NFL Playoffs

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Re: NFL Playoffs

Post by |darc| »

toastman wrote:From what I've read about the "taping" scandal.

Big deal.

Like you couldn't hire someone to transcribe those motions instead of video taping. Plus, most teams only play each other once. Sometimes twice depending if they are in the same division or two playoff bound teams meet in the regular season. Rarely three.

I honestly don't see the advantage of knowing those signals. Plus, it's not like the Patriots haven't caught people watching them, they just didn't find out who.
The taping scandal doesn't stop at recording signals, though. There are serious allegations that the Patriots recorded their Super Bowl opponents' walkthroughs as well. These rumors are all magnified by how shady the NFL is being right now concerning the evidence.

Honestly, I'm just glad the Patriots have been brought back to Earth. Several teams have come really close to what they've accomplished (72 Dolphins (16-0), 85 Bears (18-1), 98 Vikings (17-2), 04 Pittsburgh Steelers (16-2), etc.) The Patriots are a great team*, and they have been for years. But their record this year is only one or two games above what several other teams have done many times in years past. If their taping work made the difference in just one game win, they are just another great team, not the greatest team of all time like people were claiming before the Superbowl. I don't know the strength of those teams' schedules, but the Pats this year had four nearly-unloseable games (Jets and Dolphins twice).
It's thinking...
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by mrandyk »

The Pats 4 games against the Dolphins and Jets coupled with their near loses to the Eagles, Colts, Ravens, and Giants show they are clearly not the greatest ever. The greatest team ever dominates bad teams like the Eagles and Ravens, the Ravens lost to the Dolphins! How do you almost lose to that?

And if this video that came out of the Rams before they played the Pats comes out to be true, then a big ol * can be placed on all of their championships. Man I hate this team.
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Covar »

|darc| wrote:

Big deal.

Like you couldn't hire someone to transcribe those motions instead of video taping. Plus, most teams only play each other once. Sometimes twice depending if they are in the same division or two playoff bound teams meet in the regular season. Rarely three.

I honestly don't see the advantage of knowing those signals. Plus, it's not like the Patriots haven't caught people watching them, they just didn't find out who.
The taping scandal doesn't stop at recording signals, though. There are serious allegations that the Patriots recorded their Super Bowl opponents' walkthroughs as well. These rumors are all magnified by how shady the NFL is being right now concerning the evidence.

Honestly, I'm just glad the Patriots have been brought back to Earth. Several teams have come really close to what they've accomplished (72 Dolphins (16-0), 85 Bears (18-1), 98 Vikings (17-2), 04 Pittsburgh Steelers (16-2), etc.) The Patriots are a great team*, and they have been for years. But their record this year is only one or two games above what several other teams have done many times in years past. If their taping work made the difference in just one game win, they are just another great team, not the greatest team of all time like people were claiming before the Superbowl. I don't know the strength of those teams' schedules, but the Pats this year had four nearly-unloseable games (Jets and Dolphins twice).
you should make that six. the bills had a really shitty year. IMO its easy to have a good record when you're the one good team in the worst conference in the nfl.
mariobro
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mariobro »

Speaking of the Bills, I remember John Madden once saying that, in his opinion, the 90s Bills were the best football team in history. It's almost impossible to get to 4 Super Bowls in a row. Sure they lost in all of them, but they were facing some pretty tough teams, that DIDN'T choke on the big game. That's what great teams do. They rape other great teams in regular season, and in playoffs. Given that, I don't thnk you can even compare the Patriots to the 90s Dallas Cowboys. Now THAT was an amazing offensive line.
"Until I finally made it, life was kinda hit or miss...
And I'd love to talk philosophy, but I gotta take a piss"
-David Lee Roth
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by mrandyk »

I feel real bad for the people on those 4 teams. Pure torture to make it to the big game and blow it every time. Didnt they lose by like 40 to the Cowboys in their 4th one?
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

|darc| wrote:

Big deal.

I'm going to plea ignorance and ask what is a walkthrough? I've seen it mentioned several times, but never described.
No signature.
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

toastman wrote:
|darc| wrote:

Big deal.

I'm going to plea ignorance and ask what is a walkthrough? I've seen it mentioned several times, but never described.
It's when you walk through or go about quarter speed through the plays in practice rather than going full speed. It helps to learn where to go, who to block, etc. It lets the coaches stop all the action anytime and go over what someone should have done. An example before a game would be having the defense lined up like the opponent's would and the coaches going over the situations that might arise.
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

butters wrote:
toastman wrote:
|darc| wrote:

Big deal.

It's when you walk through or go about quarter speed through the plays in practice rather than going full speed. It helps to learn where to go, who to block, etc. It lets the coaches stop all the action anytime and go over what someone should have done. An example before a game would be having the defense lined up like the opponent's would and the coaches going over the situations that might arise.
Ok, that would be bad. I can see how that can be used by a team.
No signature.