Weird computer problem

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Dew
Mayks now sents!
Mayks now sents!
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Weird computer problem

Post by Dew »

I'm running Windows XP Pro SP2 and ever since I brought my comp home it seems like something I'm running on it uses up all of the system's resources to the point where I cannot even use the mouse. Eventually it will get back to normal though, it's pretty weird.

It seems to only happen when I start utorrent and peer guardian so I'm assuming that's the cause, but it's strange because I was using them at my dorm and they never gave me any trouble. Last time my comp freaked out I saw one of those exclamation point warnings come up in the taskbar, meaning that my system was dangerously low on resources. Now I'm not running utorrent or peer guardian and everything is working fine.

So what do you guys think it could be, something I'm downloading maybe? A virus/spyware? I certainly don't think it's hardware related since I use this machine for 3D rendering and it was working fine at that. Plus I just cleaned all the dust and crap out of it.
popley
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Re: Weird computer problem

Post by popley »

Have you checked to see if the computer might be over heating? Maybe a good system clean.
"It's only after we've lost everything, that we are truly free to do anything." Fight Club

http://www.geocities.com/nesterdcgamecodes
Dew
Mayks now sents!
Mayks now sents!

Post by Dew »

I just did clean out all the dust. Plus it has a fan on the processor, a rear fan blowing out and another fan on the power supply the sucks in. This system runs wicked cool.

I really don't think it's a hardware issue as it only seems to happen when utorrent and PG2 are running.
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

Borked PG2 update?
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

Have you went into the task manager and looked at the processes to see what is using the CPU?
Dew
Mayks now sents!
Mayks now sents!

Post by Dew »

I checked all that stuff and found nothing. I also ran numerous virus/spyware scans and it came up clean.

I just noticed something strange as hell though, last night it kept doing the locking up crap and I wiggled the front of the case and it stopped. Every time it has happened since I just wiggle the front of the case and it snaps out of it. I think what might be happening is I'm using a PS/2 keyboard and mouse because I left my usual ones at my dorm and perhaps one of the devices is malfunctioning or there's a bad connection somewhere.

I'm gonna swap them out for USB and I'm also gonna open up the case and check over some stuff and clean the RAM for good measure. I'm also going to move the case to a different spot. Hopefully that fixes it. It's still strange though since I can run games and 3D render on this without problems but when I run p2p apps it locks up occasionally. I have gotten it to do it a few times while just using firefox, but it just seems to always occur when I run anything p2p.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Make sure that your Ethernet interface isn't sharing an interrupt with the keyboard or mouse (unfortunately I don't recall the exact procedure for this).
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Dew
Mayks now sents!
Mayks now sents!

Post by Dew »

Ex-Cyber wrote:Make sure that your Ethernet interface isn't sharing an interrupt with the keyboard or mouse (unfortunately I don't recall the exact procedure for this).
Yeah an IRQ conflict did cross my mind. I went into my BIOS and disabled the serial and parallel ports to free up those IRQs, not like I use them anyway.

I did that and all the stuff I mentioned in my previous post and I've got utorrent, peer guardian and firefox going right now and everything seems to be okay now. It probably was a resource conflict.