The Dark Knight (possible spoilers ahead)

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
AgentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

The Dark Knight (possible spoilers ahead)

Post by AgentGreen »

So today I went to see Hellboy 2 (not as good as the first one, but still entertaining) and The Dark Knight.

All I can say is WOW. Not only was it a visually striking movie but it was quite inventive in concept and writing.

Heath Ledger was sickeningly charming as the Joker. His performance absolutely trumps Jack Nicholson's in the 1989 movie. It's a real shame he's not with us anymore. As a fan of his, I can say that this was the best performance of his career and I hope he wins some awards for it. I look forward to The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus in hopes he was as good in that as he was in this.

Aaron Eckhardt, wonderful as Dent/Two-Face. It's a real shame they killed him though, I would've enjoyed another sequel opportunity.

I enjoyed Maggie Gyllenhall better than Katie Holmes as Rachel Dawes, but I never thought Kat was exactly a talented actress to begin with. It's a shame they killed her too, but I guess it leaves an open option for a new love interest in a possible sequel. Maybe Catwoman, but I think Michelle Pfeiffer's Catwoman was unbeatable.
S. Thompson
The Fuzmeister
The Fuzmeister

Re: The Dark Knight (possible spoilers ahead)

Post by S. Thompson »

Saw it last night and I was pleased. I'd give it a nearly perfect rating with a few exceptions... This may be a pet peeve of mine, but why does Bale insist on doing the Batman voice like Macho Man Randy Savage? I can't take him seriously at all as Batman when he talks. Another little annoyance was length. I don't know if I would've waited to introduce Two Face or what, but it felt like near the end the focus definitely shifted.

Loved Ledger though... I was quite apprehensive when I first heard he would assume the role of Joker in this one. I don't even know if it's fair to say he was in this movie since every time he's on screen, I don't see Ledger, I see Joker. Awesome, awesome performance. I got a laugh / chill out of his "do you want to see a magic trick?" scene near the beginning. Every scene he was in, he was the master of... what a great portrayal of an iconic villain. It's really a shame a the end, Joker's reign of terror just kind of... ends. There isn't much closure to his character.

Overall, this is probably going to be the best film of the year - it is the best I've seen so far and I'd highly recommend it.

- Fuzmeister
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC

Post by Roofus »

All I care about is this: Did Cheatah like it?
AgentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen

Post by AgentGreen »

Dunno... did they pay him money?
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

Thought Hellboy 2 was miles ahead of the original.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
AgentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen

Post by AgentGreen »

It seemed to lack the feel of the original and ventured more into high-fantasy rather than supernatural/paranormal stuff. Things didn't seem to fit as well as they did in the first one.

They included Johann Kraus and did an awesome job with his appearance, which was cool... Though I didn't like how they changed the spelling of his name to Krauss for no other reason than to just to do that little "SS" joke.
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

I've been dying to see The Dark Knight since it was announced. Batman Begins is one of my favourite movies.
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Covar »

AgentGreen wrote:So today I went to see Hellboy 2 (not as good as the first one, but still entertaining) and The Dark Knight.

All I can say is WOW. Not only was it a visually striking movie but it was quite inventive in concept and writing.

Heath Ledger was sickeningly charming as the Joker. His performance absolutely trumps Jack Nicholson's in the 1989 movie. It's a real shame he's not with us anymore. As a fan of his, I can say that this was the best performance of his career and I hope he wins some awards for it. I look forward to The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus in hopes he was as good in that as he was in this.

Aaron Eckhardt, wonderful as Dent/Two-Face. It's a real shame they killed him though, I would've enjoyed another sequel opportunity.

I enjoyed Maggie Gyllenhall better than Katie Holmes as Rachel Dawes, but I never thought Kat was exactly a talented actress to begin with. It's a shame they killed her too, but I guess it leaves an open option for a new love interest in a possible sequel. Maybe Catwoman, but I think Michelle Pfeiffer's Catwoman was unbeatable.
I agree that Ledger did an excellent job as Joker. Indeed much better than Nicholson although that wouldn't have taken much as he did an absolutely piss poor job as the Joker, probably the worst next to the batman
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

AgentGreen wrote:It seemed to lack the feel of the original and ventured more into high-fantasy rather than supernatural/paranormal stuff. Things didn't seem to fit as well as they did in the first one.

They included Johann Kraus and did an awesome job with his appearance, which was cool... Though I didn't like how they changed the spelling of his name to Krauss for no other reason than to just to do that little "SS" joke.

I'm assuming you haven't seen Pan's Labyrinth.
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

Fun movie. Prolly the best action movie of the year. The Joker was good. But I don't remember Batman Begins being this cheesy.

I can only describe it as

SPIDERBAT
AgentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen

Post by AgentGreen »

Jeeba Jabba wrote:
AgentGreen wrote:It seemed to lack the feel of the original and ventured more into high-fantasy rather than supernatural/paranormal stuff. Things didn't seem to fit as well as they did in the first one.

Actually I have and enjoyed it quite a bit. What's your point?
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

AgentGreen wrote:
Jeeba Jabba wrote:

Actually I have and enjoyed it quite a bit. What's your point?

Just thought you would appreciate Guillermo del Toro.
AgentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen

Post by AgentGreen »

I do appreciate him. It's the story him and Mignola came up with for this movie that irks me.

I realize the later parts of the comic series ventures more into some high fantasy/mythology stuff but that was kind of a slow transition. Here we have the first movie where they fight a sorceror and try to stop the apocalypse, second movie they're beating up trolls and elves to stop some clockwork army.
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

It was everything that I expected. I really liked it, until I puked at the end (literally). Some British guy kept feeding jodka (Jack + Vodka) the night before. The next day, all I ate was popcorn and cherry coke. Let's just say, I didn't leave with any of the food I had bought.

Well, that was off topic. Go see The Dark Knight!
S. Thompson
The Fuzmeister
The Fuzmeister

Post by S. Thompson »

pixel wrote:It was everything that I expected. I really liked it, until I puked at the end (literally). Some British guy kept feeding jodka (Jack + Vodka) the night before. The next day, all I ate was popcorn and cherry coke. Let's just say, I didn't leave with any of the food I had bought.

Well, that was off topic. Go see The Dark Knight!
Best. Review. Ever! :lol: :lol:

- Fuzmeister
AgentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen

Post by AgentGreen »

The "magic trick" scene is so priceless. People keep uploading it to youtube and I never get tired of it :lol:
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

I'm going to go see it tomorrow. I just watched Batman Begins for the first time on Monday just to prepare myself for this movie. It's the first time we've been to the theater this year, so I'm pretty excited.
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by mrandyk »

The movie went on 45 minutes to an hour longer than I thought it was going to go. I thought for sure that the hospital scene was going to be the end of the movie, it wouldve set up the sequel so well with the two villans working together. It is for the better that never happened since they lost their Joker.

Best Batman movie, and best movie of the year so far.
S. Thompson
The Fuzmeister
The Fuzmeister

Post by S. Thompson »

I think I was most bothered by the lack of closure on Joker... I heard a rumor that he died in the original cut, but out of respect for Heath, this was removed.

Joker was an incredible villain, but the lack of closure was truly a weak link in the film.

- Fuzmeister
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Finally saw it tonight. It was a spectacular movie that brought way more to the table than I was expecting. Never has a movie made me question my own sense of morality than this one, especially at the boat scene. Very intense movie, but definitely worth the admission.

My wife, on the other hand, hated it and nearly walked out of the movie. As she put it, "it's the worst piece of trash I've ever had to sit through." She thought Batman Begins was decent, so I don't know what her problem with this movie was.
S. Thompson wrote:I think I was most bothered by the lack of closure on Joker... I heard a rumor that he died in the original cut, but out of respect for Heath, this was removed.
I assumed it had to be something like that. It just...ended. Like they didn't know what to do with him, so they just cut it off.

I was also bothered by how short the whole Two-Face thing was. They spend 2/3 of the movie building up Harvey Dent's character, then gave Two-Face a couple of scenes, then killed him off.