Byzantine Empire = Medieval Roman Empire

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Kaiser
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Byzantine Empire = Medieval Roman Empire

Post by Kaiser »

This is going to be one large argument I imagine.

I try to prove:
The Byzantine Empire is the continuation of the Eastern Roman Empire in the medieval age.

|darc|.....
AgentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen

Re: Byzantine Empire = Medieval Roman Empire

Post by AgentGreen »

You sound like someone who just wandered out of their high-school sophomore class and got a wild hare up their ass to come post about it on an internet forum.
Kaiser
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Kaiser »

I suppose it comes off like that with such a random topic being my first post/thread. :P

Darc and myself were arguing about it on IRC for awhile last night and I decided to make a thread for it. I'm too stubborn to lose this one like our other debate.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Nice to see you around these parts, Kaiser. Especially since I don't intend on going back to dcemu.co.uk until wraggster straightens out.
Mark30001
Mark30001
Mark30001

Post by Mark30001 »

Well wtf happened to the staff forum there? It points to Wikipedia's Bible entry (not even kidding lol).
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Mark30001 wrote:Well wtf happened to the staff forum there? It points to Wikipedia's Bible entry (not even kidding lol).
Heh. That's pretty funny actually, and not the first time that something like that has happened (a couple of forums there directed to some odd site a couple of weeks ago).
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

Let me add fuel to the fire. How about the thought that the European Union is/will become a new Roman Empire.
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC

Post by Roofus »

butters wrote:Let me add fuel to the fire. How about the thought that the European Union is/will become a new Roman Empire.

Why does it have to be a new Roman Empire? There have been many empires since Rome. A lot of them more successful too.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

Roofus wrote:
butters wrote:Let me add fuel to the fire. How about the thought that the European Union is/will become a new Roman Empire.

Why does it have to be a new Roman Empire? There have been many empires since Rome. A lot of them more successful too.
How do you define success? In size, I'd say yes, there have certainly been bigger empires. I'm not so sure you could say so in longevity, depending on when you want to label the empire's death.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover

Post by butters »

Roofus wrote:

Can you think of another empire that had as great of an effect on culture?
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

butters wrote:Can you think of another empire that had as great of an effect on culture?
The extent of effect on culture is subjective, but what about the British Empire? In particular, the English language is quite widespread (IIRC estimated at third in number of native speakers after Mandarin and Spanish, and first in number of total speakers). Some of that can probably be ascribed to the US's post-WW2 "superpower" status, but I'm pretty sure it was the British Empire that got the ball rolling.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover

Post by butters »

Ex-Cyber wrote:
butters wrote:Can you think of another empire that had as great of an effect on culture?
The extent of effect on culture is subjective, but what about the British Empire? In particular, the English language is quite widespread (IIRC estimated at third in number of native speakers after Mandarin and Spanish, and first in number of total speakers). Some of that can probably be ascribed to the US's post-WW2 "superpower" status, but I'm pretty sure it was the British Empire that got the ball rolling.
My understanding is that Greece and Rome formed the foundation of western civilization, but it's been quite some time since I've taken a history class.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

butters wrote:
Ex-Cyber wrote:
My understanding is that Greece and Rome formed the foundation of western civilization, but it's been quite some time since I've taken a history class.
Like I said, it's subjective; does the influence of the Catholic Church in the wake of the empire's downfall count, for example? The answer to that kind of question totally changes the picture.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Roofus

Post by Roofus »

butters wrote:
Roofus wrote:

Can you think of another empire that had as great of an effect on culture?
The British Empire had a pretty profound effect on India. You can also trace many of the Middle East's and Africa's problems back to it.
S. Thompson
The Fuzmeister
The Fuzmeister

Post by S. Thompson »

The Ottoman Empire is supremely underrated.

- Fuzmeister
Kaiser
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Kaiser »

Seems the argument died before it began. Well next time me and darc have a history related argument over IRC (which will most certainly happen) I'll keep this thread in mind and link it to him.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

Well, as it existed, the Byzantine Empire was the Roman Empire. The term 'Byzantine Empire' wasn't coined until the 1700-1800s by a certain philosopher whose name escapes me right now.

In its time, the people and government of the empire were simply referred to by the rest of Europe as, 'the Greeks' and 'the Emperor'.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

S. Thompson wrote:The Ottoman Empire is supremely underrated.

- Fuzmeister

Granted, but it left no cultural imprint on the lands it touched (with the exception of Islam in the balkans). It was more like an extended military junta, whose offices and capital moved with whomever was in power. It wasn't extremely stable, but it was definitely one of the biggest empires in our world's history. I could almost respect it if they hadn't completely neglected all of the ancient wonders of Greece and Egypt.

If you are really interested in the Ottoman Empire, I'd suggest a book by Colin Timber. It's a rigid read, but will satisfy anyone's thirst for knowledge on how the Ottoman government and army really functioned and operated.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe