhones, so if you know anything that could help me out, it would be appreciated.
1. You might still have 3G coverage even if you aren't on the map. I have been in areas that don't have 3G on AT&T's map, but 3G service pops up.
2. It's not worth it to get an EDGE iPhone. You can't buy them new from Apple or AT&T anymore, and they are still selling for about $450 on eBay because they can be unlocked.
3. All software has the same compatibility with both phones. Locationing service works better with the 3G because it has GPS, but it works via cell tower triangulation and wifi spotting on the EDGE iPhone.

Your best and cheapest bet is to get the iPhone 3G.
It's thinking...
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

|darc| wrote: 2. It's not worth it to get an EDGE iPhone. You can't buy them new from Apple or AT&T anymore, and they are still selling for about $450 on eBay because they can be unlocked.
The whole reason why I mentioned it was because that $450 phone is a $150 difference, which is the extra I would pay after a year of service. Considering it's two year contracts, even with the 8GB phone I'd still save money in the long run. However, that would really be dependent of if my discount works on the 3G phones. If it does, it would actually be a cheaper plan with a 3G.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

I know that the 3G version is eligible for discounts through the plans here at Microsoft, so I'd guess it would be through most other companies' plans as well.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

melancholy wrote:
|darc| wrote: 2. It's not worth it to get an EDGE iPhone. You can't buy them new from Apple or AT&T anymore, and they are still selling for about $450 on eBay because they can be unlocked.
The whole reason why I mentioned it was because that $450 phone is a $150 difference, which is the extra I would pay after a year of service. Considering it's two year contracts, even with the 8GB phone I'd still save money in the long run. However, that would really be dependent of if my discount works on the 3G phones. If it does, it would actually be a cheaper plan with a 3G.
A $150 difference if you're getting a 16gb; I assumed you were getting the 8gb which is pretty much the standard. I haven't seen a 16gb EDGE iPhone go for as low as $450. Looking at eBay, it appears they average around $700 new. Used ones go for less, but I don't think you really want a used one.

An iPhone 3G 16gb + the plan difference is $660. It's too much hassle to try and get an EDGE iPhone 16gb for that much. The 3G iPhone has several features over the EDGE one besides 3G: GPS, much better and louder speakers, no recessed headphone jack, better reception due to losing the metal casing, improved battery life (when using EDGE, at least), etc.

And plus, you will be able to use your employee discount.
It's thinking...
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Yeah, I surfed Ebay for a little bit, but I think I'll just do the 3G one anyway. It's cheaper for the 16GB, which I absolutely have to have, plus it comes in white. Either way I still have to wait two weeks to get it, or at least that's what they told me at the ATT store. I just wish they would have gave me a straight answer about my discount. They pretty much just told me to try it and hope it works. Does your discount cover the whole bill, or just the voice part (since IIRC you said you had your student discount on yours)?
Lunchbox
1337 Food Container
1337 Food Container
Been thanked: 0

Post by Lunchbox »

If you're only in it for the built-in MP3 playback you should probably look around a bit first. Many phones these days do have integrated MP3 playback for a lower price (although you lose a lot of the iphone functionality obviously). When I renewed my contract with my provider in December I was able to grab a Sony erricsson w580i + 8GB micro SD card for $50 total. The thing plays MP3s, videos, java software from the net, custom mp3 ringtones, camera, etc.

See what other phone packages your provider offers first is all I'm saying
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

I need the 16GB, though. Actually, I would like a little more, but 16GB is the absolute lowest I can even go. So until they release 16GB Micro SD cards and phones that support them, the iPhone is pretty much my only option in that respect.

But of course, there are other reasons too. Like the fact that my car is completely set up for my iPod, and I would have to rewire everything if I were to switch to something non-iPod. I also really love gaming on portable devices, and the iPhone's capabilities are quite impressive.

I wasn't really excited about the whole data plan requirement, but there are a ton of times that I'm out shopping and think to myself, "I wish I could look this up online to see price comparisons/reviews" or, "I wish I remembered where that place was that my friend took me to a couple of weeks ago". With an iPhone, I could look stuff up anywhere. Plus it would also work at my mom's house, who's only internet option is 33.6k dialup. She bugs me to find stuff online for her all the time, and I could just whip out my iPhone and find it much faster than on her computer.

So yeah, what started out as a 'iPod and cell phone combined in one' kinda snowballed into a 'handheld computer' for me, and I think I'd like to have that.