Mobile phone thread

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Re: Mobile phone thread

Post by |darc| »

bout 7 hours later im out of the store and very angry with apple

will explain later

did get the phone though
It's thinking...
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by emptythought »

I have a crappy everyday cell phone. It plays Java games and I think that's it.
Code-Red
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Code-Red »

ROFL @ suckers standing in line for a phone. They were outside Rogers in Toronto since 4pm yesterday to get an iPhone.

I'm sorry, but nothing scream "I bend over for a company" like standing in line for a product. You'll never catch me doing that, unless it's free.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Code-Red wrote:ROFL @ suckers standing in line for a phone. They were outside Rogers in Toronto since 4pm yesterday to get an iPhone.

I'm sorry, but nothing scream "I bend over for a company" like standing in line for a product. You'll never catch me doing that, unless it's free.
This was better than free, I got $200 out of upgrading.

Original iPhone is still in huge demand from people on non-Apple GSM providers. Anyone in a country that doesn't have the iPhone or is locked into a contract with another provider only has the option of buying an unlocked iPhone. Since the new iPhone is not yet unlockable and you have to sign a contract with AT&T before you can leave the store, it's pretty much impossible to sell this thing to someone in another country. Thus even though the new iPhone is $200, I sold my original for $420.

I had to ship off my iPhone quickly, and to avoid being without a phone, I had to buy a phone ASAP. I was afraid to not wait in line because if there was a sellout, I would be without a phone until they got back in stock. And I couldn't stick my SIM card in another phone and use that temporarily because 1) I don't have another GSM phone laying around and 2) there were rumors that using another phone would make you a non-iPhone user on your AT&T account and therefore I'd be ineligible to upgrade at this point in my contract. I would have much preferred to walk in next week and get one, but unfortunately I had to go there today to make sure I got one.

The iPhone plans also went up with the new iPhone (+$10 for the data plan and the texts are no longer included, but unlike the old iPhone plan, they allow corporate and student discounts now, so my plan is actually less than my old one (LSU offers a 15% discount and 400 free texts per month).

So all in all by doing this bullshit, I made about $200 after factoring in taxes and shipping my old phone to Puerto Rico, as well as $.50 or so less per month than my current bill.

I was just really pissed with Apple because after standing line for 7 hours, they told me I had to go to an AT&T store to buy an iPhone because a had a student discount applied to my iPhone. They were only dealing with regular plans, not special plans. In December I tried to apply for a student discount, which I was accepted for and it was applied to my account, but since the iPhone plan I had was ineligible for a discount, it applied a $0 discount to my phone. So because I had a $0 discount, they told me I had to go to AT&T. I refused and the guy who was selling me the phone had me call AT&T on the phone and remove the $0 discount. The first time I called I got some jackass who said "yeah, we can remove that discount, but you have to go to an AT&T store to get that done." I was pretty infuriated at this point and hung up on him, but the Apple employee dug around and got the AT&T business number and I called that one and the woman who answered the phone removed it immediately. Fuckers.
It's thinking...
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

Secured mine today. I just couldn't justify camping out for an iPhone, so I just set up my account by the phone. I should get my phone by Monday or Tuesday. The best part? I don't have to let some Rogers retail slob rub his grubby mitts all over my new phone.

In the end I basically got the same deal I have now, but with unlimited incoming, a couple of discounts and my activation fee waived.

I'm also selling my HTC Touch for $200 to a guy I work with, making my iPhone free.

And some of the app store apps look incredible. Midomi for example can recognize a tune and "guess" what the name and artist is. It works with ambient music, but you can also sing or hum and it will pick it up. Perfect for those times when you hear a song somewhere and even though you know a few of the words and a general tune, it still drives you to the brink of insanity trying to find it again.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

ace wrote:Secured mine today. I just couldn't justify camping out for an iPhone, so I just set up my account by the phone. I should get my phone by Monday or Tuesday. The best part? I don't have to let some Rogers retail slob rub his grubby mitts all over my new phone.

In the end I basically got the same deal I have now, but with unlimited incoming, a couple of discounts and my activation fee waived.

I'm also selling my HTC Touch for $200 to a guy I work with, making my iPhone free.

And some of the app store apps look incredible. Midomi for example can recognize a tune and "guess" what the name and artist is. It works with ambient music, but you can also sing or hum and it will pick it up. Perfect for those times when you hear a song somewhere and even though you know a few of the words and a general tune, it still drives you to the brink of insanity trying to find it again.
At the Apple store here after having so much trouble with Apple's servers, after you sign the contract, they let you choose whether or not you want to activate in store. I chose to activate at home, so I got to take the pristine box home and unbox myself. A lot of people had activation trouble today but I plugged it in and it immediately worked. :dontknow:
It's thinking...
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

Delete my post but leave your " look at me im standing in line like an idiot " posts

doucebag.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

|darc| wrote:
ace wrote:Secured mine today. I just couldn't justify camping out for an iPhone, so I just set up my account by the phone. I should get my phone by Monday or Tuesday. The best part? I don't have to let some Rogers retail slob rub his grubby mitts all over my new phone.

At the Apple store here after having so much trouble with Apple's servers, after you sign the contract, they let you choose whether or not you want to activate in store. I chose to activate at home, so I got to take the pristine box home and unbox myself. A lot of people had activation trouble today but I plugged it in and it immediately worked. :dontknow:
It's an apple product. As ridiculous as it sounds a big part of buying an Apple product is the unboxing (queue flames). And besides, with the iPhone 3G being especially fingerprint magnetic, I really don't want someone else touching it before me.
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC

Post by Roofus »

Wagh wrote:Delete my post but leave your " look at me im standing in line like an idiot " posts

doucebag.

I waited in line for 3 days to get my Zune.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Wagh wrote:Delete my post but leave your " look at me im standing in line like an idiot " posts

doucebag.

I don't think I understand this post; are you saying you made a post in this thread and it was deleted? Because the moderator logs don't have anything of the sort...
It's thinking...
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

I have a Nokia N95 8GB and am pretty satisfied with it. Outside of the basic phone features the most important things to me are video/music/camera and the thing seems to do all of those things to an acceptable standard.

I just wish Nokia would start packaging more (and better) software with their phones - especially the more expensive models. Why make a high-end phone capable of playing high-quality DivX movies if you're only going to give the most gimped out version of Realplayer ever with some god-awful encoding software?

Why give me space for hundreds of music files, but give me software that crashes if I try to add hundreds of music files to the library at once.

"Here is a really great piece of hardware - but you'll have to give even more money to other companies if you want to get the most out of it."
Polymira
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Polymira »

Went in and placed an order for my 16GB black 3g iPhone today... I won't get it for up to 10 buis days.... lame I know. But they will email me when it leaves the warehouse, and email n call me when it gets to the store.

Apparently the only corp att store in my county got 10 8GB iPhones and that is IT. Fucking rediculous.
--pSyCo
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

BoneyCork wrote:I have a Nokia N95 8GB and am pretty satisfied with it. Outside of the basic phone features the most important things to me are video/music/camera and the thing seems to do all of those things to an acceptable standard.

I just wish Nokia would start packaging more (and better) software with their phones - especially the more expensive models. Why make a high-end phone capable of playing high-quality DivX movies if you're only going to give the most gimped out version of Realplayer ever with some god-awful encoding software?

Why give me space for hundreds of music files, but give me software that crashes if I try to add hundreds of music files to the library at once.

"Here is a really great piece of hardware - but you'll have to give even more money to other companies if you want to get the most out of it."
This is basically why I held out on cool mobile phones until the iPhone came out. Yes, there are phones that can do much more than the iPhone can, but the iPhone has the best interface and usability.
It's thinking...
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

|darc| wrote:
BoneyCork wrote:I have a Nokia N95 8GB and am pretty satisfied with it. Outside of the basic phone features the most important things to me are video/music/camera and the thing seems to do all of those things to an acceptable standard.

This is basically why I held out on cool mobile phones until the iPhone came out. Yes, there are phones that can do much more than the iPhone can, but the iPhone has the best interface and usability.
QFT. My HTC Touch does everything the iPhone does, but it's the way the iPhone does it that makes it stand head and shoulders above most other smartphones - even those with touch screens and finger-friendly gestures like the HTC Touch.
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

MMS support will no doubt be added through the App Store. I really can't imagine MMS being a make or break feature for someone. Especially considering you can now upload your photos in real time to all manner of social networking sites.
Mark30001
Mark30001
Mark30001

Post by Mark30001 »

I never thought I'd be saying this, but at that price I'd like an iPhone (3G) now. Of course I'd have to wait till my AT&T contract expires in a few months, unless I can still get it at $200 (which I'll research later). As long as I know that it won't start to glitch & fuckup within the first few months like all of my previous phones (including my Samsung BlackJack), even when handled with proper care & usage, I'm pretty much dead set on getting this phone.
JuddWack
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by JuddWack »

Just curious but does anyone here play mobile phone games? I really used to look down on them until I realized how difficult they are to develop. For those interested, I know there are a lot puzzle quest fans here and we put out a really kick ass version.
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

link?
JuddWack
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by JuddWack »

I don't know if I can post a link but you can download a demo from THQ Wireless's website.

Unfortunately no iPhone version Ace :(
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

There is actually a Puzzle Quest-esque game out free in the app store called Aurora Feint. It's not as grand in size as Puzzle Quest but it's just as addictive.