Anyone watch college football?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
User avatar
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster
Posts: 16220
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2001 6:00 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 15 times
Contact:

Anyone watch college football?

Post by |darc| » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:28 am

This is probably a long shot, but I was wondering if anyone here watched college football, or really football in general. This season I've gotten into football a lot, and my university's team is currently ranked #2 and playing in the National Championship tomorrow.

Ohio State is going down! :)
It's thinking...
User avatar
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan
Posts: 2990
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2002 8:06 am
Location: Cary, NC
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

Re: Anyone watch college football?

Post by Covar » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:10 am

I mostly just follow the NFL because my school (NCSU) is a much better basketball team. That said i'll probably be rooting for LSU tomorrow.

also GIANTS WON THE WILDCARD GAME!!!!!1!
User avatar
Wagh
Wagh
Posts: 5742
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2002 7:59 pm
Location: YSOH
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

Re: Anyone watch college football?

Post by Wagh » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:27 am

What evs

Atleast OSU will score first.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
User avatar
that_guy
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran
Posts: 1042
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2003 11:32 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

Re: Anyone watch college football?

Post by that_guy » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:02 am

I'm a huge college football fan, I use to write about it over at pbreview before I got banned. :lol:

As far as the game tonight, I don't see it really being a game. I mean come on, last year Ohio State was destroyed by Florida and they don't have the caliber players that they had last year. They lost to Illinois who was completely destroyed by USC. Ohio State came into this season ranked higher than what they should of been, but those stupid preseason pickers think they know it all and what happened, they got everything wrong.

LSU being there? Being the only 2 loss team in the history of the BCS to make it to the championship? Jumping Georgia who was higher ranked in the BCS before the SEC Championship? Yes, I called LSU as one of my preseason picks to run the table and go undefeated. They lost 2 games, but the SEC is without a doubt the best/strongest conference in college football. It has been that way for the past 7 or so years and I don't see that changing in the near future. Of course with a schedule like each of these teams has someone isn't going to go undefeated. If they do, then that is a team that needs a place in the all time greatest teams of college football history. So yes, I do think LSU should be exactly where they are. Ohio State on the other hand? The no counting losers in the Big 10 with 11 teams, no they are going to be outmatched in every aspect of tonights game.

If infact I am wrong, then I will say it. However, I don't see a loss being handed to LSU by the likes of this season's Ohio State team. If it happens, someone was paid off. Oh and before anyone says something, I am not an LSU fan but infact a lifelong Longhorn, but I know a good team when I see one and I know an outclassed team when I see one.

Roll Tide Roll
User avatar
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster
Posts: 16220
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2001 6:00 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 15 times
Contact:

Re: Anyone watch college football?

Post by |darc| » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:31 pm

Covar wrote:also GIANTS WON THE WILDCARD GAME!!!!!1!
Yeah, I saw that--I was happy, too. Of course with the Saints-Bucs rivalry there was no way I'd root for the Bucs, but after the Giants-Patriots game last week, I definitely feel inclined to root for the Giants. The Giants had nothing to play for but they still played their asses off against the Patriots, and that is definitely worthy of respect. I'd like to see them go all the way, to be honest.
that_guy wrote:As far as the game tonight, I don't see it really being a game. I mean come on, last year Ohio State was destroyed by Florida and they don't have the caliber players that they had last year. They lost to Illinois who was completely destroyed by USC. Ohio State came into this season ranked higher than what they should of been, but those stupid preseason pickers think they know it all and what happened, they got everything wrong.

LSU being there? Being the only 2 loss team in the history of the BCS to make it to the championship? Jumping Georgia who was higher ranked in the BCS before the SEC Championship? Yes, I called LSU as one of my preseason picks to run the table and go undefeated. They lost 2 games, but the SEC is without a doubt the best/strongest conference in college football. It has been that way for the past 7 or so years and I don't see that changing in the near future. Of course with a schedule like each of these teams has someone isn't going to go undefeated. If they do, then that is a team that needs a place in the all time greatest teams of college football history. So yes, I do think LSU should be exactly where they are. Ohio State on the other hand? The no counting losers in the Big 10 with 11 teams, no they are going to be outmatched in every aspect of tonights game.

If infact I am wrong, then I will say it. However, I don't see a loss being handed to LSU by the likes of this season's Ohio State team. If it happens, someone was paid off. Oh and before anyone says something, I am not an LSU fan but infact a lifelong Longhorn, but I know a good team when I see one and I know an outclassed team when I see one.

Roll Tide Roll
Yeah, I pretty much agree on all points there. I don't think OSU is a bad team, but they really haven't shown anything in my opinion that suggests that they should be #1. Their schedule was also weak as hell: they never even played a team ranked in the top 20 at the time of the game.
It's thinking...
User avatar
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Posts: 5088
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2002 6:50 pm
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

Re: Anyone watch college football?

Post by butters » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:43 pm

I'm going for LSU, simply because I can't stand the Big 10 conference. They don't even play a conference championship, yet they get included in the national championship. I've never understood that. On top of that, the Big 10 commissioner is one of the biggest defenders of the BCS fiasco system. I want playoffs! Especially after a year like this one.
User avatar
that_guy
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran
Posts: 1042
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2003 11:32 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

Re: Anyone watch college football?

Post by that_guy » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:06 pm

Something I have thought about - Keep the bowls but place the playoff system in. The bowl games is where the quater,semi, and championship game will be played at. 32 total bowls were played this year. Let's half this to 16 bowls where the top 32 teams play eachother. Bowls will be decided by bidding, then the playoff system implemented. The two teams that survive will be in the BCS Championship game, where even the number 32 team has a chance at playing in the championship game. That's just my thoughts though. Makes me wish I knew a higher up in the NCAA to run this by them.

On a side note I always found it funny that Pete Carroll was against the playoff system until his precious Trojans were robbed a few years back with the championship game played between OU and LSU. He cried to high heaven for a playoff system after that happened. Speaking of that, OU shouldn't of even been in that game with the loss to Kansas State in the Big 12 Championship game./rant
User avatar
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Posts: 5088
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2002 6:50 pm
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

Re: Anyone watch college football?

Post by butters » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:58 pm

I'm for a 16 team playoff with each conference, even the mid majors, getting a seed, then filling the rest from at large teams. The other teams can play a bowl game, kind of like how in basketball you have playoffs, but you also have the NIT.
User avatar
that_guy
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran
Posts: 1042
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2003 11:32 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

Re: Anyone watch college football?

Post by that_guy » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:01 pm

The only bad thing is that someone is always going to complain. If there is 16 teams then if it goes by ranking #17 is going to complain about 16 not being enough or not being fair. Same goes for my 32 though, #33 is going to complain.
User avatar
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Posts: 5088
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2002 6:50 pm
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

Re: Anyone watch college football?

Post by butters » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:16 pm

One more thing that would be cool. NFL-style home field advantages for the top seeds except for the championship game.
User avatar
that_guy
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran
Posts: 1042
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2003 11:32 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

Re: Anyone watch college football?

Post by that_guy » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:19 pm

Hey butters, I went up against TTU's paintball team yesterday at my home field here in Midland. Needless to say they are pretty good and I got my ass handed to me. :lol:
User avatar
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Posts: 5088
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2002 6:50 pm
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

Re: Anyone watch college football?

Post by butters » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:32 pm

That's pretty neat. How's things in the oil country?
User avatar
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster
Posts: 16220
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2001 6:00 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 15 times
Contact:

Re: Anyone watch college football?

Post by |darc| » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:59 pm

LSU WINS!
It's thinking...
User avatar
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster
Posts: 1629
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:31 pm
Location: Stalking
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Anyone watch college football?

Post by mrandyk » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:32 pm

butters wrote:I'm going for LSU, simply because I can't stand the Big 10 conference. They don't even play a conference championship, yet they get included in the national championship. I've never understood that. On top of that, the Big 10 commissioner is one of the biggest defenders of the BCS fiasco system. I want playoffs! Especially after a year like this one.
I fully believe all the BCS conferences should have a conference championship. I find it odd that you bash the Big 10 for not having a championship and still have a team in the national championship. What about USC and the Pac 10? What about West Virginia in the Big East (wouldve played instead of LSU but somehow lost to Pitt)? People always do this to Ohio State in the Big 10, but never the other teams.

As for the game tonight, I tuned in part way into the game and was amazed to see OSU up 10-0. The game still turned out much closer than I thought it would. I think the real winner at the end of the day is Nebraska for getting Bo Pellini back! Maybe the Huskers will take down Oklahoma next year and I can stop living in shame about being a fan of the Huskers and how they havent won a really big game in about 6 years.
Image
User avatar
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster
Posts: 1629
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:31 pm
Location: Stalking
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Anyone watch college football?

Post by mrandyk » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:33 pm

Also...GIANTS BLOW, GO COWBOYS!!!
Image
Synlor
Official DCEMU Stalker
Official DCEMU Stalker
Posts: 1604
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 6:26 pm
Location: South Dakota
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

Re: Anyone watch college football?

Post by Synlor » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:42 pm

mrandyk wrote:
butters wrote:I think the real winner at the end of the day is Nebraska for getting Bo Pellini back! Maybe the Huskers will take down Oklahoma next year and I can stop living in shame about being a fan of the Huskers and how they havent won a really big game in about 6 years.
Pellini may be good, but I doubt he can rescue the Huskers by the next season. They were simply awful this year and it will take awhile to salvage it. Lincoln is a depressing place when the Huskers aren't good at football. I still find it hilarious that the local TV stations interrupted every show whenever there was a conference about Calahan or something to do with football. The best part is on game days, the evening news is condensed literally into 3 minutes out of 30, and the rest is devoted to the Huskers. One I saw covered a murder in town, a rare event, in just a word of passing just so they could get more football coverage. Ah, to attend a university where its football team seems to be the only source of entertainment for the whole state.
Image
Thanks to Digital Chaos, GoldbergWWE, and ace for the avatar, sig, and badge!
http://devcast.dcemulation.com
User avatar
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Posts: 5088
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2002 6:50 pm
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

Re: Anyone watch college football?

Post by butters » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:19 am

mrandyk wrote:
butters wrote:I'm going for LSU, simply because I can't stand the Big 10 conference. They don't even play a conference championship, yet they get included in the national championship. I've never understood that. On top of that, the Big 10 commissioner is one of the biggest defenders of the BCS fiasco system. I want playoffs! Especially after a year like this one.
I fully believe all the BCS conferences should have a conference championship. I find it odd that you bash the Big 10 for not having a championship and still have a team in the national championship. What about USC and the Pac 10? What about West Virginia in the Big East (wouldve played instead of LSU but somehow lost to Pitt)? People always do this to Ohio State in the Big 10, but never the other teams.

As for the game tonight, I tuned in part way into the game and was amazed to see OSU up 10-0. The game still turned out much closer than I thought it would. I think the real winner at the end of the day is Nebraska for getting Bo Pellini back! Maybe the Huskers will take down Oklahoma next year and I can stop living in shame about being a fan of the Huskers and how they havent won a really big game in about 6 years.
Remember a certain team from the state of Missouri that was #2 until it played in the Big 12 championship and lost to Oklahoma for the second time? Had there been no Big 12 championship LSU would have gotten a lower BCS game and Georgia would have been left out of the BCS. The BCS system penalized Missouri so much for losing to the same team twice that they ended up in a regular bowl game and Kansas, who Missouri beat, went to a BCS game.

BTW, I don't care for the Pac 10 either, and know pretty much nothing about the Big East since they don't usually end up on TV much around here.
User avatar
that_guy
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran
Posts: 1042
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2003 11:32 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

Re: Anyone watch college football?

Post by that_guy » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:56 am

butters wrote:That's pretty neat. How's things in the oil country?
Slow and boring yet I work for Clearwire so I get to do a lot of nothing and get paid for it. :D
Synlor wrote:Pellini may be good, but I doubt he can rescue the Huskers by the next season. They were simply awful this year and it will take awhile to salvage it.
Agreed. I don't care who the coach is, the recruiting is going to get that much harder in the north with Mizzou and Kansas actually doing decent this year. It will take a few years for them to actually start getting something together on both sides of the ball again. I remember the days of the option with Nebraska and how they were once almost unstoppable here in the Big 12 with it. Granted Crouch was an over-rated QB who won the Heisman, he at least got his team over .500 and to a few bowl games.
butters wrote:Remember a certain team from the state of Missouri that was #2 until it played in the Big 12 championship and lost to Oklahoma for the second time? Had there been no Big 12 championship LSU would have gotten a lower BCS game and Georgia would have been left out of the BCS. The BCS system penalized Missouri so much for losing to the same team twice that they ended up in a regular bowl game and Kansas, who Missouri beat, went to a BCS game.

BTW, I don't care for the Pac 10 either, and know pretty much nothing about the Big East since they don't usually end up on TV much around here.
On the BCS, Hawaii making it to a bowl game was nice, but with the complete asswhoopin they received from Georgia it placed shame to the previous 2 teams to make it from a non BCS conference, Boise State last year and Utah before them. With that loss people are going to question why Hawaii was there in the first place when a more deserving team should have been there. Personally I feel happy that Hawaii made it, yet I feel Mizzou was robbed and Kansas making it to a BCS game with a sub-par performance against Va Tech shouldn't of been in a bowl game of that caliber.

On the Big East, a lot of their games get played on ESPN on Thursday nights. I watched my preseason pick Louisville lose their first two games there. With that being said, I saw more Big East games than ACC personally.
User avatar
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Posts: 5088
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2002 6:50 pm
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

Re: Anyone watch college football?

Post by butters » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:51 pm

that_guy wrote:
On the Big East, a lot of their games get played on ESPN on Thursday nights. I watched my preseason pick Louisville lose their first two games there. With that being said, I saw more Big East games than ACC personally.
No wonder I don't see there games. I don't usually watch TV on weeknights.
User avatar
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster
Posts: 16220
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2001 6:00 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 15 times
Contact:

Re: Anyone watch college football?

Post by |darc| » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:26 pm

The president of the University of Georgia is calling for an eight-team playoff system for college football's top division, saying the Bowl Championship Series -- which left Georgia out of its championship game -- has become a "beauty contest largely stage-managed by the networks."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3186232
It's thinking...
Post Reply