Obligatory Black Friday Thread

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
S. Thompson
The Fuzmeister
The Fuzmeister
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Obligatory Black Friday Thread

Post by S. Thompson »

Anyone going out to brave the crowds for some crazy deal? I don't have anything specific in mind, but I will probably go out just for the heck of it with a friend of mine (we've been doing it for years just cos we're crazy).

Anyone know of any good deals?

- Fuzmeister
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Re: Obligatory Black Friday Thread

Post by curt_grymala »

I wanted to go out and brave the crowds, but it looks like we're going to have all three kids here tonight, so we won't be able to. It's kind of difficult to go out and buy Christmas presents for the kids if you have to drag them along with you.

There are some really good deals at Toys R Us and the office supply stores. Toys R Us I think has "buy one get one free" on their entire video game stock. Most of the office supply stores and Circuit City and stuff have 2-4 gig SD cards for like $9.99, 50-packs of DVD-/+Rs for like 7-10 bucks, 100-packs of CD-Rs for the same price range, etc.

Wal-Mart has some decent deals on toys and clothes and stuff for the kids, but you're probably not interested in any of that.

[edit]The BOGO deal on video games is at KB Toys, not Toys R Us. Sorry[/edit]
Last edited by curt_grymala on Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

The Local Target has a HD LCD 1080 19 inch TV with built in DVD player for $199. I would love to have that either for a computer monitor or perhaps for my bedroom (although I don't have a HD receiver in there). However I don't see myself standing in line all night for a CHANCE to get it.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

I work at frys electronics, so I have to be at work at 4AM, we open at 5 and I have to work till 9PM. EVERYONE does, fuck.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

I thought about hitting up Staples, but I think I might hit up Best Buy instead. I'll go at 8am, brave the two hour line for checkout, then put on my shirt and start my shift at 11. :lol:
JellyWarrior
General Jelly
General Jelly

Post by JellyWarrior »

Bloody hell, first thanks giving and now black Friday, what's next? Super spending Saturday?
I am involved in : Mytalk | Comet TV | Distinctive Web Services
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

JellyWarrior wrote:Bloody hell, first thanks giving and now black Friday, what's next? Super spending Saturday?
No it's super spending Friday. The day after Thanksgiving is the busiest shopping day of the year, and it has been that way for decades. Most businesses close on Thanksgiving so people would crowd stores stocking up on stuff the next day. Businesses saw this happening and started competing with each other on price, and now you have the chaos that exists now.
JellyWarrior
General Jelly
General Jelly

Post by JellyWarrior »

Sounds like the Boxing Day sales here in Aus (boxing day = 26th December, and also the Day after)
Now that I am living in Sydney I am going to make it a mission to go in to the City and watch people kill each other for the ultimate bargain.
I am involved in : Mytalk | Comet TV | Distinctive Web Services
Mattiethomas
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Mattiethomas »

butters wrote:
JellyWarrior wrote:Bloody hell, first thanks giving and now black Friday, what's next? Super spending Saturday?
No it's super spending Friday. The day after Thanksgiving is the busiest shopping day of the year, and it has been that way for decades. Most businesses close on Thanksgiving so people would crowd stores stocking up on stuff the next day. Businesses saw this happening and started competing with each other on price, and now you have the chaos that exists now.
And isn't it just grand? I love all of the low prices on stuff. Helps me a lot towards building a new computer.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

I didn't go anywhere. I just can't stand how stupid people get over this stuff and I don't want to be around it. I remember last year a women was put in the hospital because she was run over inside walmart while people was fighting to get their hands on a cheap laptop. Last night was pretty cold so there was no way I was standing in line just to get into the store at a chance at one of these deals.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
MKE
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by MKE »

i was very dissapointed with the 'sales' this year. Compared to last, there wasn't anything really on sale. Even our store (best buy) there wasn't even a line to cash out after 6:30 (opened at 5) and it was just a normal, busy day. hell, when i left at 2:30 (got there at 2:30am) there were still 'doorbuster' laptops available, because they really not that good of a deal.

It wouldnt surprise me if in the next few years, the whole black friday thing is gone.

On that though, the only thing i got was 2 seagate 320gbs for 60$. Didnt get them because they were on sale, i needed them it's just i'd rather do that then have them shipped to me from fry's.

*edit* Just put the 2 320's in raid 0 and installed vista ultimate on them, and damn, i never knew raid was that much faster, 55MB/s transfer speed! (copying 40GB of music from old 160GB 7200.10 to the raid 0 7200.10's)
Last edited by MKE on Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XBOX live gamertag: MKEmods
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

My town was just about as crazy as usual. There was a slight dip in people, but it was still bat shit crazy. Someone yelled at me at Shopko because I was going too slow.
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

Mattiethomas wrote:
butters wrote:
And isn't it just grand? I love all of the low prices on stuff. Helps me a lot towards building a new computer.
Does me no good. I'm not going to get up super early to hit the sales and then have to work all day.
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

I looked around and went to a few stores later in the day. Didn't see anything that was really a deal. Most of the stuff they had was just junk or outdated crap with a slightly lower price. No thanks.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

It was a mad house today where I work (Apple Retail) and the sales weren't even anything to write home about. I am sick so I got out early.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Today I didn't even bother getting up until 9. Went into town around 10 with my wife and saw that most stores were not busy at all. But then I got to Best Buy. Holy crap, was that place swamped! I still managed to get a Seagate 320GB hard drive, Spiderman 3 for 360, and the first season of Rome (the last copy in stock) before starting my shift. The traffic never let up, either. This year was definitely more people shopping later in the day, as I heard that the line before we opened was shorter than last year, plus we still had a ton of doorbusters left over only to be grabbed up in mass in the afternoon.

At any rate, I'm so glad to have a hard drive again. I didn't think I could last another month on this 75GB Raptor (my Steam folder alone is 35GB alone).
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

My wife ended up going out shopping by herself yesterday morning, and bought a lot of stuff that was on sale. We've pretty much finished the Christmas shopping for the kids.

The "BOGO" deal on video games at KB ended up being a big bust. Buy one get one free on their entire video game stock doesn't do you much good if their entire video game stock is crap.

Still, she got a bunch of decent deals. I got a handful of good deals online (a new memory stick for my camera - although, if it doesn't come with one of those adapters to make it work in cameras that use the old-style, bigger memory sticks, then it won't yet do me much good; a new memory card for my Wii (both memory cards are 2 gigs); a small spindle of Lightscribe CD-Rs and a small spindle of Lightscribe DVD+Rs so I can try out the Lightscribe functionality on my DVD burner).

Then, we went shopping for a handful of other things later in the day and got some pretty good deals. We got Spiderman 3 and Shrek 3 for $12 each at Wal-Mart (along with Transformers at regular price).
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
S. Thompson
The Fuzmeister
The Fuzmeister

Post by S. Thompson »

I picked up a bluetooth handsfree cyborg earpiece (which I vowed to never get) for a mere 15$ at Staples. Also got the new Gorillaz D-Sides compilation which wasn't a special deal, but I was going to buy it anyway.

- Fuzmeister
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by mrandyk »

pixel wrote:My town was just about as crazy as usual. There was a slight dip in people, but it was still bat shit crazy. Someone yelled at me at Shopko because I was going too slow.
You are talking about Sioux Falls right? I was there on black friday last year and was amazed how crazy it was. I never knew how crazy black friday was until I went to an actual city for it (If 150,000 people is considered a city).
Lunchbox
1337 Food Container
1337 Food Container

Post by Lunchbox »

I crossed the border and spent some time in upstate New York on the weekend. There were a decent amount of deals but I was saving my cash for Rock Band, which was sold out EVERYWHERE. So I ended up with nothing after a day of searching, but on the way back I got an Apollo Creed action figure for like 6 bucks. The border crossing guard looked at me funny when she asked what I had bought lol