Website dev help

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Website dev help

Post by Quzar »

So I've got someone who wants me to make them a website. The most I've ever done in this area was html in notepad, some of yahoo's old wysiwyg geocities editor, and a year of school projects with Frontpage (2000 or 2002). This lady wants me to set up a pay-per-minute/subscription based streaming webcam site. I've found several packages that do exactly that, but definetly need advice on the actual page creation aspect (I really really don't want to try and do it in notepad).

So, can anyone suggest a free IDE for such things?

If anyone has experience with any packages to create such a site, please speak up as well.

Thanks a bunch guys.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Website dev help

Post by curt_grymala »

Unfortunately, I still have little-to-no experience with webcam sites, but I can recommend a decent editor for you, if you are using Linux.

BlueFish is a good code editor (for more than just HTML) with code snippets, etc. built into it. It doesn't have any WYSIWYG capabilities, though, if you're looking for that.
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

You can install Dreamweaver 8 in Linux under Wine, and it works great. Wine-Doors will auto-configure things for you, but unfortunately the site is down? Probably someone forgot to pay a bill.

Kompozer also works ok as WYSIWYG, but removes a lot of formatting so be warned that you'll need to format it if you ever decide you want to look at how the html works.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

I'll look around at Dreamweaver a bit. I am exclusively running Windows XP though, so other such nix tools won't be all that helpful. Thanks, I'll keep searching.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

Quzar wrote:I'll look around at Dreamweaver a bit. I am exclusively running Windows XP though, so other such nix tools won't be all that helpful. Thanks, I'll keep searching.
Dreamweaver takes a lot of getting used to, but it's actually a very nice program. Be careful with DW's script snippets, though, as they're rather outdated and cumbersome. The only problem I have with using Dreamweaver for personal stuff is the prohibitive price. Other than that, I would have no qualms using Dreamweaver outside of work.
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.